Driveline vibration - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-05-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
jeepichigo12

Driveline vibration

Got a 4 inch lift and didnt know the front driveshaft needed to be changed to a different style. Drove to 500 miles till I could get a custom Tommy driveshaft. When I finally swapped it out the drive line vibration got better but was still there so I went to look at the front axle and the fluid looks burnt and the seal looks like its started leaking. Bearings maybe?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-10-2019, 08:19 PM
DocAdams1
2016 JK Wrangler 

Garage
What type jeep do you have? I am assuming that you are running a wrangler. On solid axles when you add lift you change the caster angle, adjustable control arms will allow you to change the caster angle.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-10-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
jeepichigo12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocAdams1 View Post
What type jeep do you have? I am assuming that you are running a wrangler. On solid axles when you add lift you change the caster angle, adjustable control arms will allow you to change the caster angle.
I'm running a wj and the pinion angle is way off but the fluid looks burnt. Hoping correcting the angle fixes the issue

post #4 of 10 Old 06-10-2019, 08:35 PM
DocAdams1
2016 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I am not familiar with the set up on the WJ. How far off is the pinion angle? The fluid could have been a bit burned before the change, but could be a sign of excess heat due to the fluid not lubricating/ cooling due to the change in angle(fluid level/position)
post #5 of 10 Old 06-10-2019, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
jeepichigo12

Quote:
I am not familiar with the set up on the WJ. How far off is the pinion angle? The fluid could have been a bit burned before the change, but could be a sign of excess heat due to the fluid not lubricating/ cooling due to the change in angle(fluid level/position)
It's similar to wrangler. Dana 30 front, Dana 44hd rear and np247 tcase. Had the shop check it out and he said it's so far off his eyes hurt and 3 months prior to that it was rebuilt and had 4.11 gears installed

post #6 of 10 Old 06-11-2019, 09:39 PM
DocAdams1
2016 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Was the fluid changed after break in? Did they correct the pinion angle?
post #7 of 10 Old 06-11-2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
jeepichigo12

Quote:
Was the fluid changed after break in? Did they correct the pinion angle?
Yea I changed it with royal purple 75-140 and they did in the rear but only said it needs a different driveshaft which I put on it

post #8 of 10 Old 06-11-2019, 10:46 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
you say someone put 4.1 gears in it. smells burnt. when new gears are set you must brake them in, keep under 220 is max would rather see maybe 180 at 220 the oil is cooked, done. as well if set wrong can lead to the same end. Both end up galling. Vibration could be a bearing . is there any lateral play at pinion? should be nearly impossible to move laterally.

new gears should have the oil changed after break in. that is as well when you check how they broke in. they lap and leave metal best to get that out no more then 1k i say i tend do it at 700 just did the truck and it takes 1.25 gallons. gears look good enough to tow when they get to about 1k heat cycling is how you break them in not at high speed long distance.

so this type jeep has no CD shaft front? must have been CV razzapa style? did it break a seal and toss grease? two joint old type if it vibes badly enough can ruin a bearing at either end. even end catastrophically.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-15-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
jeepichigo12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
you say someone put 4.1 gears in it. smells burnt. when new gears are set you must brake them in, keep under 220 is max would rather see maybe 180 at 220 the oil is cooked, done. as well if set wrong can lead to the same end. Both end up galling. Vibration could be a bearing . is there any lateral play at pinion? should be nearly impossible to move laterally.

new gears should have the oil changed after break in. that is as well when you check how they broke in. they lap and leave metal best to get that out no more then 1k i say i tend do it at 700 just did the truck and it takes 1.25 gallons. gears look good enough to tow when they get to about 1k heat cycling is how you break them in not at high speed long distance.

so this type jeep has no CD shaft front? must have been CV razzapa style? did it break a seal and toss grease? two joint old type if it vibes badly enough can ruin a bearing at either end. even end catastrophically.
No I changed the driveshaft to have a double u joint on both ends from Tommy custom shafts and the pinion angle is just off but the shop that did it is telling me its beyond their capability to get correct

post #10 of 10 Old 06-16-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
jeepichigo12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepichigo12 View Post
No I changed the driveshaft to have a double u joint on both ends from Tommy custom shafts and the pinion angle is just off but the shop that did it is telling me its beyond their capability to get correct

I broke the gears in like a grandma for 500 miles then changed fluid to royal purple 75-140 inspected gears, looked perfect then proceeded to drive easy another 500 miles but this issue happened after as soon as I had the lift installed, mechanic looked at it said the pinion angle was not properly set so I brought it back to that shop where they have had it a week now trying to properly set it by adjusting the adjustable control arms but they told me it's out of their capability to set and are having a specialty shop do it where I will hopefully see it again. After lift they told me to throw better style front driveshaft so I measured fixed yoke to fixed yoke and ordered custom Tom woods driveshaft with double double cardan style u joints on both ends and issues did get better but the pinion angle was never adjusted correctly and shop told me it's normal for jeeps to be hard to lift but I drove it with original style but still new driveshaft prior to knowing the extent of how far off the pinion angle was off 600 miles on I-20 then came home from work and realized it just isnt right, also experienced death wobble when I hit bad roads going 65+ but that's the only time I experience it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in