1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 35 Old 06-28-2014, 11:02 PM
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by newracer View Post
The current statute states that OHVs must be registered and the definition of an OHV is (pay attention to the bold parts):
Correct. However, this revision (if real) is not about the definition of an Off Highway Vehicle. It is about what is permitted on an OHV route. The claim is that a licensed-vehicle/non-OHV is now required to display an OHV permit/registration while on an OHV trail. This is what Stay the Trail is stating. The relevant questions are what defines an OHV trail and what trails are listed as OHV?

Stay the Trail can say whatever it wants, but it is only a public relations program. It isn't the law. What I should like to see is the actual revised legal statute.

2003 Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 06-28-2014, 11:45 PM
newracer

1999 TJ Wrangler 

The statute has not been revised yet, what I posted is the current statute. The legislature is not in session so any changes will not been until next year. There is no current law that states you must have an OHV registration on a street licensed vehicle to be on an OHV route.

Also there are very few OHV only routes that a full size rig can fit on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #33 of 35 Old 06-30-2014, 08:13 AM
Shakey
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newracer View Post
I recently re-read the statute and by the definition of an off highway vehicle there is no way a person driving a passenger vehicle could get convicted of not having a OHV registration.
I'm not sure that you're reading the correct part, although I admit that I've never read all of the applicable statutes. What about this?

Quote:
33-14.5-112. Off-highway use permit-fees-applications-requirements exemptions.

(1) (a) No later than January 1, 1990, the division of parks and recreation shall devise a plan for implementation of the off - highway use permit program.
(b) On and after January 1, 1991, the owner of every vehicle required to be registered pursuant to article 3 of title 42, C.R.S., and the owner or operator of every motor vehicle and off-highway vehicle from another state or country, when such vehicle is being used for recreational travel upon designated off-highway vehicle routes, shall obtain and display on
such vehicle an off-highway use permit
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
But have you read the current statute since it has allegedly changed? I have yet to find this change or any other mention of it.
I'm not aware of any changes being made to the statute. I'm told that regulations are being drafted for enforcement.

FYI-Stay The Trail has no unique knowledge on this topic and whatever appears on the Stay The Trail website is there only to be consistent with the message from the State of Colorado. You'll find that the US Forest Service and BLM will have consistent messages (or at least they will soon). They, like Stay The Trail, have nothing to do with drafting these laws or enforcing them. However, for educational purposes, all of them are passing along the message as requested by the State.

post #34 of 35 Old 06-30-2014, 10:54 PM
newracer

1999 TJ Wrangler 

33-14.5-112. states you must have the permit to be on a OHV route. There are very few OHV routes that a full size vehicle will fit on. Most of the routes we use are FS, BLM, or county roads.

Personally I buy one because the money goes to a good cause.

post #35 of 35 Old 07-28-2020, 05:36 PM
dlw6
2014 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Texas OHV info

In Texas, a sticker is good 1 Sep - 31 Aug of the year you got it. The web site says $16, but the place I got mine charged $20. It goes in the lower corner of the windshield, driver side. I don't know if the stickers are enforced, because I see 4x4 vehicles all the time with big tires, lift kits, and a dozen stickers about how much they like mud, but no OHV sticker.

More Texas info at tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/texas-off-highway-program

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in