Multi-Owner Shop / Shared Shop Space Around Nashville, TN - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 02-01-2018, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Multi-Owner Shop / Shared Shop Space Around Nashville, TN

I like the idea of a shared shop space and wondering if anyone else would be interested as well. Has anyone heard of others doing something like this? I only know one guy and he bought the shop and is RENTING out some of the space to others.

Here’s the idea at a high level… but this would obviously have to pass by a lawyer to ensure it’s rock solid:

• Open a trust
  • $50k buy-in x 4 people = $200k in trust
  • Plan for around $100k spend on a couple acres of land around Nashville that is convenient for everyone buying in
  • $70k for shop build (as large as money would buy) --- see below for more info
  • $30k for gravel driveway, electrical, plumbing / septic, basic insulation, taxes / fees

The shop would have a basic kitchen / bathroom and maybe a hangout spot above it, and each person would get their own bay, and at the back would all be common area. For a size / cost estimate, Rhino Buildings, which is a good quality supplier, has a 100 x 150 x 16 (15,000 sq ft) steel framed building for $70k (don’t believe this include the foundation though):
http://www.rhinobldg.com/specials/10

WITH THE RIGHT PEOPLE, I think it’s a great idea that allows for shared resources (tools, lifts, trailers, warehouse shelving, etc.) and cuts down ownership costs like taxes and utilities tremendously while having some good buddies to chill with. I can’t stress “right people” enough… as they must be trustworthy, reliable, responsible, financially stable, etc. I don’t want someone in there that never secures the shop when they leave, or someone that borrows a tool, beats it to crap and may or may not return it, or someone that dumps a gallon of oil on the floor and just leaves it there.

I’m thinking a properly drawn up trust should cover everyone and allow for the majority of owners to add or remove someone if needed (and handle the buy-in or buy-out accordingly).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you to all who voted me the
AND
!!!

Built Not Bought... pshh... how about, Wheeled Not Garaged.

An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Buyers / Sellers To Avoid: sidetracked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-01-2018, 01:09 PM
dsaylor

Garage
With the way construction in Nashville has been lately, affordable land may be a thing of the past. Have you found a potential site?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

88 yj 4.2 Weber Carb
Mostly Stock
post #3 of 3 Old 02-01-2018, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Allgood_73
No Compromises

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I was just meaning AROUND the Nashville area and it would depend on where people lived. For instance, if the four owners lived in Nashville, Lebanon, Gallatin, and Madison... the best central location for everyone would probably be Hermitage.

From what I can tell, theres a bunch of areas surrounding Nashville that has 2-5 acres of land for between 50k and 100k:
https://www.landwatch.com/Tennessee_...10000&r.PSIZ=1,

Thank you to all who voted me the
AND
!!!

Built Not Bought... pshh... how about, Wheeled Not Garaged.

An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Buyers / Sellers To Avoid: sidetracked

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in