Upper Michigan offroading - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
 4Likes
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 58 Old 05-16-2019, 08:34 AM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Rhinelander
Posts: 3,496
I haven't heard of any events coming up. Houghton MI does a mud bog every Summer that I've heard from Friends is fun to watch (or compete in if mud is your thing).

If you have any Jeep trouble on your way down the WI side let me know.


Building the right way for 37s.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
toximus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 58 Unread 06-12-2019, 10:40 AM
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict
 
Mud Machine's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Freedom
Posts: 2,181
Garage
Heads up for all following this....

I will be doing another U.P. Fall Color Ride this year. It will be the first weekend of October. (October 5th and 6th) I know it's a bit early but no sense waiting until the last minute. If you are interested in this please post up and I will get more info to you when the time gets closer. This is limited due to the logistics of this ride so please let me know when you can.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


BDS Springs, MetalCloak Arms, Fox Shocks, Warn Winch, Savvy Ft Bumper, Antirock, GenRight Fenders, GR8 Top, 35" Pittbulls, 5.13's, Revolution Axle Shafts, LS/6.0, 4L80e


'76 CJ-7, 33" Swampers, 6-Point Cage, 4-Speed, Dana 300 Twin Stick
Mud Machine is offline  
post #48 of 58 Unread 06-12-2019, 10:51 AM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Rhinelander
Posts: 3,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Machine View Post
Heads up for all following this...….

I will be doing another U.P. Fall Color Ride this year. It will be the first weekend of October. (October 5th and 6th) I know it's a bit early but no sense waiting until the last minute. If you are interested in this please post up and I will get more info to you when the time gets closer. This is limited due to the logistics of this ride so please let me know when you can.
Unless I can't keep the new Jeep running and/or finish up the other, my wife and I are in (1 Jeep).
Mud Machine likes this.

Building the right way for 37s.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
toximus is offline  
 
post #49 of 58 Unread 06-12-2019, 11:10 AM
1longcj
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 832
I plan on being at Drummond Island the weekend of July 6th. If anyone's free that weekend, I would love to have someone to show me around. Looking for lodging too. Probably wont have camping gear yet. Hope the water goes down, I'll still be on 33s.

Life is short, Play hard.
1longcj is offline  
post #50 of 58 Unread 06-12-2019, 11:26 AM
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict
 
Mud Machine's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Freedom
Posts: 2,181
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toximus View Post
Unless I can't keep the new Jeep running and/or finish up the other, my wife and I are in (1 Jeep).
It would be great if you can make it this year. Plus that would mean that awesome Jeep of yours is done. Well, I'm hoping for that anyway. It still makes me want to take the day off to come and see it. You as well of course.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


BDS Springs, MetalCloak Arms, Fox Shocks, Warn Winch, Savvy Ft Bumper, Antirock, GenRight Fenders, GR8 Top, 35" Pittbulls, 5.13's, Revolution Axle Shafts, LS/6.0, 4L80e


'76 CJ-7, 33" Swampers, 6-Point Cage, 4-Speed, Dana 300 Twin Stick
Mud Machine is offline  
post #51 of 58 Unread 06-12-2019, 11:28 AM
SvtLdr
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Fort Wayne
Posts: 26
I'll be wheeling on Dummond Island the weekend of June 29, 2019. Sorry 1longcj, looks like we'll just miss ya. Let me know if anyone else will be up there.
SvtLdr is offline  
post #52 of 58 Unread 06-12-2019, 12:30 PM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Rhinelander
Posts: 3,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Machine View Post
It would be great if you can make it this year. Plus that would mean that awesome Jeep of yours is done. Well, I'm hoping for that anyway. It still makes me want to take the day off to come and see it. You as well of course.
I sure hope so! There's going to be some large delays that I can't help such as sending the coilovers off to be tuned but thankfully it's not race season so the delays shouldn't be too bad. It looks like I'll be down your way later this month getting the tires balanced in Greenbay.

Building the right way for 37s.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
toximus is offline  
post #53 of 58 Unread 06-12-2019, 12:38 PM
1longcj
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 832
I would also like to take the back roads across the top (coming up the Wisconsin side). What's the best route or source for maps?

Life is short, Play hard.
1longcj is offline  
post #54 of 58 Unread 06-12-2019, 12:53 PM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Rhinelander
Posts: 3,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1longcj View Post
I would also like to take the back roads across the top (coming up the Wisconsin side). What's the best route or source for maps?
How back road are you talking? Once you get past somewhere between Escanaba and Green Bay the driving is relaxed and remote even on the main roads/highways and pass through small towns with small diners and stuff.

Building the right way for 37s.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
toximus is offline  
post #55 of 58 Unread 06-12-2019, 01:53 PM
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict
 
Mud Machine's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Freedom
Posts: 2,181
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toximus View Post
It looks like I'll be down your way later this month getting the tires balanced in Greenbay.
Let me know in advance. If I'm available that day I will buy you lunch while you wait.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


BDS Springs, MetalCloak Arms, Fox Shocks, Warn Winch, Savvy Ft Bumper, Antirock, GenRight Fenders, GR8 Top, 35" Pittbulls, 5.13's, Revolution Axle Shafts, LS/6.0, 4L80e


'76 CJ-7, 33" Swampers, 6-Point Cage, 4-Speed, Dana 300 Twin Stick
Mud Machine is offline  
post #56 of 58 Unread 06-12-2019, 02:03 PM
1longcj
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by toximus View Post
How back road are you talking? Once you get past somewhere between Escanaba and Green Bay the driving is relaxed and remote even on the main roads/highways and pass through small towns with small diners and stuff.
I was thinking forest service roads, but that might take too long. I was planning on driving from Milwaukee to Drummond in one day.

Life is short, Play hard.
1longcj is offline  
post #57 of 58 Unread Yesterday, 09:24 AM
cerealwars
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Waterford Twp
Posts: 7
Forest service roads in the UP are awesome! I'd recommend planning your trip on on google maps and seeing if there are any fun detours you might be able to work in along the way. Tons of amazing wilderness to experience up there, and light duty trails are certainly one of the best ways to take it all in. Like Toximus posted, all the main roads are prime for crusing. Even on the busiest weekends of the year, traffic in the UP is a joke and the roads are wonderfully smooth.
cerealwars is offline  
post #58 of 58 Unread Today, 10:19 AM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Rhinelander
Posts: 3,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealwars View Post
Forest service roads in the UP are awesome! I'd recommend planning your trip on on google maps and seeing if there are any fun detours you might be able to work in along the way. Tons of amazing wilderness to experience up there, and light duty trails are certainly one of the best ways to take it all in. Like Toximus posted, all the main roads are prime for crusing. Even on the busiest weekends of the year, traffic in the UP is a joke and the roads are wonderfully smooth.
The most difficult thing about even using Google maps is that if you're actually trying to get someplace and not just exploring, the entire area has lots of dead ends, gates, incorrectly mapped roads and trails, etc. You can be 30 minutes down even a paved road and find that it doesn't connect how you thought it would or a berm has been placed so you can see the road but you don't drive over the berm to get to the road. Most of the mapping was done in the 80s and some future road plans somehow got into the maps. Those plans fell through and new roads have been added so the maps aren't great. Also, don't use snowmobile trails (sometimes also listed as forest roads on some maps) as any indication of being able to pass through. Many go through wet areas that freeze in the winter and are either too deep to cross or protected wetlands.

Building the right way for 37s.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
toximus is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
SW Michigan Trail?????????? johncsmith711 Michigan Jeep Forum 6 03-24-2012 09:23 AM
michigan JY JeepXJMike20 Michigan Jeep Forum 0 09-29-2011 08:58 PM
Upper Penninsula Michigan trails? jahlborn Michigan Jeep Forum 7 10-31-2009 09:45 AM
Trails in LP Michigan? PlaySmart Michigan Jeep Forum 11 09-22-2009 03:53 PM
UP Michigan no1likesme Michigan Jeep Forum 4 11-11-2007 05:44 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome