Upper Michigan offroading - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
 4Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 58 Old 05-16-2019, 08:34 AM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I haven't heard of any events coming up. Houghton MI does a mud bog every Summer that I've heard from Friends is fun to watch (or compete in if mud is your thing).

If you have any Jeep trouble on your way down the WI side let me know.

Building the right way for 37s.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 58 Unread 06-12-2019, 10:40 AM
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Heads up for all following this....

I will be doing another U.P. Fall Color Ride this year. It will be the first weekend of October. (October 5th and 6th) I know it's a bit early but no sense waiting until the last minute. If you are interested in this please post up and I will get more info to you when the time gets closer. This is limited due to the logistics of this ride so please let me know when you can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BDS Springs, MetalCloak Arms, Fox Shocks, Warn Winch, Savvy Ft Bumper, Antirock, GenRight Fenders, GR8 Top, 35" Pittbulls, 5.13's, Revolution Axle Shafts, LS/6.0, 4L80e

'76 CJ-7, 33" Swampers, 6-Point Cage, 4-Speed, Dana 300 Twin Stick
post #48 of 58 Unread 06-12-2019, 10:51 AM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Machine View Post
Heads up for all following this...….

I will be doing another U.P. Fall Color Ride this year. It will be the first weekend of October. (October 5th and 6th) I know it's a bit early but no sense waiting until the last minute. If you are interested in this please post up and I will get more info to you when the time gets closer. This is limited due to the logistics of this ride so please let me know when you can.
Unless I can't keep the new Jeep running and/or finish up the other, my wife and I are in (1 Jeep).
Mud Machine likes this.

post #49 of 58 Unread 06-12-2019, 11:10 AM
1longcj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I plan on being at Drummond Island the weekend of July 6th. If anyone's free that weekend, I would love to have someone to show me around. Looking for lodging too. Probably wont have camping gear yet. Hope the water goes down, I'll still be on 33s.

Life is short, Play hard.
post #50 of 58 Unread 06-12-2019, 11:26 AM
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toximus View Post
Unless I can't keep the new Jeep running and/or finish up the other, my wife and I are in (1 Jeep).
It would be great if you can make it this year. Plus that would mean that awesome Jeep of yours is done. Well, I'm hoping for that anyway. It still makes me want to take the day off to come and see it. You as well of course.

BDS Springs, MetalCloak Arms, Fox Shocks, Warn Winch, Savvy Ft Bumper, Antirock, GenRight Fenders, GR8 Top, 35" Pittbulls, 5.13's, Revolution Axle Shafts, LS/6.0, 4L80e

post #51 of 58 Unread 06-12-2019, 11:28 AM
SvtLdr
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'll be wheeling on Dummond Island the weekend of June 29, 2019. Sorry 1longcj, looks like we'll just miss ya. Let me know if anyone else will be up there.
post #52 of 58 Unread 06-12-2019, 12:30 PM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Machine View Post
It would be great if you can make it this year. Plus that would mean that awesome Jeep of yours is done. Well, I'm hoping for that anyway. It still makes me want to take the day off to come and see it. You as well of course.
I sure hope so! There's going to be some large delays that I can't help such as sending the coilovers off to be tuned but thankfully it's not race season so the delays shouldn't be too bad. It looks like I'll be down your way later this month getting the tires balanced in Greenbay.

post #53 of 58 Unread 06-12-2019, 12:38 PM
1longcj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I would also like to take the back roads across the top (coming up the Wisconsin side). What's the best route or source for maps?

post #54 of 58 Unread 06-12-2019, 12:53 PM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1longcj View Post
I would also like to take the back roads across the top (coming up the Wisconsin side). What's the best route or source for maps?
How back road are you talking? Once you get past somewhere between Escanaba and Green Bay the driving is relaxed and remote even on the main roads/highways and pass through small towns with small diners and stuff.

post #55 of 58 Unread 06-12-2019, 01:53 PM
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
It looks like I'll be down your way later this month getting the tires balanced in Greenbay.
Let me know in advance. If I'm available that day I will buy you lunch while you wait.

post #56 of 58 Unread 06-12-2019, 02:03 PM
1longcj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How back road are you talking? Once you get past somewhere between Escanaba and Green Bay the driving is relaxed and remote even on the main roads/highways and pass through small towns with small diners and stuff.
I was thinking forest service roads, but that might take too long. I was planning on driving from Milwaukee to Drummond in one day.

post #57 of 58 Unread Yesterday, 09:24 AM
cerealwars
2002 WJ 

Forest service roads in the UP are awesome! I'd recommend planning your trip on on google maps and seeing if there are any fun detours you might be able to work in along the way. Tons of amazing wilderness to experience up there, and light duty trails are certainly one of the best ways to take it all in. Like Toximus posted, all the main roads are prime for crusing. Even on the busiest weekends of the year, traffic in the UP is a joke and the roads are wonderfully smooth.
post #58 of 58 Unread Today, 10:19 AM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealwars View Post
Forest service roads in the UP are awesome! I'd recommend planning your trip on on google maps and seeing if there are any fun detours you might be able to work in along the way. Tons of amazing wilderness to experience up there, and light duty trails are certainly one of the best ways to take it all in. Like Toximus posted, all the main roads are prime for crusing. Even on the busiest weekends of the year, traffic in the UP is a joke and the roads are wonderfully smooth.
The most difficult thing about even using Google maps is that if you're actually trying to get someplace and not just exploring, the entire area has lots of dead ends, gates, incorrectly mapped roads and trails, etc. You can be 30 minutes down even a paved road and find that it doesn't connect how you thought it would or a berm has been placed so you can see the road but you don't drive over the berm to get to the road. Most of the mapping was done in the 80s and some future road plans somehow got into the maps. Those plans fell through and new roads have been added so the maps aren't great. Also, don't use snowmobile trails (sometimes also listed as forest roads on some maps) as any indication of being able to pass through. Many go through wet areas that freeze in the winter and are either too deep to cross or protected wetlands.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in