**SOS! Emergency tow needed! Calling all Jeeps near Victorville!** - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 12-20-2008, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
LibertyHopeful
2008 KK Liberty 

Exclamation **SOS! Emergency tow needed! Calling all Jeeps near Victorville!**

Guys, I need your help. I was playing in the snow up by San Bernandino all today and after a great day of 4 hours of off-roading and no incidents, I got stuck on a ridge just as I was heading towards the highway.

The Jeep is a 2008 Liberty 4x4 (with front tow hooks and rear trailer hitch), only 2 weeks old. I called all tow trucks that were available and only two showed up. The first was a 4x4 SUV and the guy said he could get me out, but I wasn't so sure. He wanted $200 and got stuck in the driveway of a house for a minute. The second tow truck was a flatbed and couldn't make it more than halfway up to where my Jeep is.

The Jeep is stuck at about a 30 degree angle, 200 feet from pretty solid ground (solid ground meaning just about any car could drive on it -- I got about 200 feet up the snow packed road before I got stuck), and the passenger side is in the ridge. What happened is I was traveling on the road my GPS said to go to get to the highway and I didn't see the 1 1/2 drop on the side of the road because it was covered by snow so I went in and I'm stuck pretty good.

This happened at 4PM today and at 9PM I headed for a hotel. The people living in a house about 200 feet from where my Jeep is stuck were very nice and invited me inside while I waited for the tow trucks and even brought me to the Marriott Courtyard in Hesperia, where I am now.

They even tried to use their 4x4 Suburban to get me out with a chain-link chain while I put it in reverse but we were both just spinning our wheels.

I don't know what I'm going to do to get it out so I need your guy's help! If you have a very capable off-road 4x4 Jeep with a winch and long cable and either live in the Victorville area or don't mind driving up to help a fellow Jeeper, PLEASE call me at the Marriott Courtyard. The number here is (760) 956-3876. Ask for room 104.

I'm willing to pay $150 to anyone that can get me out, hopefully without damage. I MUST get it out tomorrow as more snow is on it's way Monday.

Please guys, help a fellow Jeeper out. The Jeep is stuck in Oak Hills.

2008 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4
Inferno Red | Pastel Pebble Beige
uConnect GPS Power Sunroof Skid Plate Group Trailer Tow Class III Group
Pirelli Scorpion ATR 235/65R17 WeatherTech Floor Liners Mopar Cargo Tray

Last edited by LibertyHopeful; 12-20-2008 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Added more details
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 12-20-2008, 11:14 PM
Mitchin

2002 TJ Wrangler 

id help if i lived there sry brah all else fails call a tow truck out\

or a WINCH

NIGHT CREW #16
Yellow Jeep Club #67

My Build Thread-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 44 Old 12-20-2008, 11:19 PM
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

Reason #1 why you never wheel alone.

Id be more than happy to help you.....but Im a good 2 days drive away from you.

Heres an Idea..... Go to the local meijer or parts store or hardware store or anything like that, and buy a come along. It will cost you $40, and will take a couple hours to winch yourself out with it, but its better than nothing. Ive had to do that once or twice before. Even if it takes all night, its better than loosing your vehicle, or dying in the cold.

Detonator Yellow JK-X
150w windshield mount long range KC's
bumper mount Hella 500's/ 130w KC drivers
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's

post #4 of 44 Old 12-20-2008, 11:26 PM
Wrangler_91
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would help but your on the wrong side of the country. DO you happen to by any chance have a picture of the way the jeep is stuck? A jack some rocks and a shovel can get you out of a lot of situations they just take longer than a winch. If you could get a few pictures we might be able to figure out a way to get you unstuck.

Sorry but thats all I can do from this end of the country.
post #5 of 44 Old 12-20-2008, 11:31 PM
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

Being stuckin snow isnt all that horrible. Its light, easy to shovel, and compactable. As long as you arent high centered on frozen dirt, a few hours with a shovel might get you out too.

Detonator Yellow JK-X
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
post #6 of 44 Old 12-20-2008, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
LibertyHopeful
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian View Post
Reason #1 why you never wheel alone.

Id be more than happy to help you.....but Im a good 2 days drive away from you.

Heres an Idea..... Go to the local meijer or parts store or hardware store or anything like that, and buy a come along. It will cost you $40, and will take a couple hours to winch yourself out with it, but its better than nothing. Ive had to do that once or twice before. Even if it takes all night, its better than loosing your vehicle, or dying in the cold.
I was actually driving up to meet a group of 8 other Jeeps but was an hour late and had trouble locating where they were so I just went off and had fun on my own. But the plan was to be with the group.

Not sure what a "come along" is, but not going to die in the cold. I'm nice and warm at the Marriott right now. But, I did almost get frost bite out there. I have my ski jacket, but it got down to 29 I believe and I was out there for about 45 minutes at a time. It was very, very cold. Couldn't feel my fingers or toes for about 5 minutes. That's when I knew it was time to go back inside the house of the people who invited me in.

post #7 of 44 Old 12-20-2008, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
LibertyHopeful
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler_91 View Post
I would help but your on the wrong side of the country. DO you happen to by any chance have a picture of the way the jeep is stuck? A jack some rocks and a shovel can get you out of a lot of situations they just take longer than a winch. If you could get a few pictures we might be able to figure out a way to get you unstuck.

Sorry but thats all I can do from this end of the country.
Wish I did have a picture. Actually thought about the fact that I should have taken a couple before I headed to the hotel but the thought came too late. This is my first time off-road so I can't say I'm very experienced and wanted to post here because I'm hoping somebody who is will come and help out.

post #8 of 44 Old 12-20-2008, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
LibertyHopeful
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Being stuckin snow isnt all that horrible. Its light, easy to shovel, and compactable. As long as you arent high centered on frozen dirt, a few hours with a shovel might get you out too.
The problem is, since I'm stuck in a ridge, the passenger side of my Jeep is resting against snow covered dirt that's as hard as concrete. And yes, I think I may be high centered on frozen dirt. Driver side wheels almost aren't touching the ground. They are, but not enough to get any real traction. Hard to tell about passenger side wheels since they are in so deep. Looking underneath the Jeep with a flashlight, it appears to be resting on the frame but don't hold me to that. Didn't crawl under there so I'm not 100%. It's stuck bad, but I know it can be gotten out. It's just going to require the right vehicle and someone who knows what they're doing.

post #9 of 44 Old 12-20-2008, 11:43 PM
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

This is a "come along."

Its a hand operated winch.

The one I have uses a 3/8" cable, and stretches to about 10 feet. It works well, but you spend most of your time resetting it since its only 10' long. I keep it in my recovery bag for the really bad "OH ****" situations where you are either by yourself, or your buddy is stuck too.

Detonator Yellow JK-X
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
post #10 of 44 Old 12-20-2008, 11:53 PM
tigeowner
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
This is a "come along."

The one I have uses a 3/8" cable, and stretches to about 10 feet. It works well, but you spend most of your time resetting it since its only 10' long. I keep it in my recovery bag for the really bad "OH ****" situations where you are either by yourself, or your buddy is stuck too.

That little sucker has saved me a few times. With a little paitience, a shovel and a cumalong.

I suggest getting one of those or a Winch, Along with a shovel and a nice jack.
post #11 of 44 Old 12-20-2008, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
LibertyHopeful
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
This is a "come along."

Problem is, there is nothing to attach the winch to. ?

post #12 of 44 Old 12-21-2008, 12:17 AM
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyHopeful View Post
Problem is, there is nothing to attach the winch to. ?
Thought you said you had recovery hooks?

one end hooks on to a chain or strap strung around a tree or pole, and the other hooks on to your recovery point. You ratchet the handle, and the cable retracts. Once all the cable is pulled in, you reset the chain or strap so you can stretch out the cable and start ratcheting again.

If you mean theres no trees around.......then that sucks. Then youd have to bury an anchor. And in frozen dirt.....thats really hard.

Detonator Yellow JK-X
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
post #13 of 44 Old 12-21-2008, 12:33 AM
TJ Clay
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm in victorville and dont have anything going tomorrow and i'd be willing to give it a try. i've 100 ft of winch cable and 30 ft strap and a shovel and hi lift. let me know if you still need help.

99 TJ 4.0 auto, pe8000, 3" full traction, 33s, bestop tire carrier
post #14 of 44 Old 12-21-2008, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
LibertyHopeful
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Thought you said you had recovery hooks?

one end hooks on to a chain or strap strung around a tree or pole, and the other hooks on to your recovery point. You ratchet the handle, and the cable retracts. Once all the cable is pulled in, you reset the chain or strap so you can stretch out the cable and start ratcheting again.

If you mean theres no trees around.......then that sucks. Then youd have to bury an anchor. And in frozen dirt.....thats really hard.
Yeah, no trees around. Just open field. There's literally NOTHING to tie a come along to other than another vehicle. A neighboor of the people's house I stayed inside to keep warm owns a tractor, but he wasn't home. If he was, I'm sure that tractor would have gotten me out no problem. It's one of those giant Catapillar tractors.

post #15 of 44 Old 12-21-2008, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
LibertyHopeful
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Clay View Post
I'm in victorville and dont have anything going tomorrow and i'd be willing to give it a try. i've 100 ft of winch cable and 30 ft strap and a shovel and hi lift. let me know if you still need help.
Thanks, TJ Clay. I think mrblair's friend has got me covered though. Just talked to him and he's supposed to be coming up tomorrow with a few other Jeeps around 10AM.

Will keep you guys posted! Thanks for all the quick responses!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in