• 1 Post By smokeyyank
  • 1 Post By variable
  • 1 Post By cDee63

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-05-2021, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
variable

1993 ZJ 

ZJ Owner considering a WJ

I apologize in advance if someone else has already posted something similar, my searching didn't turn up anything...

I've been plagued with an unending amount of seemingly unsolvable issues with my 93 ZJ (V8) and for a while was looking at going to a 98, but am starting to feel like I'd only be prolonging the inevitable... Unfortunately I've invested a fair amount in components that I would have been able to swap into a later year (Clayton long arms, some self made rock rails, a decent bumper, Tom Wood driveshafts, SYE, etc.).

I know which things are almost certainly not going to be transplantable on a WJ, but my biggest question mark is the long arm kit. I haven't been able to find anything that would indicate one way or the other if I can reuse them if I went with a WJ. I'm betting the arms themselves are probably somewhat agnostic, but even on my ZJ, they are kind of a tight fit in certain spots. I haven't actually installed the rear end long arms; that kit is still in it's box, but the front has the truss welded in and 3 link mounted up etc. I'm not happy with the way the geometry worked out with the caster in particular anyway, so I'm sure I'd have to re-do the truss.

Anyway, don't want to get ahead of myself, just doing research at the moment. The HO V8 seems to be the way to go on the WJ, though I've only just started poking through the WJ forums so at the moment, Wikipedia and Google are my sources, but one thing at a time.

To simplify, what's swappable and worth doing, what's swappable and not worth doing, and what's really not swappable at all?

93 ZJ V8 5.2 - K&N FIPK, lots of headaches
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-05-2021, 09:27 AM
smokeyyank

It's not a bolt up at all. WJ is wider than a ZJ. You'll end up having to fab it and really isn't going to save you anything. You'd be better selling it and getting long arms for a WJ pending you get a WJ. Really nothing will cross over at all, easily.
Bigrigr likes this.

04 WJ, 4.7HO
3" IRO lift, fastman TB, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" exhaust
post #3 of 10 Old 10-05-2021, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
variable

1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyyank View Post
It's not a bolt up at all. WJ is wider than a ZJ. You'll end up having to fab it and really isn't going to save you anything. You'd be better selling it and getting long arms for a WJ pending you get a WJ. Really nothing will cross over at all, easily.
That makes me sad Maybe that would be for the best though.. Are WJs as plagued by weird electrical issues as ZJs would seem to be?

post #4 of 10 Old 10-05-2021, 01:25 PM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

Mine is!

For a WEAK and IGNORANT people, SERF-dom is a Reward, not a Curse. W1CCW
post #5 of 10 Old 10-05-2021, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
variable

1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled jeep View Post
Mine is!
I think what I'm hearing is, "Jeeps" have weird electrical issues... lol Maybe I'm expecting too much... then again, I seem to be a glutton for punishment
leadsled jeep likes this.

post #6 of 10 Old 10-05-2021, 03:09 PM
smokeyyank

Quote:
Originally Posted by variable View Post
That makes me sad Maybe that would be for the best though.. Are WJs as plagued by weird electrical issues as ZJs would seem to be?
Mine hasn't been too bad but I no longer daily it. Some little quirks but nothing too crazy.

04 WJ, 4.7HO
3" IRO lift, fastman TB, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" exhaust
post #7 of 10 Old 10-05-2021, 04:16 PM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by variable View Post
Its going to be about the same amount of electric issues, I have been fortunate enough to get 1 with mechanical issues and no electrical. I was also a zj owner I had a 94 laredo and I did a ton of things to mine like putting an overhead console into it repinning the 100 1 way connections.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-05-2021, 04:32 PM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
If you're "plagued with an unending amount of seemingly unsolvable issues" a WJ will not be much of a new thing, lol. The only difference is the issues will be different but the same. Electrical gremlins, yes, but maybe not as many. If you're liking the reliability of the basic V8 a 4.7 will take a different set of rules regarding maintenance, it will NOT tolerate getting hot like a 5.3 would for example. Kicked rockers are another joyful event a 5.3 will never do. That being said I have had a couple ZJ's, the WJ IMO is world's better in many respects.
Bigrigr likes this.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag
post #9 of 10 Old 10-05-2021, 05:41 PM
snowbuggy
2004 WJ 

I wanted a ZJ for a while but cold not find a decent one. WJ's are everywhere.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-12-2021, 07:29 AM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

Mine is 4.7HO and in a non-salt environment. I am going through and checking all grounds as a start, but yes I’ve had crazy issues especially with the stupid BUS system and idiotic wires breaking inside the external insulation. Bad copper alloy choice I assume making it brittle over the years? I know they didn’t plan for a 20yr lifespan but hell, my Lexus ES300 of the same 2002 year has 100k More miles on it (330k) and has no electrical issues. Damn corner cutters and penny pinchers. Ggggrrrrr…. Mechanically I luv it.

For a WEAK and IGNORANT people, SERF-dom is a Reward, not a Curse. W1CCW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in