Wrong PS Fluid. Worth a flush? - JeepForum.com
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-26-2021, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
[email protected]t

2004 WJ 

Garage
Wrong PS Fluid. Worth a flush?

It's recently come to my attention that I've been putting the wrong power steering fluid in my 04 WJ with hydro radiator fan. At each of the last 4-or-so oil changes (the Jeep only drives about 3000 miles a year) I've been draining the PS reservoir of fluid with my might vac and filling it with nice, clean ATF+4. If you don't already know what I just learned recently, this is not the correct power steering fluid for WJ's with the hydraulic radiator fan! The correct PS fluid is any fluid that carries the Chrysler spec "5931". To make things more frustrating, I actually have about 5 quarts of Valvoline Synpower PS fluid sitting in my basement just taking up space, and the label carries the correct spec.

I did some searching online and found that Valvoline used to make a product in their "Synpower" lineup that is a power steering flush chemical. I think the whole Synpower lineup has since been retired (or since rebranded), but you can still find the PS flush product in various places for about 20 bucks. I included a picture I found on an Ebay listing. I've noticed over the last few months that my power steering pump has gotten a bit noisier, but I've noticed no detriment to steering assist or cooling fan function. I plan to drain the PS system and refill it with this Valvoline PS fluid, but is it worth trying the flush chemical? Has anyone used the flush chemical? Anyone think the flush chemical will make things worse? I've never been a fan of transmission or engine flush chemicals. Cooling system flush chemicals I use when I acquire a vehicle with an unknown history, but before my searching I'd never even been aware of a PS flush chemical.

Attached Thumbnails
2021-09-26 15_01_22-Valvoline Synpower Power Steering Flush Service Kit _ eBay and 19 more pages.jpg   DSCF9842[1].jpg   DSCF9843[1].jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-26-2021, 03:25 PM
speednjay

Ya I’d flush it out. Redline also has the proper spec fluid.
[email protected] likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-26-2021, 08:45 PM
Mattimus_LV

2004 WJ 

Garage
Just my .02 worth. You're already worried about having the wrong fluid in there, and I wouldn't put yet another non-spec fluid (the flush chemicals) in there.

Easiest way to replace the ATF+4 with the right stuff would be to empty & refill the reservoir several times and running the engine for a minute or so in between empty/fill cycles while you turn the wheels both directions 5-6 times to circulate fluid through the system. Power steering system (w/ the hydraulic fan) is about 2qts if my memory is right. You say you've got 5qts of 5931 spec Valvoline, so if you use it all you'll have diluted the +4 to negligible levels.

After that's completed, it's never a bad idea to exchange a quart of fluid in the reservoir using the same method as above every other time you do an oil change. Service intervals call for checking the lower steering fluid every 7,500mi anyway, so incorporate fluid exchange into your maintenance schedule.
[email protected] and WJ60 like this.

2004 WJ Overland
IG @touristy.as.fck

post #4 of 10 Old 09-27-2021, 01:05 AM
carlsondrew3
Amateur Wrencher

2004 WJ 

Garage
Iíd agree with the comments above. Itís surprising you havenít had any issues so far with the system as theyíre known for being super picky in my experience. So definitely flush it, no sense in prolonging the possibility of future costly issues if youíve got the fluid and have the means to replace it. Just get as much of it out, but I will second that a chemical flush likely isnít needed.
[email protected] likes this.

2004 WJ 4.0L - "Jordan"
2.5" Lift, Rusty's Front Springs, BDS Rear Springs, FOX 2.0 BDS IFP,
IRO Custom Double Cardan Front Driveshaft

Check it out on RevKit and Instagram:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-27-2021, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
[email protected]

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattimus_LV View Post
Just my .02 worth. You're already worried about having the wrong fluid in there, and I wouldn't put yet another non-spec fluid (the flush chemicals) in there.
I like to think that if Valvoline sells the flush with their fluid (that carries the correct spec), then the flush chemical would also adhere to the spec, but maybe they don't care about that since you don't leave it in there.

I guess I'll go ahead with the multiple drain-and-fills to try and dilute any +4 that's left in there. I was doing one drain and fill at each oil change and that's how the +4 got in there.

I appreciate the input all!
post #6 of 10 Old 09-27-2021, 05:54 PM
Glasssplinter
2001 WJ 

Working on mine with the same issue, either the pump or the fan would whine. Been swapping out the fluid bit by bit with a hand pump and it has quieted down. I think the PO of my Jeep used whatever fluid had the correct name on it and didn't worry about specs at all. Transfer case sounds better now with different fluid (TSC hydraulic) in it.

sold '94 ZJ, 4.0L, 231 TC

DD '01 WJ, 4.7
post #7 of 10 Old 09-28-2021, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
[email protected]

2004 WJ 

Garage
My local you-pull-it is part of the LKQ network so they list all their in-stock vehicles online complete with VINs. I run the VINs with my Carfax subscription to check mileages (thank you digital odometers) and also see if there are any recent repairs on the vehicles. A few weeks ago a 2001 WJ 4.7 hit the lot with only 169k miles and a power steering pump that was changed out 5000 miles before the vehicle hit the yard. I picked up the pump and hydro fan assembly for a grand total of $49 bucks just in case. If a lower mile hydro fan assembly shows up I'll probably pull that one too!
electricd, Mattimus_LV and WJ60 like this.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-28-2021, 09:16 PM
Mattimus_LV

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
My local you-pull-it is part of the LKQ network so they list all their in-stock vehicles online complete with VINs. I run the VINs with my Carfax subscription to check mileages (thank you digital odometers) and also see if there are any recent repairs on the vehicles. A few weeks ago a 2001 WJ 4.7 hit the lot with only 169k miles and a power steering pump that was changed out 5000 miles before the vehicle hit the yard. I picked up the pump and hydro fan assembly for a grand total of $49 bucks just in case. If a lower mile hydro fan assembly shows up I'll probably pull that one too!
I've thought about doing the same thing. Was at a junkyard last month for some odds & ends, they had 2 WJs with the hydro fans but I didn't have time before closing to pull either. Might be worth having at least one on hand in the years to come.

2004 WJ Overland
IG @touristy.as.fck
post #9 of 10 Old 09-30-2021, 12:13 PM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

Amsoil Power Steering fluid also meets Chrysler 5931 fwiw. No I am not selling it just sharing educational info.

I think this is a link on the tech sheet .

https://www.amsoil.com/p/multi-vehic.../#pills-home_0

For a WEAK and IGNORANT sheople, SERF-dom is a Reward, not a Curse. W1CCW
post #10 of 10 Old 09-30-2021, 02:49 PM
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
The last time I was at the jy I grabbed a hydraulic fan for my parts shelf. You never know when you'll need it. Cost $29.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5221_1633031329666.jpg  

'77 Chevy C10 pickup
'01 WJ 60th Anniversary Edition
'13 Dodge Dart Rallye

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in