WJ Washer Bottle Relocation Solution! - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 07-05-2012, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
85IrocZ-28

1999 WJ 

WJ Washer Bottle Relocation Solution!

Common WJ problem...tearing out washer pumps and/or wiring when offroad. The factory washer bottle is just in front of the drivers tire, and is very susceptible to damage when your axle articulates offroad.

Some of you WJ owners are lucky in that you don't have a charcoal canister under your hood, and you can use a ZJ bottle under the hood and ditch the WJ one. That isn't an option for me as I have a 99. Until 02 (IIRC), the charcoal canister is under the hood instead of behind the rear bumper.

I thought of making a cowl induction hood to relocate my air filter to the box on top of the throttle body. However, I decided that the hood scoop wasn't a look I wanted right now. I am happy with the current body lines, and didn't want to alter them any more.

I thought I would follow Skully's mod and use another vehicle washer bottle, so I spent some time at a salvage yard. Most of the bottles were too large, had a weird shape, or were so sun rotted that I couldn't use them.

So I decided to use a small bottle from Napa and tap it for the WJ washer pumps. Here is what I bought:

It does not have as large of a capacity as the factory bottle and I will have to re-fill it more frequently. But I haven't actually been running a washer bottle due to the bad location with large tires. Anything is better than pouring water out of the sunroof to clean your windshield.

The first step was to drill out two holes for the washer pumps. I may have been able to go 1/4 inch lower before the bend in the plastic, but oh well. I used a 3/4 inch bit, then used sandpaper to sand/enlarge it a bit more to match the diameter of the holes in the stock WJ bottle. I just used a rubber end cap and a worm drive clamp to close off the coolant tube passage.

Then I popped in the rubber grommets from the factory WJ bottle:

Pumps installed:

To trim down on height, I drilled new holes on the mounting tabs and cut the top section off:

I grabbed some spare sheet metal and fabbed up a small box/bracket to hold the washer bottle. The holes are for a bottom mounting tab I will not use, and for the coolant plug at the bottom that I will not be using, and have sealed off. I know I could have used different motors that siphon fluid from the top, but the WJ pumps and wiring can be easily used. I sprayed it with some flat black spray paint after getting it installed.

As the heat shield will rub a bit on a line above the engine, and also a brake line, I covered both with small lengths of rubber hose to prevent fatigue and/or rupture.

The metal tray (heat shield) was necessary because this will be directly above the head and exhaust on the drivers side.
Then I pulled out the metal tray drilled some mounting holes in it and painted it black.

The final mounting task was to cut a bit off of the plastic cowl panel. I trimmed more than I needed to, but it is mostly covered by the gasket when re-installed and isn't visible with the hood closed. It is a coolant bottle, but I may try and come up with something to label the cap.

I added a little length to the electrical wires (because I didn't want to tear into the wiring loom any further back than the airbox) and re-wrapped them, and retained the factory electrical connectors. I ran the wires and fluid tubes next to the firewall, and viola!

After a road trip up canyon highways at 99 degrees, the heat shield and bottle held up well. I am glad to finally have a permanent solution to this problem.

A BIG thanks to Skully'sXJ for the inspiration when he did this to his WJ. His voyager bottle mod has had me thinking about this for a long time.

Total cost: ~$12.50 for the washer bottle and rubber plug.
I already had sheetmetal, electrical tape, electrical connectors, and some extra wire on hand, but you would need to spend a few more $ if you needed that stuff.

*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY ---
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 07-05-2012, 03:00 AM
the88thpianoman

2003 WJ 

Brilliant and creative solution. Thanks for sharing!

2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 40 Old 07-05-2012, 06:32 AM
skain8

2002 WJ 

Nice job.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's

post #4 of 40 Old 07-05-2012, 05:18 PM
duranged

2001 WJ 

very nice. i'll be adding this to my (ever growing) to-do list
f0xtrawt likes this.

2001 WJ Limited; 4.7L; 4.5" RK LA; 305:65:17 ProComp Xtreme AT; 231 HD w/ SS SYE; KOR sliders; ARB front w/Warn and in-cab controls; Custom4x4Fab rear; Dual Battery via 12voltguy.
post #5 of 40 Old 07-05-2012, 08:52 PM
narnwv

2000 WJ 

very nice. I still need a washer bottle (going on 2 years without one)

FWIW, I saw that someone put a Dodge Caravan bottle in the same location at some point. I wish I would've saved that thread.....

~Aaron

post #6 of 40 Old 07-05-2012, 09:42 PM
torquemonster
2004 WJ 

Nicely done! Looks like during the winter the washer fluid will be warm too! Two birds, one stone.
post #7 of 40 Old 07-05-2012, 10:11 PM
BLACK04WJ

2006 LJ Wrangler 

saw this mod first hand today and it looks awesome! the bottle is bigger than it looks in the pictures. might be on my to-do list if I can't find a ZJ bottle.

Sent straight from my WJ

06 LJ Rubi / 97 TJ / 04 WJ
Oct '12 GCOTM
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/unlimited-lj-2212193/
post #8 of 40 Old 07-05-2012, 10:35 PM
ZB_WJ
2004 WJ 

Nice write up.

I think we all just need a beer. :cheers2: (courtesy of ChrisHager)

This forum is a double edge blade, it's saved me thousands in repairs and cost me thousands in mods
post #9 of 40 Old 07-05-2012, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
85IrocZ-28

1999 WJ 

Thanks Everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
FWIW, I saw that someone put a Dodge Caravan bottle in the same location at some point. I wish I would've saved that thread.....
Skully'sXJ did that write up, he used a voyager bottle in his WJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquemonster View Post
Nicely done! Looks like during the winter the washer fluid will be warm too! Two birds, one stone.
That is what I was thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK04WJ View Post
saw this mod first hand today and it looks awesome! the bottle is bigger than it looks in the pictures. might be on my to-do list if I can't find a ZJ bottle.

Sent straight from my WJ
It was good to see you and your wife, and talk Jeeps for a bit. Maybe I will measure how much it holds next time I need to fill it.

*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY ---
post #10 of 40 Old 07-14-2012, 05:52 PM
twinscrews
2003 WJ 

Turned out great! Would you happen to know the HxWxD?
post #11 of 40 Old 07-14-2012, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
85IrocZ-28

1999 WJ 

5H x 6.5W x 4.25D.

The top cap adds another inch, and the washer pumps stick out about 1.75 inches.

Sent from my HTC Android cellular device using JeepForum

2012 JeepForum GCOTY ---
post #12 of 40 Old 07-15-2012, 01:37 AM
pincheburro956
1999 WJ 

Subd, will do this soon..

"Not a single **** shall be given."

99 WJ, 2" BB, 245/75/16 Falken Rocky Mountain ATS.
post #13 of 40 Old 07-15-2012, 04:08 PM
twinscrews
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28
5H x 6.5W x 4.25D.

The top cap adds another inch, and the washer pumps stick out about 1.75 inches.

Sent from my HTC Android cellular device using JeepForum
Nice! Will fit my wj so don't have to ditch the stock air box
post #14 of 40 Old 07-16-2012, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
85IrocZ-28

1999 WJ 

That is exactly why I did it. It doesn't require any modifications under the hood (airbox or charcoal canister), just a simple heat shield to keep it protected from the exhaust below.
Capnron1 likes this.

2012 JeepForum GCOTY ---
post #15 of 40 Old 07-16-2012, 01:25 PM
00JGC00
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85IrocZ-28 View Post
Skully'sXJ did that write up, he used a voyager bottle in his WJ.
R.I.P.

"The" Matt | '00 Limited WJ | "The White Wolf" aka "Willow" aka "Cool Whip" aka "Sweet 'N Low" aka "AKA"
Utah JeepCrew #39 | Club Matt #1
December '11 GCOTM | Build: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/life-times-979511/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in