WJ Upcountry Springs- let's settle the confusion! - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BeetleCamry

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-11-2014, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
wxmanWJ
2000 WJ 

Wj WJ Upcountry Springs- let's settle the confusion!

I have done about 2 hours of searching this morning trying to figure out about the WJ Upcountry. Obviously I'm aware of wjjeeps, and that info was a good starting point. More info:

I have a 2000 WJ with STANDARD non-UC suspension. Recently I went to the pick and pull looking for parts and stumbled on a 2001 WJ 4.7L 60th anniv. edition. I saw it had tow hooks and skid plates so I snagged the springs thinking it probably also had UC. I requested a build sheet and verified it had UC springs.

Here's the problem- wjjeeps has two part numbers listed for front and rear. There seem to be two schools of thought from many forum posts I came across during my searching:

1. One is for I6 and one is for V8 (i.e. 52088267 front and 52088344 rear for I6 and 52088268 front and 52088345 rear for V8)
2. One is from earlier model years and one is from later model years (i.e. 52088267/52088344 for earlier model years (BOTH I6/V8) and 52088268/52088345 for later model years (BOTH I6/V8))

The whole reason I'm asking about this is because there were only three springs- one of the rears was gone. Unfortunately, so were the spring tags with the P/N on them. Is there any reliable way to determine which UC springs these are based on the model year and/or motor size? I don't want to order a 52088345 spare for the rear if the other one is a 52088344!

I also came across a July 2002 revision of the 2001 WJ parts catalog and it had both part numbers and codes listed even for the front and rear springs shown on wjjeeps. One way to potentially verify what part numbers these are is to find an original 2001 revision of the 2001 parts catalog and see if both numbers are listed. If they are, then I have to imagine one is for I6 and one is for V8.

Anyone care to chime in?

My "stocker" build thread: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/my-first-jeep-owning-adventure-1532212
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-11-2014, 11:18 AM
thevanillaninja
2002 WJ 

I'd bet someone has a set they've pulled off to put on a lift and could measure them - if you give me a few weeks I'll measure my upcountry springs and then see if someone chimes in about their standard height springs.

02 Overland 3"/31s
Tows a 21' TT
SOLD - 89 XJ 3", 32's, & cut
MK2 USCG
post #3 of 14 Old 06-11-2014, 11:39 AM
alfaitalia

2004 WJ 

Even if you find the correct part for that particular Jeep using one (potentially) 13 year old spring on the same axle as a new one will never be a great idea...they probably won't even be the same length. Springs, just like shocks, brake discs etc, should always be replaced in pairs unless you want odd handling or a lopsided Jeep!

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got yourself an electrical problem!

post #4 of 14 Old 06-11-2014, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
wxmanWJ
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
Even if you find the correct part for that particular Jeep using one (potentially) 13 year old spring on the same axle as a new one will never be a great idea...they probably won't even be the same length. Springs, just like shocks, brake discs etc, should always be replaced in pairs unless you want odd handling or a lopsided Jeep!

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.

This is a good point. I'll probably replace both rears. My curiosity is still piqued from all the research I did though. Which P/N for which years and motors? We'll see what the knowledge base here comes up with!

My "stocker" build thread: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/my-first-jeep-owning-adventure-1532212
post #5 of 14 Old 06-11-2014, 11:46 AM
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Garage
There may be a difference in the rears based on whether it had a tow package or not?

Just another old fart in a Jeep... watchout younguns!!!
RC LA, IRO 6 in springs, OTK, Bilsteins, Aussie, Eaton, RCV's, 242-SYE, hidden winch, JCR Stage 3, skidded and trussed & sleeved
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
post #6 of 14 Old 06-11-2014, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
wxmanWJ
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
There may be a difference in the rears based on whether it had a tow package or not?
This is definitely another possibility, as I know not all V8's/Overland's came with the tow package. Another variation that will be hard to confirm but a definite possibility for why there's two different P/N. Good suggestion!

post #7 of 14 Old 06-13-2014, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
wxmanWJ
2000 WJ 

OK everyone. I did some serious online research. I used google and searched for every single build sheet that someone posted for WJ's. I combined this with one that I had for a 2001. Here's my tabulated results:

There are 19 total build sheets I found. Of those 19, four did not contain any sales codes for the springs (white highlight). All of those 4 were Overland models WITH Upcountry Suspension (UCS). QD = Quadradrive, HDS = Heavy Duty Suspension, SDS = Standard Duty Suspension (also Upcountry delete on Overland's) LFS = Left Front Spring, LRS = Left Rear Spring, RFS = Right Front Spring, RRS = Right Rear Spring. You can see that the most popular spring combination is highlighted in orange, with all of these models being from 1999-2001. The two Overland's in 2002 both had another combination (yellow highlighting) and the lone 2004 model with Upcountry had yet a third Upcountry spring combination (teal highlight). Tow package (AHX) did not seem to have a bearing on what springs were used. It seems it's a differentiation between 1999-2001 and 2002-2004, aside from the odd Limited model (row 2).

I also found it interesting that for ALL Limited models, the sales codes ended in "P", but for Overland models the sales codes end with "S" (example: ALL Overland models above indicate Quadradrive with "AWBS", but for limiteds it is "AWBP"). Anyone have any thoughts on this?

It would be interesting to find more Overlands from 2002-2004 with the Upcountry springs, as well as Limiteds from 2002-2004 with the Upcountry springs and see what the sales codes were. Based on the sales codes, you can then cross reference on wjjeeps.com to get what part numbers these springs were.

An interesting side note- some build sheets I found did not contain the sales codes for the springs. If you generate an option sheet using the online tool, it lists the springs but no sales codes. I contacted Jeep by phone and they weren't sure why my build sheet didn't contain that information via e-mail, because they could see it. I think the best chance we have at solving which spring codes came on which models is to find someone at a dealership willing to check VIN's and see the sales codes. Any thoughts?

EDIT: I realized I don't have any I6 models with UC in the sample. It might be helpful to find build sheets for some of these too. I can provide the links to the build sheets above if anyone's interested.

post #8 of 14 Old 06-13-2014, 06:09 PM
Trav1s
2004 WJ 

I am surprised Kolak has not posted in this thread. His WJ knowledge will likely help the discussion.

04 Columbia Ed 4.7 HO/QTII/SSD107/UC/Bilstein 4600/RB4/Moabs/Cooper Discoverer AT3's/PML trans pan
post #9 of 14 Old 11-14-2019, 01:47 PM
Yuros

Going to try and resurrect this 5yo thread as I'm still confused about the Up Country suspension. My WJ Overland build sheet lists Up Country Suspension Group(97-2-26) under Standard Equipment but then under Options i have Normal Duty Suspension. Does this mean that Up Country was deleted as a dealer option and I don't actually have Up Country? Of course, all stickers are gone from the springs, but one of the rear shocks has a part number WJ-R STD 52088221AG. The shocks may have been replaced by PO without knowing about Up Country, which I'm sure is common. My WJ has all other options associated with Up Country (as per WJJEEPS); skid plates, Goodyear Wrangler SR-A, tow hooks, etc.
Its time to replace all shocks and I need to know which parts to get.
I appreciate any clarification!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BuildSheetServlet.pdf (6.7 KB, 3 views)
post #10 of 14 Old 11-15-2019, 12:28 AM
Kolak
Vendor

Up Country was a delete option and it appears yours got deleted in favor of normal duty suspension.

If you look here you'll see your 3-letter spring codes:

https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check...GW68J83C568375

Per the chart over on wjjeeps.com, you have normal duty springs:

http://www.wjjeeps.com/upcountry.htm

Are you thinking you'd like to upgrade to Up Country?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuros View Post
Going to try and resurrect this 5yo thread as I'm still confused about the Up Country suspension. My WJ Overland build sheet lists Up Country Suspension Group(97-2-26) under Standard Equipment but then under Options i have Normal Duty Suspension. Does this mean that Up Country was deleted as a dealer option and I don't actually have Up Country? Of course, all stickers are gone from the springs, but one of the rear shocks has a part number WJ-R STD 52088221AG. The shocks may have been replaced by PO without knowing about Up Country, which I'm sure is common. My WJ has all other options associated with Up Country (as per WJJEEPS); skid plates, Goodyear Wrangler SR-A, tow hooks, etc.
Its time to replace all shocks and I need to know which parts to get.
I appreciate any clarification!

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 14 Old 11-15-2019, 10:02 AM
Yuros

@Kolak , thank you for clarifying. That settles it.
So crucial bit for anyone in a similar situation: if you have WJ Overland - Up Country will be listed under standard equipment, but if you also have "Normal Duty Suspension" under options that means original purchaser chose to delete UpCountry and go with a regular suspension.

Yes, I'm a bit disappointed that I don't have UpCountry
I wouldn't mind a minor 1"-2" lift purely for aesthetics. Is upgrading to UpCountry just a matter of replacing the springs?
I desperately need to replace the shocks, so at least I now have a lot more options to choose from (and cheaper) than UpCounty. Think I'll go with KYB KG5744 Gas-a-Just Monotubes.
post #12 of 14 Old 11-15-2019, 10:09 AM
JoMc67

Garage
Just go ahead and get both Up-Country Springs @ Shocks from Kolak...or, at least the Shocks.
post #13 of 14 Old 11-15-2019, 12:50 PM
Kolak
Vendor

All it takes is a spring replacement to upgrade. If you do the upgrade to Up Country springs, I would also recommend replacing your rubber spring isolators since they are no doubt squashed and cracked by now if they are the originals.

If I can assist with springs or shocks please PM me here on the forum or email me at [email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuros View Post
@Kolak , thank you for clarifying. That settles it.
So crucial bit for anyone in a similar situation: if you have WJ Overland - Up Country will be listed under standard equipment, but if you also have "Normal Duty Suspension" under options that means original purchaser chose to delete UpCountry and go with a regular suspension.

Yes, I'm a bit disappointed that I don't have UpCountry
I wouldn't mind a minor 1"-2" lift purely for aesthetics. Is upgrading to UpCountry just a matter of replacing the springs?
I desperately need to replace the shocks, so at least I now have a lot more options to choose from (and cheaper) than UpCounty. Think I'll go with KYB KG5744 Gas-a-Just Monotubes.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

or
post #14 of 14 Old 11-15-2019, 11:55 PM
BeetleCamry

2004 WJ 

I upgraded to Upcountry springs from Kolak. Did springs/bilstein 4800/isolators/bumpstops. My suspension was slamming over every little bump in the road. Anyway, it ended up raising the front and rear about 2 inches. Thing handles like a car now, onramps I can take super quick haha. Kolak knows his stuff.
Kolak likes this.

2004 Grand Cherokee Special Edition / Quadra-Trac-2 / Midnight Blue Pearl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in