WJ Speaker Baffles for Moisture Protection - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 08-17-2021, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Curly48
2001 WJ 

Garage
WJ Speaker Baffles for Moisture Protection

So has anyone attempted to install "Speaker Baffles" to be used more so as a moisture protection for the speakers located within the front and rear doors? I have measured the "Depth Clearance" from Speaker Mounting Locations to the window in rolled down position: Front door depth clearance to window is ~3-1/16", Rear door depth clearance to window is ~2-9/16". Stock Speakers (Not Infinity) have maybe 1/2" clearance from magnet to window for the Front Doors, and about 5/8" clearance for the Rear Doors. I've been looking at the "Boom Mat" 6x8 Oval Slim for front doors, and the "Boom Mat" 5.25 Round Slim for the rear doors. The dimensions are really tight, leaving only about 1/16" clearance from the rear of the baffle to the Window. Any ideas? Anyone been down this road?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-17-2021, 02:19 PM
Soem0

I have not gone down this road. I have however had it in my thoughts. Have you thought of maybe just going with a Marine grade speaker?
post #3 of 20 Old 08-17-2021, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Curly48
2001 WJ 

Garage
Upgrades on the Audio System are not in my budget right now. I'm only addressing the Speaker Baffle Moisture Protection because I have all the Door Panels off right now chasing down a rain leak. Which I found caused by a small opening at the Rear Passenger Door, Outer Belt Weatherstrip, right at the bottom where the fixed window and the power window meet. Four new Outer Belt Weatherstrips are waiting for installation if this rainy weather ever stops. I'm going to contact "Design Engineering Inc." (they make the Boom Mat Speaker Baffles) and get a better idea on the dimensions.

post #4 of 20 Old 08-18-2021, 04:48 AM
wjkeith

Garage
I tried and failed on the front 6x9. Seems like not much room for error.
post #5 of 20 Old 08-18-2021, 07:36 AM
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
When I did door work in the past I replaced the splash shield with bathtub liner. I cut it at the speaker location to be a flap that hangs over the top of the speaker. As the window goes up and it hits the flap, the flap will raise a little until the bottom of the window passes and it falls back down over the speaker. It sounds like you're wanting to seal it 100%, which makes sense in a wet climate. I live in a high desert area.

'77 Chevy C10 pickup
'01 WJ 60th Anniversary Edition
'13 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #6 of 20 Old 08-23-2021, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Curly48
2001 WJ 

Garage
After many measurements and a few phone calls to Design Engineering Inc. (Boom Mat). It looks like Chrysler did not leave much room for clearance to install "Speaker Baffles". At least not the closed cell foam type that are 1/4" thick. They may clear the window at the top of the baffle but it looks as if the window would hit the bottom of the Baffle. See Picture for dimensions.
Attached Thumbnails
BAFFLE DIMS 1.jpg  
post #7 of 20 Old 09-11-2021, 03:42 PM
ames

Iím in process of changing the front passenger window regulator in my 99 GC. Iíve owned my Jeep since 2007 and have never had to replace a regulator before, in any vehicle Iíve owned.

Took the door apart and the moisture / water vapor barrier was absolutely shredded. The people who had the Jeep before me must have been in there? I couldnít find any place to get a new barrier, asked at the auto part store, etc. they thought maybe the dealership? I might just get a big piece of plastic sheeting (probably a better quality shower curtain) and cut it to size to create my own and see if that works.

Iím piggybacking on your post since itís related. I need to protect the speaker (currently in MN, previously in PNW) and get it functional soon. What have others done?
post #8 of 20 Old 09-11-2021, 05:47 PM
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
I used shower pan liner from Lowes. You can build it any way you want too. I went pretty basic because we don't get a lot of rain here in the high desert of E. WA. I used 3m double sided tape to install it.
Attached Thumbnails
20190901_121157.jpg   20190901_124646.jpg  
ames, Videojam and cDee63 like this.

'77 Chevy C10 pickup
'01 WJ 60th Anniversary Edition
'13 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #9 of 20 Old 09-12-2021, 06:56 AM
Delta0

A polythene bag over the speaker, mouth down?
post #10 of 20 Old 09-12-2021, 08:16 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames View Post

Took the door apart and the moisture / water vapor barrier was absolutely shredded. The people who had the Jeep before me must have been in there?
Nope, that's just the garbage that Jeep used as a liner. You'll find the same destruction in all of the doors, as well as in the tailgate.

I had a large roll of heavy plastic, so I used that to make new liners and to fashion a cover for the speaker.
post #11 of 20 Old 09-13-2021, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Curly48
2001 WJ 

Garage
I'm still doing research and design on creating new Moisture Barriers (or as Jeep calls them "Waterdams") for all four doors. So far I have found a procedure for bonding two sheets of 6 mil Black PVC Plastic from Home Depot to create a 12 mil sheet. It involves parchment paper (baking parchment paper from grocery store) and a Iron that you use for ironing clothes. Found this procedure on youtube where a guy seamed together two Tarps made of Polyethlene for his Pond. This works really well but its a bit time consuming cause your limited to the size of the parchment paper you place under the plastic and on top of the plastic to prevent the plastic from sticking to the iron and the surface you use to iron on (I'm using two sheets of cardboard on top of some OSB plywood). I set the Iron to high and slowly move it across the parchment paper in one direction only to prevent wrinkles. Do one section at a time. Place wood on top then let that section cool hopefully keeping the plastic flat. You end up with some ripples but not to bad. I'm oversizing the sheets so I have room to form the "pockets" in the front door Trim Panels. Trying to figure a few Origami Folds (Outside Reverse Fold, modiified a bit) to create the "Pockets" then bond the Folds with the Iron and Parchment Paper procedure. I'm testing this "Pocket Design" today. For the Speakers, I'm thinking about creating a "Top Cover" about 2 inches deep shaped like a half circle which I plan to bond (with a several 1 inch tabs) to the speaker hole. Making it curve around the top of the speaker hole.
post #12 of 20 Old 09-13-2021, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Curly48
2001 WJ 

Garage
Ok so scratch the "Origami Outside Reverse Fold". It created too many crease that would need to be bonded. Instead do a simple crease at each corner of the pocket about 1/2" wide. Crease number 4 on the Pocket will have to extend to the upper corner of the Waterdam. It will be the longest and thus the more labor intensive crease to bond and seal with the iron and parchment paper. Use clothe spins whenever you can to hold crease together while bonding. I created a template from paper grocery bags and I estimate the size for one front door to be 38" Wide x 29" High. This estimate will give you about 1" all around to make up for any adjustments. I figure create the pocket first then trim the edges to fit the Door Trim Panel. Then tackle the "Speaker Shield".
Attached Thumbnails
FRONT WATERDAM 14.jpg  
post #13 of 20 Old 09-13-2021, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Curly48
2001 WJ 

Garage
This is what was left of the Front Passenger Waterdam. The Front Driver Side Waterdam was in pieces.
Attached Thumbnails
FRONT WATERDAM 16.jpg   FRONT WATERDAM 19.jpg  
post #14 of 20 Old 09-13-2021, 11:53 AM
CraigMBAx

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0 View Post
A polythene bag over the speaker, mouth down?
You'd hear it at higher volume.

1999 WJ Limted - Ex Soccer Mom ride turned Rule 25 Compliant Bike Hauler
post #15 of 20 Old 09-13-2021, 12:29 PM
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigMBAx View Post
You'd hear it at higher volume.
I think that as long as
1) The bit of bag that goes over the mouth of the speaker is cut out.
2) The bag is too flimsy to vibrate.
the bag won't absorb enough energy to make a noise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in