Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

WJ - Potential price rebuild or used engine in Illinois

2K views 51 replies 14 participants last post by  smokeyyank 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Bought car from Copart with the dead engine (didn't know thatt) (Rods knocks) just wondering what could be a price for an engine replacement.

Thank you,

Artem

#11 ·
I guess depending on how much your paid either part it out or fix it. Since I'm assuming you already took delivery from copart they f you on issues after the fact. Last vehicle I bought was the last I would buy from copart, they just sell junk. When I got my WJ I got it through copart but I knew it needed an engine and was fine for the price I paid. I still spent way more on the WJ in the end then I wanted.

#6 ·
Power Source has rebuilt long blocks for $2650, + $400 for core, or $0 core if you return a core in 30 days. Free shipping. 3yr/100k warranty. I build my own engines, so I cannot speak personally. But I do know of 1 guy who has 70k+ on a 4.7 from them and is happy. They even include some nice upgrades to valve guides and seats , and larger oil returns in the heads.
https://www.bestrebuiltengines.com/product-page/ps4799cr

Rock Auto has rebuild kits starting at $450. Of course that doesn't include head work. Add in rebuilt heads and block/crank machining it would probably be the same as a long block.....

#7 ·
Just confirms my belief that any WJ (speshly a 4.7) is always one big job from scrap, after all that time, effort & money, all you've got is - a WJ!

Unfortunately for OP, I suspect the cost of repair/replacement wasn't sufficiently reflected in the price.

Don't care how good Power Source's engines are, for that sort of money I'd be looking at a hemi transplant. :smile2:

#8 ·
While yes they are pricy to replace the engine doing a swap opens a whole new can of worms. I myself got a reman for 1600 and am finishing up the install. If this goes for any reason it will be swapped with a ls

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

#19 ·
. . . but a swap opens a whole new can of worms . . . it will be swapped with a ls
- Discus. :wink2:

1600? Nah, I could (but wouldn't) buy another WJ for that!

Not sure why everyone wants an LS, but availability must be a factor which pretty much rules them out over here - whereas it'd just be a matter of time before a rolled or rear ended V8 WK turned up and at a good price, as doubt there's much demand.

#12 ·
Local rebuilders vary very widely in skill. The value of a reman from a reliable source, is that they pretty much know what they are doing, have the equipment and provide an actual warranty (mine came with a 100K warranty)

#13 ·
Many thanks for your replies guys!

Yesterday this engine died completely, just jammed and not starting anymore. Seems previously engine was extremely overheating. Rebuild here could include everything block + heads + almost everything. After engine stopped started leaking coolant really hard....

Seems my way to consider buying another used/refurbished engine... Any insights wherein Chicagoland?
Again the purpose to save money...

Artem

#18 ·
Many thanks for your replies guys!

Yesterday this engine died completely, just jammed and not starting anymore. Seems previously engine was extremely overheating. Rebuild here could include everything block + heads + almost everything. After engine stopped started leaking coolant really hard....

Seems my way to consider buying another used/refurbished engine... Any insights wherein Chicagoland?
Again the purpose to save money...

Artem
When I was looking around these are the two places I heavily considered before my rebuilder got back to me.

https://www.sandjengines.com/search/rebuilt-hipro-engines/2003-Jeep-Grand_Cherokee

https://spprecision.com/products/47-285-long-block-crate-engine-sale.html

Long block is still about the 3kish mark. You might be able to find some one to R&R for around 800-1k depending. You can DIY but it's a PITA and I'd recommend removing the front clip. If it's overheating you will also need to take care of other things so budget for around 5-6k. I had to replace my intake manifold and some other things when I did mine. A few were purely preventive since it was getting done.

#20 ·
The ls choice is simple. Tons of them so getting one is typically cheap. The aftermarket for them loaded with everything you can imagine. Also they are pretty cheap to make power. Personally i would go ls simply for familiarity. I come from a chevy family this is the first thing in have owned that was jeep/chrysler lol

#21 ·
Thank you for the information! I really appreciate the answers.

I think my best option to find used engine and just try to switch... Rebuild sound more logical, but I own this car for just 1 week and drove like 3-5 miles to gas station before the engine jammed.

Who knows the real picture with axles, transfer case and transmission.... (cd/radio is not working for example :p)

If its unrealistic to do switch within 1.5k budget than probably this pretty wj limited will went to junkyard :(

Thank you,
Artem

#26 ·
All depends on how you value your time, and how much of it you have to spend before you can get groceries in this thing. I would gamble on a used engine in this thing if it were me, but i would have it checked out before i bought it, and make sure to get at least a 30 day warranty from the JY. If you have the time, and knowledge, then a used engine cant be worse than the one you got....Sometimes we just dont have the cash for a rebuilt engine. But if you could spend the money, but are just to cheap to do so, then it may not be the best route to take. Probably should have left the Jeep at Copart. If you bought it because funds are low, and you are trying to come up with a much needed means of transportation, then used is your only answer....you have a 50-50 shot at getting something that will get you back rolling. Maybe higher if you know how to check the engine out before hand....

#28 ·
Hi everybody,

So couple things here: first wj is still with me :) Can't send this car to JY. Spend a lot of time thinking about what to do next - and decided to try replace the engine for the used one. I saw on eBay a lot of options within $750-1200 for the engine with even up to 6 months warranty. (at least 30 days).
Moreover, I am pretty confident that I can pull the engine by myself and its not a lot of money I need - just time which is ok, could be a great pet project for next 2-3 months. Any chances to find step-by-step manual? I reviewed a lot of videos, but maybe there is something with pictures focused specifically how to remove?

Advice, feedback? You guys help me already a lot, I really appreciate your comments.

P.S. I had another car, so the idea of this WJ was to build for hardcore offroad for 33-35 inches tires, trim the body etc.

Artem

#29 ·
Remove the front clip so you have some room. Get a second set of hands to get the pig back in. Mark all the wires clearly so you know where things go when you put it back together AND take pictures. Get soe cheap tuperware and bags to stick bolts in.

#30 ·
Coming from someone that has been going through this (my engine swap should fire this 'em weekend) take crap tons of pics. I mean a crazy amount. I thought i took tons foe mine but when i went back for reference i was missing lots of stuff. Mark all your electrical wires. I used blue masking tape and wrote on it. Also bag all your bolts and label them (permanent marker on plastic bags doesn't last that well). Also while you have it apart is a good time to clean the bay and check your probably old wires

#31 ·
Personally speaking, if I had to dump >$5K on an engine rebuild or replacement on a 2002-2004 vehicle, I'd take the money and put it to something newer, and not deal with a lot of know problems on WJs. 5K would easily cover 2+ years of payments on another vehicle.
You fix a 2002 and...in the end, you have a 2002.
I do really feel for the OP who got shafted buying the vehicle but I would not throw good money after bad in this situation.

#32 ·
Thant exactly what I was thinking about. Currently, I have another car which is almost brand new and the reason for WJ was to build offroad vehicle. I hope (really hope) that engine swap will cost about 2k (used engine + tools + work in my garage).

We will see how it goes :)

Artem

#34 ·
It all depends on the overall condition of the WJ and what your plans are for it. Also factor in how long you plan to keep it.

My engine blew and I just went through the process of figuring out what to do. I went with a remanufactured engine, $3500 and another $270 for parts and fluids. I have my WJ set-up in a way that works great for me and overall it seemed like the best course. I shopped around for other vehicles (Broncos, Cherokees, etc.), but it was going to cost more and I was going to have to sink even more cash to fix and improve them, and in the end the engine would have still been an unknown. I plan on keeping my vehicle and get a lot of use out of it, so the investment was worth it to me. If takes me where I want to go for another five years, I will know it was a good decision

#35 ·
My progress :)

Hi Guys,

So as you know I decided to change the engine to another used 4.7 and already bought the engine. Tomorrow will be here.

I removed all front-end, disconnected everything, and also decided to remove the engine completely today...

So I have a hoist and already lifted engine but can't disconnect the engine from the transmission. I tried to shake, lift, drop etc. no result at all.

Any insights on how to disconnect the engine from the transmission? I've removed all the bolts, the only thing that I cant remove torq convertor and I didn't remove oil pan - engine is not spinning at all.

Thank you,
Artem

#41 ·
That was pain in **** but I succeded :) Now, I've prepared everything to put in new (used) engine, hope to finish this in 3-5 days :)

P.S. Engine stuck completely - it stopped with terrible noise and I didn't have a chance to spin even millimeters.
Hint - to use prybar and put between engine block and flywheel, it gives a little bit extra space.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.