WJ No gauges, no windows, won't- pass insp-Please help! - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 02-21-2020, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
TBUSMC61
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Worcester
Posts: 20
Wj WJ No gauges, no windows, won't- pass insp-Please help!

I have a 2001 WJ that started having problems over a year ago. Started with an intermittent no-start, which I eventually determined was sentry-key related. Also gauges would drop out intermittently. It eventually got worse and worse. Took it to a mechanic, and he said it would be dealer-only. I spent about 1400 dollars at the dealership, and they finally said it was the gauge cluster, and its discontinued, so they can't help. The gauge cluster self-test comes out fine, if that means anything here. I also have used 4 junkyard gauge clusters with no change. I also bought an entire computer set (BCM, PCM, Gauges, SKIM) and installed it in my Jeep, and had all the same problems-no change. I read that broken door wires can cause this, and I couldn't find any broken ones, or grounded out. I also checked all the fuses, and none are blowing. I'm at the point where I wish I could just junk it, but I really can't afford to. If you need any more info, please let me know. If you can help at all, please give me any and all suggestions. I really appreciate everyone here.

TBUSMC61 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 36 Old 02-21-2020, 09:34 AM
JGCJeep
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 281
Check other wiring. Sounds similar to my problem and it wound up being wires melted together next to the throttle body. I have a 4.0. Good luck.
JGCJeep is offline  
post #3 of 36 Old 02-21-2020, 09:40 AM
JGCJeep
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 281
How comfortable are you working with a multimeter?
JGCJeep is offline  
 
post #4 of 36 Old 02-21-2020, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
TBUSMC61
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Worcester
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGCJeep View Post
How comfortable are you working with a multimeter?

I'd say pretty good. If you have an specific tips on finding shorts and grounds in the WJ, I'm all ears
TBUSMC61 is offline  
post #5 of 36 Old 02-21-2020, 11:05 AM
LTopher
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Charleston
Posts: 113
Check out this thread on grounds, a ton of useful info.

Programmers don't die, they just lose their memory!

His: 2001 WJ I6
Hers: 2011 WK2 V6
LTopher is offline  
post #6 of 36 Old 02-21-2020, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
TBUSMC61
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Worcester
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTopher View Post
Check out this thread on grounds, a ton of useful info.
Thank you! that's great
TBUSMC61 is offline  
post #7 of 36 Old 02-21-2020, 02:35 PM
JGCJeep
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBUSMC61 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGCJeep View Post
How comfortable are you working with a multimeter?

I'd say pretty good. If you have an specific tips on finding shorts and grounds in the WJ, I'm all ears
Nothing specific. Get the schematics and diagrams and start isolating things.
JGCJeep is offline  
post #8 of 36 Old 02-21-2020, 02:36 PM
JGCJeep
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 281
Does your fuel pump prime with the KOEO?
JGCJeep is offline  
post #9 of 36 Old 02-21-2020, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
TBUSMC61
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Worcester
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGCJeep View Post
Does your fuel pump prime with the KOEO?
I'm not sure if the fuel pump primes KOEO, but if you're asking if it starts and runs, it does. The guy I bought it from was zero help (This started about six weeks after I got it) but he told me to send it out to an Ebay seller who reprogrammed the PCM to delete Sentry Key. The gauges were still working intermittently at the time. I got the PCM back, and as advertised it does now start and run. It actually drives okay, for the most part. I hope that answers your question.
TBUSMC61 is offline  
post #10 of 36 Old 02-21-2020, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
TBUSMC61
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Worcester
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBUSMC61 View Post
I'm not sure if the fuel pump primes KOEO, but if you're asking if it starts and runs, it does. The guy I bought it from was zero help (This started about six weeks after I got it) but he told me to send it out to an Ebay seller who reprogrammed the PCM to delete Sentry Key. The gauges were still working intermittently at the time. I got the PCM back, and as advertised it does now start and run. It actually drives okay, for the most part. I hope that answers your question.
Send the PCM* out to an Ebay seller, if I didn't explain that well
TBUSMC61 is offline  
post #11 of 36 Old 02-21-2020, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
TBUSMC61
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Worcester
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGCJeep View Post
Nothing specific. Get the schematics and diagrams and start isolating things.

I do have a schematic, and I ohm-ed out the gauge cluster wires, both front door wires, and the auto-dim mirror wires (all seemed to lead to related systems in the BCM). I didn't find any shorts to ground or two each other on any of those plugs. I would shoot all the BCM wires if I could, but I get lost in that part of the schematic to be honest. Everything seems to hinge on the 'PCI BUS', and I don't really follow.
TBUSMC61 is offline  
post #12 of 36 Old 02-21-2020, 03:50 PM
JGCJeep
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBUSMC61 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGCJeep View Post
Does your fuel pump prime with the KOEO?
I'm not sure if the fuel pump primes KOEO, but if you're asking if it starts and runs, it does. The guy I bought it from was zero help (This started about six weeks after I got it) but he told me to send it out to an Ebay seller who reprogrammed the PCM to delete Sentry Key. The gauges were still working intermittently at the time. I got the PCM back, and as advertised it does now start and run. It actually drives okay, for the most part. I hope that answers your question.
Does the fuel pump make a noise when you turn the key on engine off when you’re having a stall condition and gauges aren’t working?
JGCJeep is offline  
post #13 of 36 Old 02-21-2020, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
TBUSMC61
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Worcester
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGCJeep View Post
Does the fuel pump make a noise when you turn the key on engine off when youíre having a stall condition and gauges arenít working?
I'm not 100% sure, but I no long have a stall or no start problem. It starts well with short crank times.
TBUSMC61 is offline  
post #14 of 36 Old 02-21-2020, 05:17 PM
JGCJeep
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBUSMC61 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGCJeep View Post
Does the fuel pump make a noise when you turn the key on engine off when you’re having a stall condition and gauges aren’t working?
I'm not 100% sure, but I no long have a stall or no start problem. It starts well with short crank times.
So it always runs and your only issue now is the gauge cluster?
JGCJeep is offline  
post #15 of 36 Old 02-21-2020, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
TBUSMC61
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Worcester
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGCJeep View Post
So it always runs and your only issue now is the gauge cluster?

Yes, that's right. No gauges, warning lights christmas tree'd. My biggest issue is I have state vehicle inspection here, and they can't pass it if its showing those lights.
TBUSMC61 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome