3Likes
  • 1 Post By smokeyyank
  • 1 Post By Saljeep2003
  • 1 Post By wjpaul

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 10-10-2019, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Carson25

wj lift

I made a big mistake of putting the cheap lift in my wj and now I have death wobble. I'm working on getting it fixed, and I want to get a good lift. are the $300/400 coil spring replacements good? I'm looking at Rusty's 2.5 inch coil springs with shocks. is that a good idea? once it gets put in I'll have replaced the track bar, steering stabilizer, ball joints, and probably the tie rod ends, but I shouldn't need brake lines or adjustable control arms, should I? my previous was a 3" cheap budget boost. should I get the RC 4" that replaces everything? as everyone does, I want the best for my Jeep.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-10-2019, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Carson25

another note: I don't do much rock crawling, just some easy off-road stuff, so I don't need a lot of flex or anything, just a good lift that will get the job done. it's my first Jeep, my daily, and if I had known anything about the budget lifts then I wouldn't have gotten it. live and learn, I guess
post #3 of 14 Old 10-10-2019, 12:55 PM
Oktavius
2004 WJ 

Were shocks included or was it just spacers? If you aren't rock crawling and don't need a lot of flex, the spacer lift is probably fine. Probably isn't the lift spacers that are causing the death wobble but caused by other components that need to be replaced (bushings, tie rods, etc). May want to replace what is causing the death wobble before spending the money to replace the spacer lift with full length coils.

At 3", I needed extended shocks, extended sway bar links, and adjustable track bar. All of my bushings were shot though so ended up getting adjustable control arms front and rear. Shouldn't need brake hoses unless you get adjustable arms and extend them beyond the factory length.

There is a handy chart in the first post here:
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...sizes-1487423/

post #4 of 14 Old 10-10-2019, 05:02 PM
smokeyyank

cRustys an RC sucks......
Chat with Kolak on here and he can get your squared away.

Don't go 4" unless you want to spend a lot to do it right and at the point you're better looking at long arms. 3" is the max you can run on most factory parts but will still need to upgrade the track bar and a few other things. I run IRO (ironrock offroad) 3" coils on my rig. Does everything I need. Not as flexy as my XJ was but rides a million times better.
Kolak likes this.

04 WJ, 4.7HO
3" IRO lift, fastman TB, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" exhaust
post #5 of 14 Old 10-10-2019, 11:53 PM
SoCal2004wj

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktavius View Post
Were shocks included or was it just spacers? If you aren't rock crawling and don't need a lot of flex, the spacer lift is probably fine. Probably isn't the lift spacers that are causing the death wobble but caused by other components that need to be replaced (bushings, tie rods, etc). May want to replace what is causing the death wobble before spending the money to replace the spacer lift with full length coils.

At 3", I needed extended shocks, extended sway bar links, and adjustable track bar. All of my bushings were shot though so ended up getting adjustable control arms front and rear. Shouldn't need brake hoses unless you get adjustable arms and extend them beyond the factory length.

There is a handy chart in the first post here:
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...sizes-1487423/
post #6 of 14 Old 10-11-2019, 01:54 AM
Kolak
Vendor

What model year/engine size is your WJ?

What size tires are you going to be running?

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-11-2019, 06:18 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Been running a 2-inch block lift for the last 3 years or so. No death wobble. Look for loose and/or worn parts first. The front axle is located by 10 rubber bushings (8 in the control arms and 2 on the track bar). There are 4 ball joints and 4 tie rod ends. When you lift a coil spring axle, the control arms rotate it as it moves away from the body. This rotation reduces the front caster angle by several degrees. Without enough caster, death wobble becomes more likely. Worn out parts plus a reduced caster angle is a perfect recipe for death wobble. Replacing your springs will have zero effect on reducing death wobble. Adjustable control arms let you adjust the caster angle, but you have to make certain that you don't create a vibration at the pinion u-joint. It's a fine line between enough caster and too much driveshaft angle.

You can also purchase offset ball joints to correct caster, without affecting the pinion angle. But your first step should be to replace any worn bushings, starting with the track bar. (Don't use the crappy Moog poly bushings. They're way too soft.) The proper ones are from a Dodge truck (don't know why they aren't also listed for the WJ, but it seems that only a complete, new track bar is listed for them. You can find more info here: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...l#post38306457 but note that TRW was purchased since that thread, so the exact brand/part number can't be found any more. But use the pickup details and you'll get the proper bushings.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-12-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Carson25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
What model year/engine size is your WJ?

What size tires are you going to be running?
2001, 4.0 i6, I've only got 29" tires now but I want to put 31x10.5s in
post #9 of 14 Old 10-13-2019, 01:16 AM
Kolak
Vendor

You really need only 2-3" of lift for 31" tires. No need to go to 4". Did you say you already replaced the trackbar? If so, did you get an adjustable one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson25 View Post

or
post #10 of 14 Old 10-13-2019, 03:35 AM
Saljeep2003

3 " Iron Rock with 32" Tires . No Death Wobble. Talk to Kolak. He was a great help.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8097.jpg  
Kolak likes this.
post #11 of 14 Old 10-13-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Carson25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
You really need only 2-3" of lift for 31" tires. No need to go to 4". Did you say you already replaced the trackbar? If so, did you get an adjustable one?

Quote:
I did, but I didn't need to adjust it. The tires are lined up, but do I need to adjust the caster angle?
post #12 of 14 Old 10-13-2019, 04:19 PM
Kolak
Vendor

Caster angle is not adjustable on the WJ unless you have adjustable control arms.

If you stay at 3" or less your caster angle should be sufficient with stock arms.

IRO makes excellent 3" coil springs and I have great budget friendly shocks available. If you would like pricing or just have questions, please PM me here on the forum or email me at [email protected]

Quote:
I did, but I didn't need to adjust it. The tires are lined up, but do I need to adjust the caster angle?

or
post #13 of 14 Old 10-16-2019, 12:08 AM
wjpaul
2002 WJ 

Go with what Kolak recommends as he won't steer you wrong. He knows his stuff and his prices are good.
Kolak likes this.

02 GCL 4.7-QD-4" IRO CP LA lift-D44/ARB Locker-Bilsteins-Moog stabilizer-JCR slider-Falken 32x10.5
post #14 of 14 Old 10-17-2019, 06:18 PM
moneypitjeep
2002 WJ 

Garage
Don't forget the steering damper. I had an oil filled one leak and caused bad DW. Replaced it with a gas Monroe Magnum,problem went away.

JEEP is a 4 letter word!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in