WJ headlight assembly upgrade - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 03-08-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Krwlnrx
2000 WJ 

WJ headlight assembly upgrade

I need to upgrade the lights in my WJ. Ive already buffed/resurfaced the oem lights 3x, and after 19yrs its time for an upgrade. I'm liking the lights at

protuninglab.com but having a hard time finding any real world feedback. Is anyone here using these lights? Any feedback on them?

https://www.protuninglab.com/99-04-g...eadlights.html

I have a red Limited WJ, so id run the chrome housings to maintain a stock style appearance.

2000 WJ Limited in arrest me red. :)
4.7L Quadra-Drive.
"You can go fast, but I can go anywhere."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-09-2019, 02:23 AM
SpearfishDelta

I've had the same problem with what came stock on my WJ.

Since I'm the 3rd owner of this WJ,
(was a family owned car. Grand Dad got it brand new in 2000 and then hauled it around behind an RV -Flat Towing- for most of it's life until he passed away. And then it passed on to a grand kid and now on to me, the son-in-law)

The headlights on this thing were so yellowed and hazed when I got it that I could not see across the street even on high beam.
They had to go.... And FAST.!!
I've searched online and found the ones circled in Red in chrome (it's a Limited trim, and I wanted to try and keep it looking OEM somewhat) and thought I'd give it a try.

I loved the projector beam.!
The high beam we're good to.!
I also upgraded the headlight connectors to ceramic ones on the bulb end for running higher wattage bulbs along with a relay for the power.
Got to have the power for night driving across open range.

I've had them on my WJ for about 4 year's or so by now.... I've driven across Montana, South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, etc.... many times with them at night out there..... Until I hit a Deer back in December between work and home over here in Nevada at 2.am.
(In my defense, that Doe walked right out on to the highway on a semi-blind curve in the hills... And I was well under the 70.mph limit, maybe doing about 50 for the curve, even though the limit was still 70 for around that curve, when I saw her and she tripped over my passenger fender and rolled across my hood and took off).

So now I'm in the market again and looking in to new headlights along with my front end repairs, and I'm looking at the ones circled in Green now for a change in looks when I'm done with repairs.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190308_0001_1552119037576.jpeg  
mudbear and ChinaJeepWJV8 like this.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-09-2019, 09:59 AM
99wjtx

2001 WJ 

I'm not sure about upgrade options (HID, smoke color, etc.) but just for OE style replacements, from what I can tell, there have been only a couple of actual manufacturers for the WJ headlight assemblies, or a few at most. I've not come across one that seemed substantially better than another and I've replaced them several times on two different vehicles. So, the best bet seems to be to search around and find a decent deal on them.

post #4 of 17 Old 03-09-2019, 02:30 PM
BigMateo
2004 WJ 

I put the ones with the square bar on to replace my old foggy housings, also made the switch to l.e.d.'s too. I like the housings a lot, they really help to modernize the look. When I did these I also tried switching out to all l.e.d. side markers and turn signals too, but I had major issues with hyper flashing. Tried swapping out the relay to a new electronic one, supposedly it's supposed to fix the hyper flashing issue but it didn't make any difference with my Jeep. I also didn't want to start hacking up the wiring harness and start splicing in resistors or anything like that either. I thought the replacement l.e.d. signal bulbs were just too dim, and didn't look right with the reflector inside, so in the end I just went back to regular incandescent bulbs.

The turn signals and side marker light are still out of sequence, but only when the headlights or running lights are on and they're not hyper flashing like crazy. The way the housing is wired, the square light bar plugs right into the middle running light, since it's running on that circuit and since it's l.e.d. the resistance is off causing the lights to blink out of sequence. It doesn't bother me all that much though, with the headlights off though it blinks normally.

Not quite sold on the l.e.d. headlights though. They're just some el cheapo chinese bulbs I found on Amazon, they sure are white and look cool, but they don't really light up the road further down than I would like, I may end up just putting halogens back in.
Attached Thumbnails
MyJeep2.jpg  
mudbear likes this.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-09-2019, 03:41 PM
jtpeters
2004 WJ 

Garage
I'm using these but in the Black version. Install was easy and they look great. Also not too expensive.

http://https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-99-04-JEEP-GRAND-CHEROKEE-ANGEL-EYE-HALO-LED-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHT-LAMP-CHROME/303078739291?hash=item4690e68d5b:g:jnYAAOSw3AFcd6P C

2004 Jeep Overland WJ 4.7 H.O. (Bought new in Oct 2003)
2014 Jeep Overland WK2 5.7 Hemi (Bought used in 2016 w/7k miles)
1970 Ford Mustang Boss 302 (in Family since 1974)
2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302
2011 BMW 328i
post #6 of 17 Old 03-10-2019, 10:29 AM
clane1017

I did an upgrade to mine as well. Went with a pair from Amazon and some LED bulbs. Love the cutoff and viability. Plus they make the Jeep look much newer.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-10-2019, 10:44 AM
clane1017

I did the same ones BigMateo Did. Got them for 225 from Amazon shipped.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-10-2019, 04:16 PM
Oktavius
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMateo View Post
The turn signals and side marker light are still out of sequence, but only when the headlights or running lights are on and they're not hyper flashing like crazy. The way the housing is wired, the square light bar plugs right into the middle running light, since it's running on that circuit and since it's l.e.d. the resistance is off causing the lights to blink out of sequence. It doesn't bother me all that much though, with the headlights off though it blinks normally.
That is how my front blinkers work but I do not have the LED DRLs. Current setup is stock style housings with HID's for the low beams. All other front bulbs are non-LED. This setup is from the previous owner and I've been looking at swapping out the HID setup. So not sure if it is your LED DRLs that are causing the out of sync blinking.
post #9 of 17 Old 12-04-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Krwlnrx
2000 WJ 

thanks for the feedback guys!

2000 WJ Limited in arrest me red. :)
4.7L Quadra-Drive.
"You can go fast, but I can go anywhere."
post #10 of 17 Old 12-05-2019, 05:55 AM
02Lightning
2001 WJ 

Does any of these aftermarket headlights adjust like stock?

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L NV242LD Transfer Case, 42RE, 168,000 miles
post #11 of 17 Old 12-07-2019, 05:44 AM
mudbear
2019 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearfishDelta View Post
I've had the same problem with what came stock on my WJ.

Since I'm the 3rd owner of this WJ,
(was a family owned car. Grand Dad got it brand new in 2000 and then hauled it around behind an RV -Flat Towing- for most of it's life until he passed away. And then it passed on to a grand kid and now on to me, the son-in-law)

The headlights on this thing were so yellowed and hazed when I got it that I could not see across the street even on high beam.
They had to go.... And FAST.!!
I've searched online and found the ones circled in Red in chrome (it's a Limited trim, and I wanted to try and keep it looking OEM somewhat) and thought I'd give it a try.

I loved the projector beam.!
The high beam we're good to.!
I also upgraded the headlight connectors to ceramic ones on the bulb end for running higher wattage bulbs along with a relay for the power.
Got to have the power for night driving across open range.

I've had them on my WJ for about 4 year's or so by now.... I've driven across Montana, South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, etc.... many times with them at night out there..... Until I hit a Deer back in December between work and home over here in Nevada at 2.am.
(In my defense, that Doe walked right out on to the highway on a semi-blind curve in the hills... And I was well under the 70.mph limit, maybe doing about 50 for the curve, even though the limit was still 70 for around that curve, when I saw her and she tripped over my passenger fender and rolled across my hood and took off).

So now I'm in the market again and looking in to new headlights along with my front end repairs, and I'm looking at the ones circled in Green now for a change in looks when I'm done with repairs.

I would have been so on these green circled HID/LED combos!!

On average HID still outperform LED in lumen brightness, especially if you donít mind the warmer 4800 or 4300 hues (itís no contest here).

LEDís will last longer though.

After driving vehicles with HIDís or LEDís itís brutal when renting and getting something equipped with halogens.

.... often missing my days with the WJ, loved that car!!!

19 WK2 5.7 High Altitude current, gone:
16 WK2 3.6 Limited
03 WJ 4.7 HO Limited
94 ZJ 5.2 Laredo
post #12 of 17 Old 12-07-2019, 02:22 PM
Mogul

Anyone know why many of those lights at protuninglab state they won't work with a Laredo? I'm not aware of any fitment difference for WJ headlights for Limited vs Laredo.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-08-2019, 10:21 AM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogul View Post
Anyone know why many of those lights at protuninglab state they won't work with a Laredo? I'm not aware of any fitment difference for WJ headlights for Limited vs Laredo.
I don't know of any fitment differences either. Should be interchangeable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift
post #14 of 17 Old 12-08-2019, 07:02 PM
Mattimus_LV

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogul View Post
I had these on my previous WJ Laredo with no issues.

https://www.protuninglab.com/99jegrchledd.html
gsxr800 likes this.

2004 WJ Overland
post #15 of 17 Old 12-10-2019, 06:45 AM
Teddy2

I purchased the Spyder headlight assemblies and could not be happier

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in