WJ Death Wobble - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 07-18-2018, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
GabrielWiese

2000 WJ 

Garage
WJ Death Wobble

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited and I put the 3" Kolak lift on a couple weeks ago and now I have a death wobble, but only when I brake from high speeds. The Kolak lift came with an adjustable track bar and bigger steering stabilizer (MOOG Super Trail Boss). Now I dont know whats causing it, and thats why I came here. I got the rotors replaced back in September of 2017 by Firestone and the front outer tie rods with the sleeves in January of this year by Firestone. Please help, much appreciated!

._________.ooooo.
/||\\,____
L/\\__|__|"/\=llllll=\
_())===)).....())===))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-18-2018, 08:30 PM
stracener
1936 CJ2A 

Do you get DW when not braking, like when you hit a bump going over 45mph or is it just when you brake the Jeep?

Ive only experienced DW when hitting a bump in the road at speeds of > 35-45mph .... and Ive experienced that a lot more than I would like to admit !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 18 Old 07-18-2018, 08:58 PM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
I have had DW and cured it.

I have also had a very DW-like feeling with a warped rotor in the front, only while braking. Replacing the rotors stopped that.

2004 Special Edition WJ. LOADED!
2004 Rocky Mountain Edition. Froggy Bandit. Wife's Daily Driver. PRISTINE! Stock height and may stay that way.....

post #4 of 18 Old 07-19-2018, 01:47 AM
sdg3205

2001 WJ 

Lie under the truck with it OFF and have someone move the steering wheel back and forth. Look for play. New track bar may not be tight enough. Could also be:

- other tie rod/drag link ends worn
- ball joints toast
- wheel bearings gone
- wheels out of alignment and balance

But usually its the track bar. I installed KOR's death wobble cure kit and it worked. Later i did my ball joints and its almost TOO damn tight up there now.

+1 for warped rotors causing DW on braking. I had that and I'm pretty sure it did the damage that resulted in non-braking DW after that.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-20-2018, 05:43 PM
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Start by making sure everything was installed using the proper torque spec. DW has to be diagnosed by your own eyes, usually while laying on the ground.

That said if it is just around braking, it can be as mentioned a warped rotor but also a caliper hanging up. It is VERY common in WJ's, I do one everyother year on mine...

QUOTE=billzcat1;wsar10 is right on point on this oil thread - as usual. Anyone reading this would be well-served taking his advice.

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
post #6 of 18 Old 07-22-2018, 10:08 AM
moneypitjeep
2002 WJ 

Garage
Did you have alignment checked after installing the lift?
cerealwars likes this.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-23-2018, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
GabrielWiese

2000 WJ 

Garage
Thanks for all the replies! After arguing with Firestone they replaced my rotors and the DW is gone (for now I suppose) but while going around 50-60 mph if I hit a bump the Jeep shakes for not even 2 seconds before straightening out. I wonder if this is from the braking.

._________.ooooo.
/||\\,____
L/\\__|__|"/\=llllll=\
_())===)).....())===))
post #8 of 18 Old 09-15-2018, 12:51 PM
Bryanp3344

WJ Death Wobble 2000

I bought a WJ a few months ago. Clean jeep, 200+ on miles. Steering is not my cup of tea. Bought some 2 or 2.5 spacers from someone. Had a friend install them for me. I now have death wobble. Seems to be when I start in to a curve or when I hit a bump. It's extreme, worst death wobble I have ever felt. All ball joints tie rods, drag ends, etc all are tight. No play. My steering is clocked to far left. (12 o'clock is more like 10 o'clock.) I have noticed a few things that I will include pics for. 1) where the arm comes from the body and hooks in to the front transfer case looks strange to me. Check the pic. 2)I noticed the springs on front look strange. I think there may be spacers on top and bottom.(pic attached)3) check pic of Bottom of spring. Im completely at my breaking point between the DW and electrical stuff20180915_123948_1537033787205.jpg. Please help
1st 2 pics are the transfer case mount. Next one is under the spring over the spacer. And last is what looks like two spacers
Attached Thumbnails
20180915_123845_1537033716206.jpg   20180915_123812_1537033731100.jpg   20180915_124723_1537033755854.jpg  
post #9 of 18 Old 09-15-2018, 01:06 PM
Oktavius
2004 WJ 

The clamp for the upper tie rod end on the drag link is loose. Did you loosen it before the photo?

The upper control arm bushing isn't pressed in as much as I would like for my WJ but based on the oil/grime on the bushing shell, it doesn't look like it is shifting around. How does the rubber look on all of your control arm bushings? Any of them cracking or worn out?

As sdg3205 said above, it is really helpful to look at the steering system while someone is steering back and forth. It was very quick for me to see that the upper tire rod end on the drag link had play.
post #10 of 18 Old 09-15-2018, 01:39 PM
Bryanp3344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktavius View Post
The clamp for the upper tie rod end on the drag link is loose. Did you loosen it before the photo?

The upper control arm bushing isn't pressed in as much as I would like for my WJ but based on the oil/grime on the bushing shell, it doesn't look like it is shifting around. How does the rubber look on all of your control arm bushings? Any of them cracking or worn out?

As sdg3205 said above, it is really helpful to look at the steering system while someone is steering back and forth. It was very quick for me to see that the upper tire rod end on the drag link had play.
Yes I loosened the clamps so I can adjust the steering wheel. As far as the bushings they all show sign of ware but not cracked or anything. Could the spacer being installed on bottom be doing it? Also as far as the bushings shown in pic, I have sprayed a lot of pb blaster on all parts and also cleaned it under there with brake clean. One thing o didn't mention is I had a bump up on the passenger front. I hit my repo truck with that side. After that and before the spacers is when I noticed the steering was off.
post #11 of 18 Old 09-15-2018, 05:00 PM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
Also, torqueing your track bar to spec with an adjustable wrench isn't going to get it done. Buy a decent torque wrench if you're going to be doing your own suspension work. Well worth the $$. Ask me how I know.

2004 Special Edition WJ. LOADED!
2004 Rocky Mountain Edition. Froggy Bandit. Wife's Daily Driver. PRISTINE! Stock height and may stay that way.....
post #12 of 18 Old 09-15-2018, 10:02 PM
singletrack100
2004 WJ 

Front spacers should only be on top, not on the bottom. Also, your coil isolators on bottom are shot. They are the rubber part the springs sits on, and those should be right on the spring perch. From what I'm seeing, it looks like at least 2" spacers both on top and under the front springs, totaling 4". At 4" things get more complicated, requiring adjustable track bars and other parts. Also, it's entirely possible with that much your caster is way off, and many folks have pinpointed DW to bad caster, assuming everything is tight and no movement anywhere that's not supposed to be.
post #13 of 18 Old 09-16-2018, 01:00 AM
Bryanp3344

Thank you for your response. I thought there were two on each front spring. Will taking it in for an alignment help with the caster iyo or should the two bottom spacers be removed? And as for the adjustable, it was just a place to stick it while I cursed and screamed in pure disgust lol. I have a torque wrench and will be using it tomorrow. Thanks again
post #14 of 18 Old 09-17-2018, 11:26 AM
Jeeples
Harsh, but fair

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanp3344 View Post
Thank you for your response. I thought there were two on each front spring. Will taking it in for an alignment help with the caster iyo or should the two bottom spacers be removed? And as for the adjustable, it was just a place to stick it while I cursed and screamed in pure disgust lol. I have a torque wrench and will be using it tomorrow. Thanks again

Wait...you put two spacers on per spring? No wonder you're having issues.

I wouldn't drive that anywhere until you take the extra spacers out. Budget boosts will use 1 spacer per corner and are mounted on top of the spring. Also please ensure that the bottom of the spring is properly seated in the spring isolator, in the one photo you can see how the isolator is getting squished and pushed out of place due to the spring not being properly seated.

With your current setup you're at 4+ inches of lift with stock factory control arms and track bar, the only thing an alignment will do is adjust your toe. The critical areas to adjust at this height can't be done since the factory control arms and track bar are not adjustable.

His: '00 WJ 4.7 Limited- Some stuff

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 Laredo- Some more stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
This is easily the worst post, and thread, I have ever seen in 7 years of being on JF.
post #15 of 18 Old 09-18-2018, 09:45 AM
Bryanp3344

Yes. I assume it already had some when I bought it. I will remove the set on the bottom and see what happens. If I buy a 3 inch spring kit will I still need to change all those parts as well

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in