1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 03-27-2020, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Mhoude5
2004 WJ 

Garage
WJ Bushings in Control Arms

Hey guys!

I'm a long time visitor of this forum, but a first time poster! I've done a 3" IRO lift and a double cardan swap in the past 6 months with yalls help!! Now I have a question I am having troubles finding the answer to: I've searched many threads but it's possible I missed something, so feel free to point it out if I have!

I am considering replacing the bushings in my front upper control arms (MOOG Part No: K3166), and then trying to decide between replacement of front lower control arms (MOOG Part No: RK640773) or bushing replacement.

I figure I'll bother with the hassle of replacing the front upper bushing, as it's only one and I will have to do the axle side anyhow.

Now I know that most people say replacing bushing is not worth the headache / time, but I figure with Corona I have way more time right now than I'll probably ever have. However, I only want to do this if the quality of my original OEM control arms are better than the ones that Moog offers, since the price difference is pretty slim. I read that the Moog control arms aren't rolled metal like the OEM ones are (so the Moog are thinner). Anyone know if thats true?

Has anyone used the Oreilly/autozone ball joint press to get the bushings out on the control arms, and if so, did you need an extra set of adapters? If I do replace the bushings, I intend to use the ball joint press, a drill, and a hang chisel (I don't own air tools). Just curious if anyone has gone through the hassle and how it has worked out.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-27-2020, 05:05 PM
97Mule
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
I've replaced the upper axle bushings with a ball J press. I don't think i needed the extra adapters.... get them while your at the parts store.. FREE
I do remember "wanting" 3 hands to hold all of it until i got it snug!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old 03-27-2020, 05:35 PM
Spyder62

Like mule said you only got so many hands. I used some electric tape to hold the adapter pieces in place while tightening things up. I have the otc kit and another adapter kit as well . I kind of wish I got the longer press. I had to use A 3/4 drive socket for something, may have been on the rear uppers. Point is anything could be an adapter. A variety of sockets, steel black pipe. Maybe even some exhaust pipe of different diameter’s. Be careful with the passenger side upper control arm bracket on the axle. It’s sheet metal . Last but not least, don’t use Chinese garbage. Good luck

post #4 of 25 Old 03-27-2020, 09:51 PM
97Mule
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
Yeah the trick on the pass side is to put a piece of medal between the 2 sides as to keep them from getting out of kilter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 Old 03-27-2020, 11:37 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Go with Mopar bushings (press in ones) over Moog if you want better quality. Advance Auto Driveworks brand are Moog. Check the parts #.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes.
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #6 of 25 Old 03-29-2020, 07:01 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Are you referring to the front upper control arm UPPER bushings? The ones that bolt to the subframe? I just did the ones in the rear upper control arm with a small shop press. You should be able to remove the complete arm from the Jeep and get it out where you can work on it easier. Mopar parts are gonna be the best. Figure they made it this long, should be able to get the same outta the new ones. However, i used to install Moog frontend parts all the time back in the day(for a living), and i never had much trouble with them. My rear upper control arm bushings were MOOG. Guess i will be the test.

The trick with all these upper and lower control arm bushings is to leave all the bolts loose until you have the weight of the Jeep on the front suspension. Then torque to specs. If you tighten them while the suspension is hanging on jackstands, they will tear when you twist them under load.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #7 of 25 Old 03-30-2020, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Mhoude5
2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
Are you referring to the front upper control arm UPPER bushings? The ones that bolt to the subframe? I just did the ones in the rear upper control arm with a small shop press. You should be able to remove the complete arm from the Jeep and get it out where you can work on it easier. Mopar parts are gonna be the best. Figure they made it this long, should be able to get the same outta the new ones. However, i used to install Moog frontend parts all the time back in the day(for a living), and i never had much trouble with them. My rear upper control arm bushings were MOOG. Guess i will be the test.

The trick with all these upper and lower control arm bushings is to leave all the bolts loose until you have the weight of the Jeep on the front suspension. Then torque to specs. If you tighten them while the suspension is hanging on jackstands, they will tear when you twist them under load.
Yup! I plan to do all of my front control arms, including the front uppers both control arm side and axle side. Don't think I can afford Mopar as I have to do basically all my suspension parts (tie rod ends, ball joints etc), so MOOG it is! Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to keep the bolts loose until I lower it down. Just picked myself up a Milwaukee 12V fuel impact, so looking forward to this job being way easier on my arms than when I installed my lift without any impact tools!
post #8 of 25 Old 03-30-2020, 10:36 AM
jtpeters
2004 WJ 

Garage
@Bigrigr
I believe they are referring to the Passenger side UCA bushing which is pressed into the axle. The UCAs have an integrated bushing in them for the frame side, but use an <external> bushing installed on the axle for the axle end. (not sure if I made any sense!).

and yes....great advice on your torque procedure!

2004 Jeep Overland WJ 4.7 H.O. (Bought new in Oct 2003)
2014 Jeep Overland WK2 5.7 Hemi (Bought used in 2016 w/7k miles)
1970 Ford Mustang Boss 302 (in Family since 1974)
2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302
2011 BMW 328i
post #9 of 25 Old 03-30-2020, 09:08 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Moog part # K3116 does LOOK like the bushings that are pressed into the axle itself on the front of the upper control arms. You may wanna make sure that those are the ones you want before ordering. It may be easier(and just as cost effective) to just swap the whole arm. If you can find the bushings, they should press out easy enough.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #10 of 25 Old 03-31-2020, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Mhoude5
2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Moog part # K3116 does LOOK like the bushings that are pressed into the axle itself on the front of the upper control arms. You may wanna make sure that those are the ones you want before ordering. It may be easier(and just as cost effective) to just swap the whole arm. If you can find the bushings, they should press out easy enough.
Because I have to order the bushings for the axle, I know that I'll already be dealing with removing bushings. I don't wanna buy a whole upper arm if it is just one additional bushing on that arm that I have to remove and press in. Definitely easier to buy a new arm, slightly more cost effective (though it is a pretty insignificant difference) to replace bushings: 1 on each upper control arm, and then 2 on the axle.
post #11 of 25 Old 04-01-2020, 03:48 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhoude5 View Post
Because I have to order the bushings for the axle, I know that I'll already be dealing with removing bushings. I don't wanna buy a whole upper arm if it is just one additional bushing on that arm that I have to remove and press in. Definitely easier to buy a new arm, slightly more cost effective (though it is a pretty insignificant difference) to replace bushings: 1 on each upper control arm, and then 2 on the axle.
Yeah, I hear ya on the low cost option. I did a quick search online and didnt find anything that looked correct for the frame end bushings in the upper control arms however. They are slightly ovaled, not round. That is why i was worried you may have to buy the complete arm, because the bushings are not available loose? The Part # you supplied from Moog looks like the axle end bushing, not the frame end. I could be totally wrong though....I have not replaced the frame end bushings myself. But i have had the complete arms on and off, and have a couple factory arms sitting on my shop floor right now.

post #12 of 25 Old 04-01-2020, 12:22 PM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
You need these in your life. I'm running them and they are great.
https://www.detroitaxle.com/shop/sus...and%20Cherokee

Yes you can get the bushings separately, but pressing them in/out can be rough on 20 year-old factory spec control arms. They might not seat too tightly.

Also available on Amazon, but Amazon delivery sucks right now.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073D66118...v_ov_lig_dp_it

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift
post #13 of 25 Old 04-01-2020, 10:09 PM
rep-tile
Cash 4 clunkers survivor

2004 WJ 

To save you some time, K and CK Moog parts are the only ones worth buying. RK parts are a huge pile of garbage.

I do know from recently doing it that you won't find the K (or CK) for control arms assemblies, only for the bushings that go on the axle. Hell I don't know about the bushings on the control arms themselves as I wouldn't even think of doing that job, except for the rear upper A-arm (which I went Mopar).

04 WJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, DB-ALL
91 XJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, Stage-2 aFe intake system, BBK high flow Throttle Body, 703s injectors, Jones Exhaust A3518M-5
post #14 of 25 Old 04-02-2020, 03:25 AM
99AZWJ

1999 WJ 

Garage
Ive used these and they are amazing, super easy to install and the highest strength you can buy for your WJ.

https://trailforged.com/product/hd-r...e-bushing-kit/
post #15 of 25 Old 04-02-2020, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Mhoude5
2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Yeah, I hear ya on the low cost option. I did a quick search online and didnt find anything that looked correct for the frame end bushings in the upper control arms however. They are slightly ovaled, not round. That is why i was worried you may have to buy the complete arm, because the bushings are not available loose? The Part # you supplied from Moog looks like the axle end bushing, not the frame end. I could be totally wrong though....I have not replaced the frame end bushings myself. But i have had the complete arms on and off, and have a couple factory arms sitting on my shop floor right now.
Oooh! I guess where I have been causing confusion is I thought axle end / frame end were interchangeable. As in there is the axle / frame side and then the front upper control arm side. I still think K3166 is the correct part number for the frame? I think the bushings may be the same... at least that is what people in various comments purchasing the bushings seemed to say.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in