WJ Alignment - Bad Gearbox? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 08-18-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Downwards
2004 WJ 

Garage
Question WJ Alignment - Bad Gearbox?

So I just replaced Tie Rod, Tie Rod Ends, Drag Link, Upper and Lower Ball Joints on my WJ, which has a 3" lift, 114K miles. I took it to Belle Tire to get an alignment, they told me they set the toe, but when they centered the wheel, that my gear box is bad, cuz after they centered it, as soon as you turn the wheel it goes out. Anybody have any thoughts on this? I haven't really experienced any issues turning, etc. It did feel a little loose, but I don't know if that's because I was driving something else for a while, while I was doing all the front end work to my WJ and was used to how that felt..

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts on this, and if there's something I should try/check, I'd appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-18-2019, 04:09 PM
jansel620
2004 WJ 

I just rebuilt the the front end on my WJ, my problem was different though. I was wandering all over the road and I initially thought the gear box had had it. So my gear box was still good, I found a couple bad tie rod ends I also noticed excessive play from the track bar bushings (something you didnít mention replacing in your thread). Once I replaced the track bar it tightened everything up. So, eliminate the last thing you didnít touch as a potential problem by inspecting the track bar bushings when someone is moving the steering wheel back and forth. If those are fine, only one thing left, gear box.

With the wheels on the ground, I would think you would see the gear box skip or pop when turning the wheel to throw it all off. (Just a thought)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 3 Old 08-18-2019, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Downwards
2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jansel620 View Post
I just rebuilt the the front end on my WJ, my problem was different though. I was wandering all over the road and I initially thought the gear box had had it. So my gear box was still good, I found a couple bad tie rod ends I also noticed excessive play from the track bar bushings (something you didnít mention replacing in your thread). Once I replaced the track bar it tightened everything up. So, eliminate the last thing you didnít touch as a potential problem by inspecting the track bar bushings when someone is moving the steering wheel back and forth. If those are fine, only one thing left, gear box.

With the wheels on the ground, I would think you would see the gear box skip or pop when turning the wheel to throw it all off. (Just a thought)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The track bar was replaced a few years ago, with an IRO adjustable(when I installed the lift). The track bar bushings seemed fine, but I'll check them again. I did notice entire jeep pulled to the left and right a tad when turning the wheel to full lock, and the front corners of the Jeep go up on the side that you turn in the direction of(not sure if this is normal having a lift and 31 1/2" tires.. ) But not real movement track bar, control arm bushings, etc.

And no, there is zero popping, skipping or anything like that in the gear box when turning the wheel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in