WJ -> 4 door Comanche - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 11-10-2015, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
swiftnomad
2001 WJ 

Xj WJ -> 4 door Comanche

I've made up my mind that this weekend I'm going to do something I never done before and cut up my jeep.

GOAL:

WJ -> 4 door Comanche. I wanted a 6-foot bed though so I don't know how that can happen with drivetrain or anything. What do you suggest?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-10-2015, 10:50 AM
ChrisHager

2004 WJ 

Garage
Well, how much of the WJ do you want to keep? Are you using only the body/unibody and attaching a bed behind the second row of seats then putting a whole new drivetrain under it?

I'm getting ahead of myself. Here's an even better starting question - Have you ever done something like this before?

~Chris
His: 2004 WJ - OME HD 'Kolak' Lift -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

His: 1979 J-10 - 3" on 33s -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

His: 2009 Expedition
His: 1978 F250 Custom -

Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
"You can't recycle tartar sauce."
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_80 View Post
Weird, I didn't realize you could use vomit as coolant.
post #3 of 18 Old 11-10-2015, 11:46 AM
jpat30

A la Brute?

In to see where this goes for sure

-Carpe Diem Phil 1:20

post #4 of 18 Old 11-10-2015, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
swiftnomad
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
Well, how much of the WJ do you want to keep? Are you using only the body/unibody and attaching a bed behind the second row of seats then putting a whole new drivetrain under it?

I'm getting ahead of myself. Here's an even better starting question - Have you ever done something like this before?
Never done anything like this before but I have the tools. I'm thinking of keeping the front half and adding a bed behind.. and hopefully use the tailgate like the current jeep. I honestly don't know.

I'd like to keep the unibody but I don't like how small the bed is. It's just sheet metal so we will see what I end up doing. What would you do?
post #5 of 18 Old 11-10-2015, 02:43 PM
ChrisHager

2004 WJ 

Garage
Personally, unless I had disposable time and money, I don't think I'd try to turn the WJ into a truck. That's just me though.

I think you're going to find this to be quite the project. I doubt I'll be much of any help but I'll definitely stick around to see what you come up with. Good luck!

~Chris
His: 2004 WJ - OME HD 'Kolak' Lift -

His: 1979 J-10 - 3" on 33s -

His: 2009 Expedition
His: 1978 F250 Custom -

Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
"You can't recycle tartar sauce."
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_80 View Post
Weird, I didn't realize you could use vomit as coolant.
post #6 of 18 Old 11-10-2015, 05:48 PM
ShinyWJ
2002 WJ 

Please don't drive the end product on public roads. Thank you!

But good luck in your endeavor!

2002 WJ Limited | 4.7 | Quadra-Drive | Inferno Red Pearl | Dark Slate Gray
post #7 of 18 Old 11-10-2015, 07:23 PM
Highschool_WJ

1999 WJ 

My recommendation would be based on your fabrication/ body work skills. If you want a longer bed you're gonna have to extend the frame and fab up all new rear fender as well as fab new control arm mounts to the new section of the frame, new brake lines, driveshaft, move the gas tank, and the list goes on.

Or go with a two door version, like this

So if you have minimal experience in fab and body work I would recommend going with a short bed version such as this

If you have no experience I would recommend just buying a small 4 door truck and modifying it to work as well as the WJ would.

But to help out, if you search chopped WJ on google you'll find a few threads with different examples with write ups on some of them.

,,,soooo I graduated in 2013...
post #8 of 18 Old 11-10-2015, 07:35 PM
gcjeeping

2001 WJ 

post #9 of 18 Old 11-10-2015, 07:36 PM
braddf
2001 WJ 

I think that's the only one I have ever seen that turned out halfway decent

Build thread: http://bit.ly/1puFzZm
Stock rims for sale: http://bit.ly/1kMw7k5
post #10 of 18 Old 11-10-2015, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
swiftnomad
2001 WJ 

Thanks for the search term so I can find stuff on google. I was searching for wj truck conversion, but I didn't find anything like these pictures. Chopped WJ is giving better results. Now I'm second guessing this decision. Hmm
post #11 of 18 Old 11-17-2015, 07:32 AM
dlundblad
2003 WJ 

Do they not have any Comanches or other Jeep trucks down in Mexico?

03 WJ Laredo 4.Sl0w
2" BB-Overland Skids
IPF 868 lights-197K
245/75/16 GY DuraTracs
post #12 of 18 Old 11-17-2015, 07:20 PM
messiah
2003 WJ 

OK, I don't get it. I mean the reason for doing this? To me at least, those chopped vehicles all look awful. Some were done better than others, but none are something I'd be seen in public with. Is the idea to make a grand cherokee ugly? What would the purpose be of doing this?
post #13 of 18 Old 11-17-2015, 07:29 PM
ezflip

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by messiah View Post
OK, I don't get it. I mean the reason for doing this? To me at least, those chopped vehicles all look awful. Some were done better than others, but none are something I'd be seen in public with. Is the idea to make a grand cherokee ugly? What would the purpose be of doing this?
Good thing its not your jeep and you don't have to drive it. Lets keep the creative train going and keep negative, subjective comments like these to a minimum. Hopefully this thread goes somewhere. Id like to see what the OP can come up with

~James
post #14 of 18 Old 11-18-2015, 02:30 PM
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I kinda dig this. Cut out the top of the roof over the driver and front passenger, and make a soft top like a TJ Unlimited...... A WJ 2-door Unlimited Softop.
Attached Images

88YJ:SOA/locked/35s/Superwinch=Wheeling Jeep.
04WJ:4.0/3"+10mm/Superwinch=DD & Expedition Jeep.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-18-2015, 03:57 PM
nickfast
2002 WJ 

How much strength do you lose, putting a big hole in the frame structure like that?
It's done somewhat commonly on Cherokees, and there is a tone of reinforcement that has to be done afterward to keep the rig from twisting into a pretzel the first time you hit the gas...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in