WJ 4.7L Heads Best Bang-for-buck Reman/Rebuild? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-12-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
LostInAZ
2001 WJ 

Wj WJ 4.7L Heads Best Bang-for-buck Reman/Rebuild?

So my 4.7L WJ has suffered the all-to-common valve seat drop (@ 200,450 Mi - BTW less than 5 milies after install of a 4" IRO Long Arm Lift - FML!)...

Needless to say I am in the market for a reman/rebuilt head. It seems like there are two national well-known shops in this area: Clearwater Cylinder Heads (www.cylinder-heads.com - $600 for both) and Cylinder Heads International (www.headsonly.com - $550 for both). Online reviews of these shops are mixed each with a couple positive and negative citations regarding 4.7L heads... (the 4.0L heads from CCH and CHI are well received by JF posters) Has anyone tried them for their 4.7L Jeep? How many miles so far?

Also I am curious how exactly they address the valve seat drop issue... based on Bryan916's youtube video (see 22:00 min mark -
) looks like they may have just removed the seats altogether and then ground the aluminum (!!???) or maybe those are just hammer marks to re-seat the replaced valve seats?

Any other shops worth their salt bang-for-buck-wise also worth considering?

I really don't want to do this job twice, but also don't want to go broke!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-15-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
LostInAZ
2001 WJ 

So today I have contacted a local head rebuilder (Tucson Cylinder Head Service)... his over-the-phone quote was within $100 of the online prices I am finding, but he assures me of quality parts and a proper repair (replacement) of ALL of the intake seats (not just as-needed, and not "pinned" - via banging existing metal over the seat.), but a true and proper rebuild (new seats, guides, re-grind, etc.). Also will be rebuilding my heads, that I know the history on (ie no overheating), way happier with this solution! Fingers crossed!
post #3 of 9 Old 04-16-2019, 01:03 AM
sdg3205

2001 WJ 

Is he pressing in new exhaust seats as well? Hope so.

post #4 of 9 Old 04-16-2019, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
LostInAZ
2001 WJ 

@ sdg3205 - Exhaust seat are not in the original quote, he stated he has never seen an exhaust seat drop... just the intake. That said I have literally just found a technical bulletin from SB International (the parts supplier he uses) indicating that they recommend ALL seats be replaced... That said, he did not recommend that as part of the repair and has been doing heads for over 40 years... so I am inclined to divert to his professional judgement, but was going to check on JF to see if people were experiencing exhaust valve seat drop as well.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-16-2019, 09:01 AM
sdg3205

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInAZ View Post
@ sdg3205 - Exhaust seat are not in the original quote, he stated he has never seen an exhaust seat drop... just the intake. That said I have literally just found a technical bulletin from SB International (the parts supplier he uses) indicating that they recommend ALL seats be replaced... That said, he did not recommend that as part of the repair and has been doing heads for over 40 years... so I am inclined to divert to his professional judgement, but was going to check on JF to see if people were experiencing exhaust valve seat drop as well.

Oh they can drop too. Here’s a video by our friend Martinbuilt with a head with a dropped exhaust seat.

post #6 of 9 Old 04-16-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
LostInAZ
2001 WJ 

Ohh!! Good to know! Will ask for an extended quote (including exhaust seats).
post #7 of 9 Old 04-16-2019, 09:24 PM
99sajeep

2005 WK 

@cDee63 just replaced his heads recently. Look for his thread on the replacement and he talks about where he got the new heads from. Or send him a PM.

'99 WJ 4x4 Ltd 4.7L (sold)
'05 WK 4x4 Ltd 5.7L (mine) 200k+ club
'01 WJ 4x4 Laredo 4.7L (daughter)
post #8 of 9 Old 04-16-2019, 09:54 PM
sdg3205

2001 WJ 

Odessa on eBay has a great reputation as well
post #9 of 9 Old 04-16-2019, 10:26 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99sajeep View Post
@cDee63 just replaced his heads recently. Look for his thread on the replacement and he talks about where he got the new heads from. Or send him a PM.
Good tip and I too remember when cDee was talking about buying his new heads below with a link included.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...l#post40538947

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in