WJ 4.7 and Selectrac - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 02-16-2020, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
electrum

2013 WK 

WJ 4.7 and Selectrac

I had a 2004 WJ with 4.0L that was in perfect condition. I was going to replace the engine just to get some more HP with a Golen stroker, but got talked out of it by the wife.
So I sold it to a high school kid and bought a lightly used 2013 WK2 Overland with all the offroad options.
I'm really disappointed in the 5.7 Hemi.. seems to be pretty gutless. my old WJ 4.0L seemed to have more torque, although it might just be the added weight of the WK2.
and the WK2 just isn't a serious off road Jeep. the computer that controls the 4wd doesn't seem to work to well in deep snow... gotten stuck twice already.. one time i had the gas pedal floored and the computer refused to even rev up the engine.

I'm regretting selling the WJ.

so i've been watching the want-ads...
for a 4.7 V8 with a Select-trak transfer case... which seems pretty rare.

I think i found one on the other side of town... it's a 2002 Laredo that looks pretty good in the pictures.

so i've heard that the 4.7 comes in a H.O. version? is that correct and is there really any difference?
my wifes 99 XJ has a 4.0L that I think was listed as a H.O. and it came with a header.

is the Select-trak on a 2002 the same xCase as on the 2004?

which would you do... get a 4.7 V8, or a another 4.0L and swap in the Golen 4.6L stroker?

gone: 91 YJ 4.0, 00 XJ 4.0, 04 WJ 4.0
gone: 08 Charger SRT8 SuperBee
99 XJ 4.0
13 WK2 5.7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-16-2020, 08:46 PM
smokeyyank

Yes the 4.7 comes in the HO and is a beast. Stock on Overland trim optional of others. The 4.7 with select trac is a rare option. I swapped mine in and took some hunting to find the tcase but bolt in affair. Theres not even a comparison between the 4.0 and 4.7HO. I drive both right now and the 4.0 is stock and 4.7 is built a little. The 4.7 hauls the 4.0 just feels like it struggles. While I love the extra umph and driveability of the 4.7 they can be a PITA to work in. The 4.0 has a ton of room in the engine bay to get around in the 4.7 is tight.

Are you going to lift and run higher tires or keeping it stock?

What's your budget overall?

04 WJ, 4.7HO
3" IRO lift, fastman TB, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" exhaust
post #3 of 15 Old 02-16-2020, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
electrum

2013 WK 

i'm probably going to do only like 31inch tires, so 2 or 3 inch lift max.
so i just talked with the owner, and they assure me it is a 4.7 V8... if it is the H.O, how could I tell, does it have a decal on the rear ? or comes with factory headers?

if i sell my WK2 for maybe 18k, i could spend about 1/2 of that and the wife would probably let me sleep in the house.. hehheh.. i'm retired and don't have extra money laying around anymore.
probably rear locker, and redo anything that looks worn out, like bushings, shocks etc and it has leather seats and stock audio, which i would change out.
i've even considered calling back the high school kid and asking for my old WJ back... but i'm sure he wouldn't let it go.

99 XJ 4.0
13 WK2 5.7

post #4 of 15 Old 02-17-2020, 01:34 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
This is a Laredo with Leather seats? I never seen one, but it would be awesome if that's the case. Also, i have never seen an HO V8 in the laredo package. Just a standard 4.7L I understand that there is about a 25-30 HP difference between the two. The standard V8 is still way better than the 4.0l in my opinion.(yes, i have owned both) If it is a V8 with the Select-trac transfer case, it would be a bit of a Unicorn, as they are super hard to find nowadays. You could always swap in the HO cams and get a little boost....

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's
post #5 of 15 Old 02-17-2020, 06:39 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrum View Post
... the computer that controls the 4wd doesn't seem to work to well in deep snow... gotten stuck twice already.. one time i had the gas pedal floored and the computer refused to even rev up the engine.
Read the owners manual and learn how to disable traction control. The computer is trying to prevent the tires from spinning, as it was designed to. Some vehicles have a switch on the dash to disable it, others will disable it if you manually move the shifter from Drive to 2nd gear and then hit the gas.
Sometimes you need to spin the tires so they can spit out the old snow/mud/etc. and get a new grip.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-17-2020, 06:56 AM
JoMc67

Garage
[QUOTE=electrum;40876709] if it is the H.O, how could I tell, does it have a decal on the rear ? or comes with factory headers?

There is about a 25 HP difference between the V8 and V8 HO...When you open the Hood the Big Air-Hat would either say Power Tech V8, or Power Tech V8 HIGH OUTPUT (HO).

I purchased New an 01' Durango w/4.7 and installed:
HO Intake & Cams out of an 02-04' Jeep Overland...I also have a Fastman TB, Flowmaster FX exhaust (use to be a Flowmaster 50), K&N Air Intake, 180 degree T-Stat, NGK plugs (1x Heat Range Cooler), and Superchips Tuner.
Make sure to only use NGK/Champ Platinum Plugs for HO as non-HO still uses Copper Core.

You can still do one better then the above 02-04' HO Intake & Cams by using and 08' Intake & Cams (but will need an adapter plate for it to work)...
These 2x sites have all your wants & needs for your future 4.7 endeavors :-)

http://wjjeeps.com/jmenu.htm

http://www.airram.com/custompage.php?page=18

Joe
post #7 of 15 Old 02-17-2020, 08:56 AM
smokeyyank

Beyond the cams there several differences between a 4.7 and HO. It's not that cut and dry. Internals are entirely different and even fuel system is as well. If you want a HO find a HO. HO will have a decal on the back and as the pic above showed HO on the airbox. Leather seats can be swapped into a laredo. On my 4.0 someone swapped the covers same on my 4.7 that was a columbia edition.

9k for a budget you can have a nice rig easily. I personally would either do a 4.0 with an axle swap to a d4aa with 3.73s. Wouldnt bother with a stroker. 4.7 is addictive to drive but motors aren't known for superior reliability and if you get stuck having to rebuild it that will be 3-5k depending on certain factors. I thought mine with a blown engine for $500. My rebuild for some other things done was 4k. That would be the best option IMHO if you wanted a 4.7.

04 WJ, 4.7HO
3" IRO lift, fastman TB, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" exhaust
post #8 of 15 Old 02-17-2020, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
electrum

2013 WK 

ok, thanks for the replys..
i'm going to look at it wednesday.. i'll find out if it is a Laredo or Limited and if it an HO or not.

99 XJ 4.0
13 WK2 5.7
post #9 of 15 Old 02-18-2020, 07:10 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Freedom Editions also had the HO 4.7.
"Freedom" meant free from all options except the HO engine though. They're a Laredo with little else going for it in options inside.

Go to wjjeeps.com to see all trim models and what was available for the WJ.

'04 Freedom Edition HO & '04 Overland HO (previous '00 Laredo 4.7)
post #10 of 15 Old 02-18-2020, 10:23 AM
ibuildit

I found my 2001 Laredo with 4.7 (non HO) with selectrac, D44a with 3.73, double cardon shaft and leather seats all stock. Seems it was a custom build from the dealer as a RV tow behind.

Luckily I got it for a song since the 3rd owner let it overheat and dropped a valve seat, I hand built the new 4.7 and added an 04 intake.
post #11 of 15 Old 02-19-2020, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
electrum

2013 WK 

ok, went and looked at the WJ tonight.. in the dark. Engine sounded good, but it is not a High Output 4.7....bummer.
took it for a test drive, engine seemed to run strong.
and... it does have the Select-Trac... but had problems getting it into 4-low. while stopped, in Neutral, it took a *lot* of pulling to get the selector into the 'neutral' position, and a lot of pushing down and pulling to get it into 4-low. and it sounded 'crunchy' as i moved the selector. The owner was with me otherwise I wouldn't have put that much pressure on the selector.
4-low did work after it went in.
then had the same problem getting it back to 2wd... really hard to get that selector to move. its possible its never been in 4-low before, maybe?
this is Utah... so there should be no rust.

but the thing that worried me.. going about 35mph down a flat concrete street.. if i accelerated slightly, it pulled to the right. if i de-celerated slightly it pulled to the left.
i had ran a car fax on it, and there were two visits to a dealer to fix 'thrust angle'... sounds like that might be related?

so.. in your opinion.. does the Select-trac have problems?
and is the pull to right/left indicate some major suspension problem?

thanks for replies...

99 XJ 4.0
13 WK2 5.7
post #12 of 15 Old 02-19-2020, 11:26 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
If you have the factory shifter with that Select-trac transfer case, it requires you to push down on the handle to get it into neutral and 4-low, then it will require a little fiddling to get it back "up" and into the forward positions. It probably just needs you on a empty street and no one watching to get it figured out( I hate test drives with the owner along for the ride).

Thrust angle issues could definitely be causing a pull left or right going down the road, but loose track bars and front end parts could also do it. With that kind of history, I would make sure i had a shop go through the suspension front and rear, and do an alignment check to see where it is at. These Jeeps with coil springs all the way around, do have a little "wag" in the rear that takes a little getting used to. I understand that if you get the upgraded sway bars(Addco) that it helps tremendously. I havent done it yet myself, but they are on my wish list.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's
post #13 of 15 Old 02-20-2020, 10:24 AM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
The thrust issue ... my money is on the rear LCAs. Mine did the same thing. Others would put money on the rear upper ball joint. Even money says you replace all rear control arms + ball joint and the thrust problem goes away.

Not uncommon to require a lot of coercion to engage 4LO, and not at all uncommon to hear some gear noises when you do. Best to keep the Jeep rolling a bit when engaging 4LO. See the 47:33 mark of the original Jeep Operating Tips video that was included with original purchase:
. Yeah they show a QTII in the vid, but this also holds for the ST.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift
post #14 of 15 Old 02-20-2020, 03:51 PM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

From http://wjjeeps.com/ho_engine.htm

4.7-ho-availability.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanWJ View Post
The thrust issue ... my money is on the rear LCAs....
I agree, rear lower control arms have bad bushings.
post #15 of 15 Old 02-20-2020, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
electrum

2013 WK 

ok, thanks... bushings i think is no big deal. I was going to have all the worn-out stuff replaced anyway.

99 XJ 4.0
13 WK2 5.7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in