WJ 4.7 dies while driving. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 06-23-2021, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
redsniper
1999 WJ 

Wj WJ 4.7 dies while driving.

The model of the jeep is 1999, 4.7 LHD production for Canada.
Hello friends, I have a strange problem with my car. While driving, the engine stops running, and I can't start it again. It strikes me that when the problem occurs, the meters on the dashboard are at zero and the chek engine lamp is not lit. After some time of rest, the jeep starts and everything works. Another thing I noticed is that if I disconnect and reconnect the black plug of the PCM module, the jeep starts and works. Please if anyone has any idea what is going to help. I'm afraid to drive the car a long distance so it doesn't go out. Thanks in advance.
Greetings Victor.

Grand Cherokee WJ Limited 4.7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-23-2021, 08:46 PM
sdg3205

2001 WJ 

Any codes?
post #3 of 22 Old 06-23-2021, 10:38 PM
skatulaki
2002 WJ 

I had similar problems with my 97 GC, I had previously had backfire problems and had replaced the ECM. Then later the same type quitting problems. It would quit while driving down the highway and a couple min later start up again. At the time I was driving city Interstate, and a vehicle quitting in 80 mph traffic was a real recipe for death. So I was negotiating a deal on my 02 that I have now. Anyway in the middle of it, I think I found the problem, It quit and I couldn't get it back restarted. After I cleaned all the battery cables and the battery cable ground to the fender ( which looked makeshift tbh ) It started back up and I didn't have the problem again, drove all the way to Orlando to get the 02, and a couple weeks later got a ride and drove it back with no problems. I kept it for a while and would still have it today, except for stupid ordinances that won't let you keep untagged vehicles, so I sold it. Later I found out, if it has a for sale sign on it, then it is ok to have it.

post #4 of 22 Old 06-23-2021, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
redsniper
1999 WJ 

Sorry, there are no error codes.

post #5 of 22 Old 06-23-2021, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
redsniper
1999 WJ 

Thanks, I will check all the wiring.

post #6 of 22 Old 06-24-2021, 01:27 AM
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatulaki View Post
I had similar problems with my 97 GC, I had previously had backfire problems and had replaced the ECM. Then later the same type quitting problems. It would quit while driving down the highway and a couple min later start up again. At the time I was driving city Interstate, and a vehicle quitting in 80 mph traffic was a real recipe for death. So I was negotiating a deal on my 02 that I have now. Anyway in the middle of it, I think I found the problem, It quit and I couldn't get it back restarted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatulaki View Post
After I cleaned all the battery cables and the battery cable ground to the fender ( which looked makeshift tbh ) It started back up and I didn't have the problem again, drove all the way to Orlando to get the 02, and a couple weeks later got a ride and drove it back with no problems. I kept it for a while and would still have it today, except for stupid ordinances that won't let you keep untagged vehicles, so I sold it. Later I found out, if it has a for sale sign on it, then it is ok to have it.

I think that installing an extra earth cable is always a good idea.

An extra earth cable that is at least as thick as the work's one.

Last edited by Delta0; 06-24-2021 at 11:07 AM.
post #7 of 22 Old 06-24-2021, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
redsniper
1999 WJ 

Yesterday I checked the installation around the PCM and around the motor, there is no rubbing or breaking of wires, I removed all the reinforcement of the cable bundle, all cables are like new.

post #8 of 22 Old 06-25-2021, 01:07 AM
Delta0

Have you tried taking the black plug out of the PCM module a few times yet?
And putting it back a few times of course

Taking a connector out and putting it back cleans the contacts.

I usually smear a little normal car grease on the plug when I put it back for the last time.
post #9 of 22 Old 06-25-2021, 08:02 AM
sdg3205

2001 WJ 

If the Jeep dies while driving and all the gauges die with it, sounds like PCM failure to me. Intermittent battery terminal issues typically cause starting issues, not running issues. Clean and re-seat the terminals and posts to eliminate as a possibility but sounds to me the like computer **** the bed.
post #10 of 22 Old 06-25-2021, 12:30 PM
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
If the Jeep dies while driving and all the gauges die with it, sounds like PCM failure to me. Intermittent battery terminal issues typically cause starting issues, not running issues. Clean and re-seat the terminals and posts to eliminate as a possibility but sounds to me the like computer **** the bed.
Or perhaps the ground for the computer?
Or perhaps the connections inside the computer plug?
post #11 of 22 Old 06-25-2021, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
redsniper
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0 View Post
Have you tried taking the black plug out of the PCM module a few times yet?
And putting it back a few times of course

Taking a connector out and putting it back cleans the contacts.

I usually smear a little normal car grease on the plug when I put it back for the last time.
Yes, of course, all three PCM jacks were removed, cleaned with a contact cleaner, and then installed. There is no change in the behavior of the engine, it goes out again.

post #12 of 22 Old 06-25-2021, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
redsniper
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
And I think so, I just don't want the situation to develop like that. I will do a few more tests to confirm the diagnosis.

post #13 of 22 Old 06-25-2021, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
redsniper
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0 View Post
Or perhaps the ground for the computer?
Or perhaps the connections inside the computer plug?
I tried to open the PCM module to check for cold solder, but the whole module is covered with some jelly like strawberry jam and I can't take it out of the case.

post #14 of 22 Old 06-27-2021, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
redsniper
1999 WJ 

Hello again. The problem is probably in the PCM module. The problem is that my module has the number 56044427AE but I can't find it with this number, it has the same number but with other letters on the back. Can I replace the module with another number.

post #15 of 22 Old 06-27-2021, 02:23 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Module number can have many different combos for the letters at the end, its only the actual number before those letters you are concerned with. @Waterluvr can explain more on this, and can help you with a replacement if needed...

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in