WJ 4.0 engine possibly busted !! - JeepForum.com
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 06-14-2021, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
HassZJ1998

1998 ZJ 

WJ 4.0 engine possibly busted !!

hello Jeepers,

my WJ has been leaking from the radiator for a while, but due to the lockdown and all that i wasn't able to get any replacement or fix the radiator so i was adding some tap water to the return reservoir like daily, and the Jeep was going good, even with the leak, the temperature was in the normal range.

eventually the leak became much severe, it is actually a crack on the upper left side of the radiator, as i was driving to work the engine temperature started rising so i head back home, so i can park it, while driving i started to hear noises from the engine, knocking noises, felt like the crank and/or valves, a mixture of noises.

eventually, reached home, the temperature was at the edge of the red mark, i stopped the engine, waited for like half an hour, added some water to the radiator, after like a couple of minutes the water erupted out like a fountain.

kept it parked for a couple of days, i checked the engine oil, not contaminated then added some water to the radiator, started the engine, no noises, nothing aside from the humming of the mech fan, i didn't run it for more than 10 seconds.

i can't say i have the professional level to tell if the engine is harmed, but i do know upon startup if there is anything damaged or broken inside an engine, the engine sounded normal, no knocks, clicks no, dings no bangs no nothing, however there were codes related to the crank sensor i wrote them somewhere but sadly can't find them.

i owned this WJ since 2017 or so, during this time i replaced the efan twice, in both times i fitted the Doorman fan, yet they get busted in 6 to 9 months time, upon shutting off the engine, the efan will squeak and the squeak louder gradually day after day till it just won't work.

i remember there were 2 codes related to the fan relay which i saw upon turning the ignition key 3 times, but sadly i don't remember what these 2 codes are, 1690 or something like that.

for the last 18 months, i was driving it without the efan, i planned to repair all these issues but lockdown came and there was no time to go around buy parts or even to drop the Jeep in any repair shop.

so, right now i am contemplating getting a radiator and a thermostat (since i feel the thermostat is stuck, the leak from the radiator is always cold to the touch, always, not even warm) and try my luck, cuz the other option is to sell the Jeep to the junkyard, and i hate to sell this Jeep since it has all that i want in it, and not easy finding another one like it.

the reason why is, i had a very similar situations with my previous XJ it was 1991, leaking coolant and overheating a lot, and it kept going for so long till i fixed it eventually, i mean these 4.0 are sturdy engines, at least i hope this one is.

i appreciate any feedback, thank you.

please take a look at my posts maybe you can help me, i always appreciate any feedback, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-14-2021, 04:02 AM
snowbuggy
2004 WJ 

New radiators are only $120 at rockauto.
HassZJ1998 likes this.
post #3 of 22 Old 06-14-2021, 06:55 AM
Delta0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassZJ1998 View Post
hello Jeepers,

my WJ has been leaking from the radiator for a while, but due to the lockdown and all that i wasn't able to get any replacement or fix the radiator so i was adding some tap water to the return reservoir like daily, and the Jeep was going good, even with the leak, the temperature was in the normal range.

eventually the leak became much severe, it is actually a crack on the upper left side of the radiator, as i was driving to work the engine temperature started rising so i head back home, so i can park it, while driving i started to hear noises from the engine, knocking noises, felt like the crank and/or valves, a mixture of noises.

eventually, reached home, the temperature was at the edge of the red mark, i stopped the engine, waited for like half an hour, added some water to the radiator, after like a couple of minutes the water erupted out like a fountain.

kept it parked for a couple of days, i checked the engine oil, not contaminated then added some water to the radiator, started the engine, no noises, nothing aside from the humming of the mech fan, i didn't run it for more than 10 seconds.

i can't say i have the professional level to tell if the engine is harmed, but i do know upon startup if there is anything damaged or broken inside an engine, the engine sounded normal, no knocks, clicks no, dings no bangs no nothing, however there were codes related to the crank sensor i wrote them somewhere but sadly can't find them.

i owned this WJ since 2017 or so, during this time i replaced the efan twice, in both times i fitted the Doorman fan, yet they get busted in 6 to 9 months time, upon shutting off the engine, the efan will squeak and the squeak louder gradually day after day till it just won't work.

i remember there were 2 codes related to the fan relay which i saw upon turning the ignition key 3 times, but sadly i don't remember what these 2 codes are, 1690 or something like that.

for the last 18 months, i was driving it without the efan, i planned to repair all these issues but lockdown came and there was no time to go around buy parts or even to drop the Jeep in any repair shop.

so, right now i am contemplating getting a radiator and a thermostat (since i feel the thermostat is stuck, the leak from the radiator is always cold to the touch, always, not even warm) and try my luck, cuz the other option is to sell the Jeep to the junkyard, and i hate to sell this Jeep since it has all that i want in it, and not easy finding another one like it.

the reason why is, i had a very similar situations with my previous XJ it was 1991, leaking coolant and overheating a lot, and it kept going for so long till i fixed it eventually, i mean these 4.0 are sturdy engines, at least i hope this one is.

i appreciate any feedback, thank you.
If the engine is knackered, would you junk the car or mend it Hass?

It'll will cost you $130 at Rock Auto to find out if the engine is knackered.

Only you can decide to risk, or not, a further $130 to solve the riddle I'm afraid.
HassZJ1998 and Bigrigr like this.

post #4 of 22 Old 06-14-2021, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
HassZJ1998

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0 View Post
If the engine is knackered, would you junk the car or mend it Hass?

It'll will cost you $130 at Rock Auto to find out if the engine is knackered.

Only you can decide to risk, or not, a further $130 to solve the riddle I'm afraid.
thank you Delta, this is why i started this thread, i am like thinking loudly here.

i am running on an extremely low budget, so low that it almost does not exist, rebuilding the engine will cost me actually more than if i just swapped it with a rebuilt one from the junkyard.

also, there is no time, i have only Fridays free (weekend here) and almost all the shops and retailers close the same time i leave work.

i was actually planning to remove the radiator, weld it clean it and pressure test it and install it again and see how it goes but i thought well maybe some one here faced the same situation so here i am

what i hope to hear from members here, in case any one faced a similar situation to mine, running the engine with the temperature rising, so before i spend even as little as a $100 i can have some clues you know !!

one more thing, i bought this WJ back in 2017 for around $1000, spent another $200 give or take on some minor fixes and it went on with no issues at all for 2 years, till the radiator started leaking at the same time the outbreak of Covid and everything came to a hault, generally WJs here (2001 ~2004 year model) sell for around $1200~$1500 and they are the Limited not the Laredos, so this is why if the engine is busted i'm better off scrapping mine and find another one.

thank you.

please take a look at my posts maybe you can help me, i always appreciate any feedback, thank you.
post #5 of 22 Old 06-14-2021, 12:35 PM
Dust Devil

1999 WJ 

The temperature starting to rise dramatically was the indication that your cooling system had failed.

Driving it after that probably overheated it badly but the 4.0 seems pretty tolerant of abuse.

I would put a new radiator in it to try. You could also look for a cheap used radiator. If you try that, drive it for maybe 4-500 miles to see if it has increased oil consumption or other problems that come up.

Lockdown is a poor excuse for waiting. Auto repair was considered an essential business and never shut down around here. If you had time on your hands, that was the time to order parts, wait for them patiently and then carry out your repair.
HassZJ1998 likes this.
post #6 of 22 Old 06-14-2021, 06:50 PM
anotherheep

Get you radiator topped of and keep the cap off, then run the engine for a while and see if you have bubbles coming up to the radiator fill neck. That will tell you if there's a head/gasket issue too. The way you describe it making noise before you shut it off certainly doesn't sound good though.
HassZJ1998 likes this.
post #7 of 22 Old 06-14-2021, 07:04 PM
anotherheep

Just make sure you don't have air still trapped in your system from refilling after the coolant loss, first
HassZJ1998 and Bigrigr like this.
post #8 of 22 Old 06-14-2021, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
HassZJ1998

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust Devil View Post
The temperature starting to rise dramatically was the indication that your cooling system had failed.

Driving it after that probably overheated it badly but the 4.0 seems pretty tolerant of abuse.

I would put a new radiator in it to try. You could also look for a cheap used radiator. If you try that, drive it for maybe 4-500 miles to see if it has increased oil consumption or other problems that come up.

Lockdown is a poor excuse for waiting. Auto repair was considered an essential business and never shut down around here. If you had time on your hands, that was the time to order parts, wait for them patiently and then carry out your repair.
thank you Dust Devil.

i admit, i drove it while i should have parked it instantly.

sadly here auto repair shops and parts were not considered essential.

thank you for the advice, i am more likely gonna do that.

post #9 of 22 Old 06-14-2021, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
HassZJ1998

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherheep View Post
Get you radiator topped of and keep the cap off, then run the engine for a while and see if you have bubbles coming up to the radiator fill neck. That will tell you if there's a head/gasket issue too. The way you describe it making noise before you shut it off certainly doesn't sound good though.
thank you anotherjeep.

appreciate it.

post #10 of 22 Old 06-15-2021, 05:53 PM
skatulaki
2002 WJ 

Last night, I typed a couple posts about what to do with your radiator, and while they appeared to be entered, they are not here!
post #11 of 22 Old 06-15-2021, 06:00 PM
skatulaki
2002 WJ 

So I'm going to make a shorter one. Considering your budget constraints, I suggested that you use plumbers putty to patch your radiator on a temporary basis before you start making decisions. I have successfully done this. For about $20 dollars you can get a tube of Plumbers Putty and a Thermostat. Patch your crack and run your Jeep long enough to decide whether or not you want to pony up for a new Rad ! Simple , cheap, and will help you make your decision.

If you want to know how to go about it? Let me know!
HassZJ1998 likes this.
post #12 of 22 Old 06-15-2021, 06:02 PM
skypilot123

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatulaki View Post
Last night, I typed a couple posts about what to do with your radiator, and while they appeared to be entered, they are not here!
I found out the hard way that the factory fans draw more current than is good for the wiring. You need to replace the chassis harness end connector with a new one, and go back to the factory cooling fans.

That said the 4.0l engine is probably just fine, I have overheated one much worse than you did and more often.
HassZJ1998 likes this.
post #13 of 22 Old 06-15-2021, 06:09 PM
skatulaki
2002 WJ 

The computer is suppossed to shut the engine down before damage occurs ! If you were still running then maybe you didn't reach shut down thresh hold. If it seems ok, you might be all right!

Oil is the primary engine coolant, water the secondary! As long as you still had oil, you should be all right. I once knew a guy with an apparently verboten to mention vehicle that overheated until it quit running. After it cooled down and the overheating problem fixed. His daughter drove it for years, and she and I had a lot of fun in the back seat at the drive in!
HassZJ1998 likes this.
post #14 of 22 Old 06-15-2021, 06:15 PM
skatulaki
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot123 View Post
I found out the hard way that the factory fans draw more current than is good for the wiring. You need to replace the chassis harness end connector with a new one, and go back to the factory cooling fans.

That said the 4.0l engine is probably just fine, I have overheated one much worse than you did and more often.
My 87 Waggoneer had that goofy system where you had to run it with the cap off and so on while installing coolant. The 97 and 02 Grand Cherokee's do not need that, fill the Rad and the overflow.
post #15 of 22 Old 06-15-2021, 06:19 PM
skatulaki
2002 WJ 

That being said, back when I didn't understand the cooling system of the 87, I overheated it multiple times, before someone finally told me how to do it! It always ran fine afterwards!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in