WJ 4.0 Alternator Upgrade - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 08-09-2015, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
WJeep5
2004 WJ 

Wj WJ 4.0 Alternator Upgrade

I've seen the 160 Amp Upgrade for the 4.7, but not sure if it'll be a good fit for my 2004 WJ 4.0.

Anyone upgraded or know which alternators fit?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 08-09-2015, 07:35 PM
merdock69
2004 WJ 

Yes, its a good fit. The only consideration is that you have to undue the bolts and kind of roll it over out of the way to change the coil pack or spark plugs. Well worth the upgrade though.
post #3 of 32 Old 08-09-2015, 09:37 PM
Powellae
2000 WJ 

The question is whether you need the alternator capacity. If you don't, the car won't use it and there's no advantage in doing this. Have you added a lot of electronics that pull amperage? If not, why would you consider it?
2oldjeeps likes this.

post #4 of 32 Old 08-10-2015, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
WJeep5
2004 WJ 

I have (4) 130 Watt Daylighters that each pull around 11 Amps each.
post #5 of 32 Old 08-10-2015, 04:48 PM
alfaitalia

2004 WJ 

You won't notice that being pulled from a 130 amp alternator. Only about a third of its capacity and of course you have the battery to fall back on if load starts to get near alternator maximum. A good high capacity battery is probably more important to get that reserve...after all you don't drive with all the lights lit all the time (hopefully!) so the battery gets loads of driving time to recover. If I turn anything on I have 780 watts of forward lighting...about 65 amps worth....and that's before the other electrical loads like stereo etc. With nothing on my voltage meter reads dead on 14v.....with all the lights on it never drops below 13.5....or about 13 with the seat heaters. And of course I can't have my 100 watt spots and 240 watt light bar on with my brights when there is traffic coming the other way...so in reality it's rarely pulling that much load. So basically even with everything on the battery is still charging so the alt is coping. The Durango alternator "upgrade" seems like a bit of a waste of time to me. Spend your money on a good quality high capacity battery...so you will have power when you really need it, like a cold start in winter...no amount of alternator capacity will help you there!

Sent from the Dark Side (of the Pond) using only the Force.
2oldjeeps and edhammond71 like this.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got yourself an electrical problem!
post #6 of 32 Old 08-10-2015, 05:17 PM
merdock69
2004 WJ 

Our 40 amp electric fans create a much more substantial baseline load on our jeeps. One we add lights, etc... We can easily max out the 130 amp alternator with the fan on. Now if you have the hydraulic fan or mechanical only then yeah, your baseline current draw is pretty minimal.
post #7 of 32 Old 08-10-2015, 08:23 PM
MoonyJohn

2004 WJ 

How many amps is stock? It would be nice to have a bigger upgrade for people with winches and lights and stereo systems

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
post #8 of 32 Old 08-10-2015, 10:34 PM
Captain76
1999 WJ 

if your alternator is having issues/failing, then I would say upgrade to the 05 v8 durango 160 amp alternator just for the price break and possibility to use more amps if needed. I got a Duralast new alternator for $110 after 20% discount where the stock WJ 4.0 130 amp was $194. that alone is worth it, even if you don't use the extra right off the bat. and who knows, may come in handy down the road. with a lifetime guarantee, I will get a new one if anything ever happens to this one.

just some food for thought

if yours is fine, I say beef up your battery for now and then once the alternator goes out, then do the upgrade as well

..________,====,
/___|__|__\_____\__
|_---|__|__--[□]lllll[□]
(o)_)●)_).(o)_)●)_)
post #9 of 32 Old 08-11-2015, 08:34 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

+1 The Durango alt costs less than the Jeep spec alt. That alone is worth the swap.

"We have it totally under control. Itís one person coming in from China. We have it under control. Itís going to be just fine." ~D. Trump, Jan 22, 2020.
post #10 of 32 Old 08-11-2015, 08:38 AM
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain76 View Post
if your alternator is having issues/failing, then I would say upgrade to the 05 v8 durango 160 amp alternator just for the price break and possibility to use more amps if needed. I got a Duralast new alternator for $110 after 20% discount where the stock WJ 4.0 130 amp was $194. that alone is worth it, even if you don't use the extra right off the bat. and who knows, may come in handy down the road. with a lifetime guarantee, I will get a new one if anything ever happens to this one.

just some food for thought

if yours is fine, I say beef up your battery for now and then once the alternator goes out, then do the upgrade as well

Wow, I didn't realize there was such a price difference. Definitely worth the swap. I might look into it with my 4.0L, I thought it was only a 4.7L thing.

Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 32 Old 08-11-2015, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
WJeep5
2004 WJ 

Put in the Durango 160 Amp Alt yesterday. Perfect fit. Like others have said, the bracket is in the way of the coil pack/spark plugs - so change those out while you have the alt out.
post #12 of 32 Old 08-12-2015, 07:58 AM
Jeeples
Harsh, but fair

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
+1 The Durango alt costs less than the Jeep spec alt. That alone is worth the swap.
+2

It was about a $60 difference between the two when I bought mine last year. The only modification I had to make was to the cable that leads from the alternator to the battery. The stud on the Durango alternator was a bit bigger than the old one, so I had to open up the hole in the cable lug to fit.

Aside from that, being that my WJ has the factory electric fan, I've noticed less of a dip in RPMs when the fan kicks on or increases in speed when sitting at an idle.

Gone:
'00 Limited
'03 Laredo

Current

'14 Overland EcoDiesel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Old Jeeps never die, they just fade away.
post #13 of 32 Old 08-24-2015, 08:52 PM
Tytybooey

2002 WJ 

Garage
Anyone have a recommendation for which type of 160 amp alternator to get? I see the 05 Dodge Durango V8 one, but does anyone suggest a specific brand and make?
post #14 of 32 Old 08-25-2015, 05:44 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

My feeling is that whatever the parts store has is going to give at least 6 years of service. Match up your year with the Durango's just to be sure it will fit.

"We have it totally under control. Itís one person coming in from China. We have it under control. Itís going to be just fine." ~D. Trump, Jan 22, 2020.
post #15 of 32 Old 08-25-2015, 08:42 PM
Captain76
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytybooey View Post
Anyone have a recommendation for which type of 160 amp alternator to get? I see the 05 Dodge Durango V8 one, but does anyone suggest a specific brand and make?
I got the Autozone Duralast Gold(new) alternator for an 05 durango v8. it has a lifetime warranty so if it ever does fail I get a free replacement, so hopefully last alternator I will have had to buy.

AL CJ Jeeper likes this.

..________,====,
/___|__|__\_____\__
|_---|__|__--[□]lllll[□]
(o)_)●)_).(o)_)●)_)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in