3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 33 Old 10-14-2021, 08:46 AM
Mr. Bitey

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soem0 View Post
I just went and looked at my rad and mine also doesn't have this plug
My most recent has the hydraulic fan as well. I am wondering if this plug is the result of someone trying to mitigate a cracked neck by drilling the crack out and twisting a plug in. Although of the 3 WJ radiators I have replaced, they all cracked on the upper outlet to the block....

2004 WJ, 4.7 N, daily driver.
1967 Jeep J100 panel truck (a-rusted development)
1970 'Cuda, 340 4bbl (10.952et @ 123mph)
1972 Dart Swinger, Gen III 6.4l Hemi (in progress)
1974 AMC Gremlin X, 440 6bbl (trailer queen, 9.466et @ 144mph)
1975 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2-door (in progress)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 Old 10-14-2021, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Rylxmp
2003 WJ 

Ill see if I can upload a picture of the plug. The only thing that scares me about changing the radiator is all of the lines going to it like the coolers. Did you guys wrap your transmission cooler lines in Teflon tape when reinstalling or did you just tighten it a lot ? I also am wondering what is the best replacement radiator out there thats a good price. I have the hydro fan, transmission cooler and powersteering cooler lines on my radiator.
post #18 of 33 Old 10-14-2021, 10:19 AM
Mr. Bitey

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylxmp View Post
Did you guys wrap your transmission cooler lines in Teflon tape when reinstalling or did you just tighten it a lot ? I also am wondering what is the best replacement radiator out there thats a good price..
The trans and power steering lines do not need Teflon. They are compression fittings. They take 2 wrenches to remove/install so when you tighten/loosen the compression nut the fitting in the core doesn't twist with it. You'll find plenty of videos on YouTube.

I'm sure the masses will recommend against, as aftermarket radiators have a poor record with WJ's, but this last time I used an el-cheap-o radiator from Amazon for $66. 18mo and 20k+ miles and I haven't had an issue. That, of course, is not to say I won't have an issue and curse my decision. I do have a history of screwing future me.

A few things I would note that may not be covered by a video. Be sure and use coolant with HOAT, as our cooling systems can corrode with the wrong coolant. Be sure and use Mopar power steering fluid or an equivalent that meets the Chrysler MS-5931 standard. The wrong fluid will often foam, and burn out your steering pump in as short as a couple months. Finally note your PS pump will complain quite a bit when you start her back up until the system is purged of air. Turning lock to lock a dozen or so times then a gentle drive will clear most of it, but I have seen it complain for a day or 2. When I replaced my PS pump a couple months ago, I got sick of the lock to lock purging and just drove it. Once again, screw future me. When turning lock to lock, some guys like to jack the front wheels off the ground - and technically, they say NEAR lock to lock - your not supposed to hit the locks when purging.

post #19 of 33 Old 10-14-2021, 10:38 AM
Soem0

Quote:
Ill see if I can upload a picture of the plug. The only thing that scares me about changing the radiator is all of the lines going to it like the coolers. Did you guys wrap your transmission cooler lines in Teflon tape when reinstalling or did you just tighten it a lot ? I also am wondering what is the best replacement radiator out there thats a good price. I have the hydro fan, transmission cooler and powersteering cooler lines on my radiator.
I did use teflon on the lines. I got a mishimoto radiator and a bunch of the reviews said they leaked. I put teflon on and not a single drop. Price wasn't terrible I think I paid 160 on Amazon with prime. Got it 3 days early too
post #20 of 33 Old 10-14-2021, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Rylxmp
2003 WJ 

I found one called crown automotive thats going for $242. This will be my first time ever replacing a radiator . Is there anymore tips that you guys have that would be helpful when doing the repair?. So far I've heard; make sure to color code the trans cooler lines with colored zip ties, dont lay the hydro fan flat, make sure to save the little metal brackets on the old radiator and buy new o rings for the ps lines as they could break when replacing. I appreciate all the helps from you guys.
post #21 of 33 Old 10-14-2021, 11:06 AM
Soem0

I would get the mishimoto for much cheaper. Also don't forget to get the bushings from the old one and put them on. I am speaking of the ones on the bottom 2 posts that go into the lower support
post #22 of 33 Old 10-14-2021, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Rylxmp
2003 WJ 

I was going to go for the mishimoto one you recommended but they're out of stock. I might wait until they get some more and then go for it. Also do you know where to get the tiny hose that connects to the radiator cap which I think goes to the overflow tank ? That hose is seeping aswell
post #23 of 33 Old 10-14-2021, 12:38 PM
Soem0

I think it's 3/8 hose. You can get it from oreilly's or your favorite parts place I'm sure
post #24 of 33 Old 10-14-2021, 12:39 PM
Mr. Bitey

2004 WJ 

If there is a core, pay it vs bringing in the old one. Like others have mentioned, there is some pieces your new one won't come with. Once you are up and running, THEN take/send the old one back for a core refund.

Give yourself plenty of time. Quitting early and picking it up again tomorrow is better than staying up until 1a on a work night. A rushed job leads to mistakes. That applies to any "new to you" job, in my book. But realistically, if you do some wrenching already and watch a few videos, you can probably have it done in 3-5hrs. Some guys have you tear the whole front of the Jeep off - I saw one where the guy even has you take the bumper cover off. This guy right here has it nailed, with minimal tear down:

post #25 of 33 Old 10-14-2021, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Rylxmp
2003 WJ 

Thats the video I saw awsell. His video makes it look much easier when compared to the first ones I saw where they removed the whole front of the jeep including headlights and other things. Would you recommend me also changing out the water pump while the radiator is out ? I think the water pump is fine but it is still the oem pump so its got some age to it now.
post #26 of 33 Old 10-14-2021, 02:38 PM
Soem0

I am the type that would replace a ton of stuff while I was at it, but that's me. Personally I would end up with radiator, thermostat, hoses, belt, water pump, alternator, power steering pump and who knows what else lol
post #27 of 33 Old 10-14-2021, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Rylxmp
2003 WJ 

One more question guys. Is it normal for the coolant in the expansion tank to rise like a inch or 2 when the vehicle is at operating temp. The coolant then goes back to its regular level after its cool again. I know coolant expands when hot but im jw.
post #28 of 33 Old 10-14-2021, 03:07 PM
Soem0

It will probably rise a little due to pressure in the system
post #29 of 33 Old 10-15-2021, 06:28 AM
Mr. Bitey

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soem0 View Post
I am the type that would replace a ton of stuff while I was at it
Ditto on this. Like I said earlier, you may never have this much access to the front of your engine again. While all of it can be replaced without removing the radiator, having all that extra room sure is nice. I'd throw as much at as you can afford. But like Soem0, that's just me....

Quote:
Is it normal for the coolant in the expansion tank to rise like a inch or 2 when the vehicle is at operating temp..
Rise and fall is definitely normal, but I can't say I ever noticed how much mine rises....

post #30 of 33 Old 10-18-2021, 11:31 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Wish I had seen this thread sooner...I know about that Allen head plug. My first replacement radiator was from Performance Radiator and it had that design. It began to weep on me as well. I found a bolt head that fit into it and gave it a turn to loose to find it was a threaded plug. Gave it a turn to more tight than it started in and problem was solved.
Mr. Bitey likes this.

"We have it totally under control. Itís one person coming in from China. We have it under control. Itís going to be just fine." ~D. Trump, Jan 22, 2020.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in