Wheel size and offset confusion - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-07-2018, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Redmanspecial

Garage
Wheel size and offset confusion

I have scoured the forums here and found some help but not enough to clear my head. I have a 2003 Wj Overland and wish to install a 3" lift. I have done hours of research on my factory backspacing, offset, and tire and wheel size and marked them onto paper trying to visualize how much offset I would need if I put on an 8" wide wheel and slightly larger tire in order to avoid rubbing at wheel lock. I have gone out to my jeep and put a ruler up to my wheels with my paper trying to figure everything out and have scoured the internet for appropriately sized wheels and tires and I think my learning disabled brain is about to explode. My factory specs are as follows: 235/65/r17 tires, 7.5" wide wheels with 6.25" backspacing and +50.8 offset and they sit roughly about an inch inside the fender. I would like an 8" wide wheel with enough offset to accommodate a larger tire width and to give a meaner stance, possibly an inch outside the fender. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-08-2018, 06:04 AM
Dacaur

2006 WK 

You arent going to get it to sit outside the fender and also have no rubbing when you turn the wheels. The further out it sits, the more its going to rub. I have a 2.5" lift, 265/70/17 (32x10.5) on stock alloy wrangler wheels, so they sit inside the fenders, and I had to trim the front bumper. Going to a wheel with less backspacing to get the wheel outside the fenders would have required WAY more trimming... You would also run into the issue of the rear tires eating the fenders on full flex if you go with less than stock backspacing. with stock backspacing they go inside the fenders when you flex. I would need at least a 4.5" lift to keep them from hitting my rear fenders if i went with a wheel with less backspacing.
If you must have new wheels, I would just look for some wrangler wheels.

06 WK Limited, 4.7, 2"lift 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
Past jeeps: 03WJ, 99WJ, 99XJ, 92YJ, 92XJ, 85XJ.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-08-2018, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Redmanspecial

Garage
So my best bet would to not worry about new wheels for something like a 3" lift?

post #4 of 8 Old 08-09-2018, 05:18 AM
Dacaur

2006 WK 

In my opinion, yes. Though it doesn't look as cool, mechanically, its smart to keep stock backspacing so the tires are able to tuck inside the fenders.

06 WK Limited, 4.7, 2"lift 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
Past jeeps: 03WJ, 99WJ, 99XJ, 92YJ, 92XJ, 85XJ.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-09-2018, 10:22 AM
greerkid1989

Hey Redman,

I went partial-send with a 4.5'' with a 1 inch spacer in the front(heavy front bumper & equipment), and a 3.5 inch lift in the rear. I currently run a 285/70/17 GY DuraTrac, with Mickey Thompson classics with a -12 offset, no rub a full lock. I do have to note, I have all adjustable control arms in the front so I pushed the axle forward an inch. - let me know if you want pics of fitment.

Previous to this set up, I ran a 265/65/17 General Grabber AT2 with stock JK Moab wheels, and no lift. It looked REEALLY nice. Only downside was that the transmission got finicky. - let me know if you want pics of fitment.

If it were me.. with a 3 inch lift, I'd go a 255/75/17 with a positive offset. (+40 to +25) - if you don't like the look.. don't sue me it's just my $0.02 (worth $27 and change). Heed my suggestion. If you're going to go through the trouble of replacing suspension components I'd suggest the following:

1. Replace ball joints(all of 'em)
2. replace front axle bushings(all of 'em)
3. Replace front tie rod & drag link as well as the tie rod ends.
4. Replace control arms (go with adjustable short arms, they're worth their weight in gold)
5. Drink a few beers while wrenching - I'd highly recommend some freedom fluid. Helps to dull the soreness.

The only reason i suggest replacing all these items is your car's ticker is ~15 years old So the rubber pieces are most likely worn out, and as soon as you change all of that steering geometry, you're gonna death wobble, and I don't wish that on anyone.

Hope this helps.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-09-2018, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Redmanspecial

Garage
Thanks alot for the input. I'm more or less a noob when it comes to lifts and upgrading. This will be my first and i'm out to learn all I can to make sure I do it right.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-12-2018, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Redmanspecial

Garage
Sure, any pics would help me with reference.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-17-2018, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Redmanspecial

Garage
Sure. Any pics will help with reference

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in