What mod are you guys recommending for my jeep? - JeepForum.com
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 08-12-2020, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
xxxzodiac

What mod are you guys recommending for my jeep?

So my wife and I got my first ever Jeep a 2000 Grand Cherokee laredo 4.7. It is currently stock. We have a supercharged and Lifted 2500HD on 40's and Tahoe on 38's.

My wife wants the jeep lifted and bigger tires and mostly streetable as a daily driver. I don't want to do major mod like putting 2-1/2 ton axles under it or a engine swap with a LS570 motor in it (at lest not now; thats for the 2500HD.

What mod are you guys recommending for the jeep?

It is blowing a bit of blue smoke on go from stop so I might rebuild the engine and drop a cam in it or something.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-12-2020, 03:50 PM
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
A flux capacitor is the only mod you'll need.......
post #3 of 22 Old 08-12-2020, 04:22 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Shop local and buy American.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

post #4 of 22 Old 08-12-2020, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
xxxzodiac

Been there done that.. The past is just as screwed up as the present and the futures is just as screwed up as today.

BTW look out for the bright green Wrangler he cuts you off and runs you into the ditch and you die. sorry I cant remember when.
post #5 of 22 Old 08-12-2020, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
xxxzodiac

Been there done that.. The past is just as screwed up as the present and the futures is just as screwed up as today.

BTW look out for the bright green Wrangler he cuts you off and runs you into the ditch and you die. sorry I cant remember when.
post #6 of 22 Old 08-12-2020, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
xxxzodiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
Shop local and buy American.

post #7 of 22 Old 08-12-2020, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
xxxzodiac

lovely I cant edit delete comments.. JFC.
post #8 of 22 Old 08-12-2020, 07:50 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Gotta get a few more posts for editing....

These Jeeps are not very happy with big lifts and tires...I came here from a full size Blazer with 37's and one tonnes. But I knew going in that i wasnt going to get near that if i really wanted a DAILY WJ. I currently have 32's and a 4" lift on this Jeep and love it. I dont know that going much bigger would be very advantageous, so i will leave it for now. It drives great and it wheels really well so far. Its no fullsize with 40's, but to me thats OK right now. My recommendation is to start small and work up in small increments. But make a plan to keep it minimal, or you might not be happy with how it drives....
coldspit47 and DJCantonGA like this.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #9 of 22 Old 08-12-2020, 10:31 PM
coldspit47
2004 WJ 

^listen to bigrigr, he'll set you straight. I'm at 3in and while I enjoy the thought of an 8in long arm setup and mud tires, I really don't know that I'd be happy with higher (or the effort required to do so). WJs also are comparatively more expensive than their Wrangler cousins, so unless you have a bottomless budget, keep it around 3-4" and 32s. If you go with adjustable parts (a-arm, control arms, trackbar, etc) from the get-go, you leave yourself with much more flexibility in the future, though.

JEEP. making mechanics out of ordinary folks since 1940.
post #10 of 22 Old 08-12-2020, 10:50 PM
speednjay

I’m happy with my lil 1.5” lift. But I would recommend whatever lift you get you should get the big *** rear sway bar added. Made the Jeep behave a million times more stable
post #11 of 22 Old 08-13-2020, 10:46 AM
smokeyyank

General maintenance and all the other random sh*t that goes weird......

If you do want to lift, 3" lift and 32's is a solid setup. Going bigger than that (35s) on these is just a PITA and get to be expensive. As for the engine you can try to find a HO cam and such give you a little boost. 4.7 has plenty of torque.

04 WJ, 4.7HO
3" IRO lift, fastman TB, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" exhaust
post #12 of 22 Old 08-13-2020, 11:50 AM
BlueOffroader

Garage
I grabbed an 02 WJ 4.7L HO Quadra Drive for major off roading and daily driver. I went with 4" IRO and IRO A-ARM kit. 32" BFGs. Love driving it in the city and off roading. I've been reading here all the time that 3" is enough. Got the JCR Sliders, HK Offroad front tow hook, Addco Sway Bar, Headlights from Amazon. Need to build rear tire carrier and find CB Radio taillight mount...
post #13 of 22 Old 08-13-2020, 12:54 PM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOffroader View Post
I grabbed an 02 WJ 4.7L HO Quadra Drive for major off roading and daily driver. I went with 4" IRO and IRO A-ARM kit. 32" BFGs. Love driving it in the city and off roading. I've been reading here all the time that 3" is enough. Got the JCR Sliders, HK Offroad front tow hook, Addco Sway Bar, Headlights from Amazon. Need to build rear tire carrier and find CB Radio taillight mount...

When you find one of those tail light whip mounts, let me know because I want two of them. Funny thing is that I think they are little more than a bent piece of metal with a hole in each end, should probably just cut a piece of metal and do it myself ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift
post #14 of 22 Old 08-13-2020, 05:04 PM
UKXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
" WJs also are comparatively more expensive than their Wrangler cousins . . . " Really! Where? One reason I got a WJ was they're now the sort of money XJ's were 'til about a year ago - although you pay a premium for a V8. TJ's start at 3 or 4 times that, you might get YJ for £1,000 less - but I didn't pay much more than that for the WJ!
LongboardLiam likes this.
post #15 of 22 Old 08-13-2020, 09:13 PM
coldspit47
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKXJ View Post
" WJs also are comparatively more expensive than their Wrangler cousins . . . " Really! Where? One reason I got a WJ was they're now the sort of money XJ's were 'til about a year ago - although you pay a premium for a V8. TJ's start at 3 or 4 times that, you might get YJ for £1,000 less - but I didn't pay much more than that for the WJ!
More expensive to mod*. That's what this thread was about. Comparing apples to apples, same manufacturers, same lift heights, etc, WJ costs more. IRO 3" benchmark kit $489 TJ vs $839 WJ. Affordable Offroad bumper SET for TJ $510, front WJ bumper only $605.

JEEP. making mechanics out of ordinary folks since 1940.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in