4570Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #50161 of 50960 Old 12-05-2020, 10:19 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDee63 View Post
And the hits keep coming... Went to start it this morning, did a strange backfire sound. Tried again and it started, running on what sounded like 6 cylinders with a strong gas smell. Would not idle, barely ran at all with no bad mechanical sounds. Popped the pass side cam cover, all looked fine. Pulled the drivers side to get the cams all lined up to check for a timing issue, I noticed the rocker for number 1 intake is not in place. Strange I thought, the solid lash adjusters should have prevented that particularly seeing it has run quiet since I put them in. When I went to put it back in to check the clearance is when I realized the valve stem was lower than the rest, the rocker just fell in place and fell back out. Unbelievable, a dropped seat on a remanned head less than 18 months old. A call to Clearwater Cylinder Head where I got them ended with me being told I was the problem and it would not be covered under warranty. When I informed the man I was told the seats would be staked as not to have this problem I was hung up on. Good thing for him I don't live in FL, there would be a nice news report about now. I called another place and was informed CCH was famous in the industry for pulling this kind of thing, the BBB reviews and many others confirm this. I was given a good deal by a place in Texas, Cylinder Head International, because of my ordeal with the other clowns. It will ship tomorrow I hope. I will be going down to FL in spring to visit the parents, maybe I go visit CCH and return the bad head... just like the old lady in the Discount Tire commercials does.
So long story, what I did to my Jeep today was start pulling drivers cylinder head and trying at moment to figure out a way to pull it without pulling the timing cover.
That's terrible @CDEE and I remember on here when you replaced those heads. In fact I was going to recommend the vendor where you bought those heads since you got a good price but glad I didn't.

Believe I'd be filing a complaint with the Florida Attorney General's Office on consumer protection and below is the online 'Consumer Complaint Form'.

http://myfloridalegal.com/Contact.ns...ction_Division

While some shady businesses could care less about bad reviews or complaints to the BBB most don't like to be in bad graces with the state government where they reside.

Granted you're going with other reman heads but you may be able to get some money back if not all of it from Clearwater Cylinder Head. Just a suggestion and good luck.

cDee63 likes this.

2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 ZJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #50162 of 50960 Old 12-05-2020, 01:46 PM
UKXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Location: The Smoke, The English Riviera - or somewhere in between
Garage
Sound advice - go for it!
post #50163 of 50960 Old 12-05-2020, 02:13 PM
UKXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Passed 126,000 miles, so time for 1st oil & filter change (in my ownership). Spent ages on-line trying to find filters at a sensible price. Ended up ordering 4, to get the discount which, of course, was stupid 'cos this WJ is unlikely to reach another change, never mind 3 after that - & I certainly won't be getting another.

Confirmed I definitely have a serious brake fluid loss, which is a bit of a puzzle, as I took it in for inspection the weekend (& only a couple of miles) after finishing a major brake job - & they didn't find any leaks, & the brakes are unaffected.

Suspect temp. gauge sender now because it went into the red in the time it took me to park, peer under the hood for signs of anything amiss, decide there wasn't & walk back to turn the engine off, by which time the needle was already starting to drop again. Wasn't able to check if the level in the rad had dropped (last couple of times, after about 70 miles it took 1/2 a quart) because by time it would've cooled down enough, it was raining too hard.

post #50164 of 50960 Old 12-05-2020, 11:22 PM
Klarah523

2000 WJ 

Garage
The Californa dual-cat assembly is Very Expensive.

It's now a Magnaflow, though.

2000 WJ (Laredo w/ 4.0L) =|||||||=
post #50165 of 50960 Old 12-06-2020, 12:56 PM
UKXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Topped off rad. best guess is it took 2 or 3 quarts - so that's worrying - but ran it up to temp. let it cool added another 1/2-quart or so.

2 things I don't understand: rad is full to top of filler neck before any appears in the bleed hole, I have to squeeze the top hose to achieve that - & the level in the reservoir remains constant regardless of temp. or level in the rad.

While I was waiting for engine to get up to operating temp, stuck the glass back in the left door mirror, as it fell off again yesterday (tedious, but least of my problems)
post #50166 of 50960 Old 12-06-2020, 06:08 PM
Wabatuckian

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKXJ View Post
Topped off rad. best guess is it took 2 or 3 quarts - so that's worrying - but ran it up to temp. let it cool added another 1/2-quart or so.

2 things I don't understand: rad is full to top of filler neck before any appears in the bleed hole, I have to squeeze the top hose to achieve that - & the level in the reservoir remains constant regardless of temp. or level in the rad.

While I was waiting for engine to get up to operating temp, stuck the glass back in the left door mirror, as it fell off again yesterday (tedious, but least of my problems)
You have a leak that's letting coolant out/air in, instead of letting the reservoir do its job.

Josh
post #50167 of 50960 Old 12-07-2020, 09:03 AM
AdmiralSavage

2002 WJ 

Garage
Did this a couple of days ago, I patched the driver seat and added foam, then I put seat covers on all the seats. Really made a huge difference!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-20201116-WA0008_1607356936806.jpg   IMG-20201116-WA0014_1607356958037.jpg   20201129_130153_1607356978415.jpg  
post #50168 of 50960 Old 12-07-2020, 01:59 PM
CraigMBAx

Garage
Started it up, and the tiniest of missfires, and was like "what".

Took the oil camp off and found a bunch of gunk that wasn't there before. Smells like coolant.

Hello Mr Headgasket. How do you do.

1999 WJ Limted - Ex Soccer Mom ride turned Rule 25 Compliant Bike Hauler
post #50169 of 50960 Old 12-07-2020, 02:09 PM
UKXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabatuckian View Post
You have a leak that's letting coolant out/air in, instead of letting the reservoir do its job.

Josh
In which case (& I can think of no other explanation) it's internal, so I'm not going to agonise over it too much but there's just so much about the symptoms I simply don't understand, like why a leak stops the reservoir doing its job, after all water can't flow from it to the rad. as the engine cools, if they're both full, as they're supposed to be.
post #50170 of 50960 Old 12-07-2020, 02:46 PM
Doodlestang
2004 WJ 

What brand seat covers are those?
post #50171 of 50960 Old 12-07-2020, 04:52 PM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigMBAx View Post
Started it up, and the tiniest of missfires, and was like "what".

Took the oil camp off and found a bunch of gunk that wasn't there before. Smells like coolant.

Hello Mr Headgasket. How do you do.
That sux! Exactly how I discovered my hd gasket leak, slight misfire on start and coolant smell. When I pulled plugs I found this, nice green electrode is a sure give away of a leak and the wrong coolant being used, at least on a 4.7.
Attached Thumbnails
333.jpg  
Highdesertrider likes this.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag
post #50172 of 50960 Old 12-07-2020, 05:10 PM
CraigMBAx

Garage
Quote:
That sux! Exactly how I discovered my hd gasket leak, slight misfire on start and coolant smell. When I pulled plugs I found this, nice green electrode is a sure give away of a leak and the wrong coolant being used, at least on a 4.7.
It's okay. This isn't my first rodeo rebuilding a 20 year old vehicle.

A buddy of mine is the best engine machinist in the area and he told me usually when he sees these engines they've dropped a seat and it's grenaded, he said if I fix the seats the engine is good to 400K. I got supremely lucky I caught it within fifteen seconds of startup. No hard parts are hurt here.

Now I'll know the timing chain guides are fresh and I won't be waiting for the valve seat to drop.
Klarah523 likes this.

post #50173 of 50960 Old 12-08-2020, 07:26 AM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
I drove all winter with the gasket leak, it was pretty small. I found about a teaspoon of coolant in #4 when I pulled the head. My remanned heads lasted all of 12,000 miles when the intake seat dropped on #1, it has never overheated or even run hotter than normal. Luckily it dropped on start up and didn't trash the piston, the seat is still hung around the head of the valve.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag
post #50174 of 50960 Old 12-08-2020, 07:17 PM
wranglertec

Ordered IRO 3 inch foundation lift kit from Kolok. Happy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Highdesertrider, WJ60 and GriffLvr like this.
post #50175 of 50960 Old 12-09-2020, 12:24 AM
CraigMBAx

Garage
Quote:
I drove all winter with the gasket leak, it was pretty small. I found about a teaspoon of coolant in #4 when I pulled the head. My remanned heads lasted all of 12,000 miles when the intake seat dropped on #1, it has never overheated or even run hotter than normal. Luckily it dropped on start up and didn't trash the piston, the seat is still hung around the head of the valve.
I'm not gambling on this. Plus I have coolant in the crankcase. It's coming apart before I hurt any new parts.

Machine work is not easy to find in California, much less competent machine work. I trust my machinist. He says it'll live if I haven't hurt it and I haven't hurt it. Yet.

It's a thousand bucks to redo the heads with new intake seats plus another $400 for timing chains and guides and gaskets and whatnot. With me doing the labor.

What else did I have to do in a pandemic?
Highdesertrider likes this.

Tags
wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in