LinkBack Thread Tools
post #50146 of 50922 Old 11-30-2020, 01:35 PM
GmanWJ
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKXJ View Post
Very similar to my experience - & a month later, still can't refit the boot to the edge of the door.

Pull the white collar out of the door. Wrap boot around collar. Push collar back into door until it kinda sorta clicks into place.

97Mule likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2.5" OME HD & Bilsteins
Dual Batteries
Aux Trailer Hookups (4awg charging & backup cam)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #50147 of 50922 Old 11-30-2020, 03:01 PM
62JEEP

2003 WJ 

Oil Filler neck elbow and other plastic repairs

Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of cracked plastic, including a split and leaking rocker cover on my V8. The passenger side cover was relatively easy last year - the driver's side is horrible (mine's a RHD) and had to use a 10mm socket on a hex key to access the bolts up by the firewall.
So, one piece of split plastic replaced. BUT, moving everything out of the way to replace that cover and the valve elbow on my oil filler neck decided to snap. The fix is some JB Weld and the plastic cover off a 60A in-line blade fuse holder. Bit of trimming to the plastic cover, fill it u with the epoxy, and allow to set over night. Pretty tidy fix, cheap, and possible more durable than the original. THEN, I discovered cracks all around the the plastic 'T-piece' that connects the cylinder head vacuum lines to the air inlet. Replaced that with brass. 62JEEP's plastic parts are increasingly held together with plastic glue - and now JB Weld.
Oh, and whilst in there, decided to wash the air manifold plenum and fit new ECT and camshaft position sensor.
Attached Images

post #50148 of 50922 Old 11-30-2020, 03:18 PM
Soem0

Cut this junk off the jeep. Gotta make these fit

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
underscore, GmanWJ, cDee63 and 1 others like this.

post #50149 of 50922 Old 12-01-2020, 10:33 AM
bluepen61
2004 WJ 

Garage
Received a new crossmember to replace this slightly rusted one.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
underscore likes this.

bluepen61
2004 WJ Limited
2015 WK2 Limited
post #50150 of 50922 Old 12-01-2020, 12:39 PM
UKXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Location: The Smoke, The English Riviera - or somewhere in between
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanWJ View Post
Pull the white collar out of the door. Wrap boot around collar. Push collar back into door until it kinda sorta clicks into place.
OK, thanks, I'll try that, although that collar's already hanging out of the door - & have doubts about it coming out in one piece (still what have I got to lose?)
post #50151 of 50922 Old 12-01-2020, 06:33 PM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepen61 View Post
Received a new crossmember to replace this slightly rusted one.

Little Flex Seal will fix that no problem!
bluepen61, 99sajeep, UKXJ and 2 others like this.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag
post #50152 of 50922 Old 12-01-2020, 06:40 PM
bluepen61
2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cDee63 View Post
Little Flex Seal will fix that no problem!
Maybe it will buff out.

99sajeep, underscore and cDee63 like this.

bluepen61
2004 WJ Limited
2015 WK2 Limited
post #50153 of 50922 Old 12-03-2020, 11:31 AM
X-Hibition

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKXJ View Post
& there, I think we'll have to agree to differ.
Hey UK, how about this as a solution to radiator protection?

https://trailforged.com/product/wj-h...t-replacement/

I saw the web-site on a different post and was surprised to see this product.

1999 Jeep WJ currently sporting four Yakima bars with many accessories...
post #50154 of 50922 Old 12-03-2020, 12:43 PM
UKXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Location: The Smoke, The English Riviera - or somewhere in between
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Hibition View Post
Hey UK, how about this as a solution to radiator protection?

https://trailforged.com/product/wj-h...t-replacement/

I saw the web-site on a different post and was surprised to see this product.
Interesting - & I'm surprised too because didn't I read just recently Trailforged didn't do WJ stuff?

Looks like something I could bring back in my luggage from my next visit - by which time I might've learned to weld. Thanks for the thought.
post #50155 of 50922 Old 12-03-2020, 12:54 PM
Soem0

Trailforged made their name on wj stuff

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
post #50156 of 50922 Old 12-03-2020, 03:59 PM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
And the hits keep coming... Went to start it this morning, did a strange backfire sound. Tried again and it started, running on what sounded like 6 cylinders with a strong gas smell. Would not idle, barely ran at all with no bad mechanical sounds. Popped the pass side cam cover, all looked fine. Pulled the drivers side to get the cams all lined up to check for a timing issue, I noticed the rocker for number 1 intake is not in place. Strange I thought, the solid lash adjusters should have prevented that particularly seeing it has run quiet since I put them in. When I went to put it back in to check the clearance is when I realized the valve stem was lower than the rest, the rocker just fell in place and fell back out. Unbelievable, a dropped seat on a remanned head less than 18 months old. A call to Clearwater Cylinder Head where I got them ended with me being told I was the problem and it would not be covered under warranty. When I informed the man I was told the seats would be staked as not to have this problem I was hung up on. Good thing for him I don't live in FL, there would be a nice news report about now. I called another place and was informed CCH was famous in the industry for pulling this kind of thing, the BBB reviews and many others confirm this. I was given a good deal by a place in Texas, Cylinder Head International, because of my ordeal with the other clowns. It will ship tomorrow I hope. I will be going down to FL in spring to visit the parents, maybe I go visit CCH and return the bad head... just like the old lady in the Discount Tire commercials does.
So long story, what I did to my Jeep today was start pulling drivers cylinder head and trying at moment to figure out a way to pull it without pulling the timing cover.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag
post #50157 of 50922 Old 12-03-2020, 05:04 PM
SD Overland

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cDee63 View Post
And the hits keep coming... Went to start it this morning, did a strange backfire sound. Tried again and it started, running on what sounded like 6 cylinders with a strong gas smell. Would not idle, barely ran at all with no bad mechanical sounds. Popped the pass side cam cover, all looked fine. Pulled the drivers side to get the cams all lined up to check for a timing issue, I noticed the rocker for number 1 intake is not in place. Strange I thought, the solid lash adjusters should have prevented that particularly seeing it has run quiet since I put them in. When I went to put it back in to check the clearance is when I realized the valve stem was lower than the rest, the rocker just fell in place and fell back out. Unbelievable, a dropped seat on a remanned head less than 18 months old. A call to Clearwater Cylinder Head where I got them ended with me being told I was the problem and it would not be covered under warranty. When I informed the man I was told the seats would be staked as not to have this problem I was hung up on. Good thing for him I don't live in FL, there would be a nice news report about now. I called another place and was informed CCH was famous in the industry for pulling this kind of thing, the BBB reviews and many others confirm this. I was given a good deal by a place in Texas, Cylinder Head International, because of my ordeal with the other clowns. It will ship tomorrow I hope. I will be going down to FL in spring to visit the parents, maybe I go visit CCH and return the bad head... just like the old lady in the Discount Tire commercials does.
So long story, what I did to my Jeep today was start pulling drivers cylinder head and trying at moment to figure out a way to pull it without pulling the timing cover.
Oof, I cannot even begin to say how much that sucks. I would bring that sucker in, drop it on their counter, and demand a refund. Failing that, it would go through their front window.

2004 WJ Overland 4.7 HO, Quadradrive, Onyx Green Pearl Coat
IRO Rock-Link 3'' front, HD short arms rear, Billstein 5100's
265-70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3, Spidertrax 1.5'' wheel spacers
post #50158 of 50922 Old 12-03-2020, 08:21 PM
bugeyez
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Overland View Post
I'm still trying to find one for the rear, but the silly Dana 44a is too much of a special snowflake for ARB to make one.
Got that right! HOURS searching for the stupid thing. Even ordered the wrong Rugged Ridge 44 cover before I realized it's so special!

I really liked the DV8 product line and reached out to them to see if they'd do one, and didn't hear much.. guy said he'd fwd to r&d. whatever. I bet if they did a WJ Front/Rear set they'd sell great! EDIT: I did come across this one at one point, but not biting on that price.

Meanwhile, I bought a Mopar replacement that has a fill plug, picked up a can of krinkle paint, and went to town. Might do the same w front after I finish 14 other projects on this thing!

I just finished putting it on tonight! Filling it up with the same RL and Mopar additive tomorrow!
Attached Images

Last edited by bugeyez; 12-03-2020 at 08:39 PM. Reason: .
post #50159 of 50922 Old 12-04-2020, 04:58 AM
mak_v8

2002 WJ 

@bugeyez ,
a couple of pictures of my "restored" diff covers:
D44a

D30

Better than brand new....

Grand Cherokee WJ 4.7 V8 HO. m.y. 2002
post #50160 of 50922 Old 12-04-2020, 04:24 PM
LelandGray
2001 WJ 

Finally got around to rebuilding the bottom end. Pulled out the old crank, journal #8 was missing almost a fill 1mm of metal as compared to the rest. Turns out my buddy just got done rebuilding his Durango and had a spare crankshaft from a good donor. Double checked all the surfaces, and started putting it back together. Just need to throw the bed plate back on and then start putting all the accessories back on.
bluepen61, cDee63 and WJ60 like this.

2001 WJ Limited w/ QuadraDrive
Bilstein 5125's
jgcparts 2.5"/2" BB
JK take offs & 265/75R17's

Tags
wj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in