weak varilok operation - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-15-2019, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
97jeepxj1
2004 WJ 

weak varilok operation

I've noticed that while my rear varilok seems to work awesome when tested (rear in the air spin one tire other goes other way for a second then stiffens up to where i can barely turn) my front end on the other hand seems pretty weak in comparison. It still works but instead of the opposite tire changing direction it just kind of stops and hangs out. It will try to turn it but really it just kind of rocks a little bit. Guess i could make a video to better explain. Anyways like i said the front isn't nearly as stiff or strong. I did change fluid in both ends and added 2.5 oz of the modifier in the front anbd 4 in the rear when i got it back in june. I checked the fluid level and it was still good so it doesn't appear to be leaking. I however can't remember now if the oil i used had the premix in it for LS diffs but would think if it did it would have affected the rear also.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-15-2019, 09:26 AM
LuthWJ77

Garage
what about in an actual driving condition? can you get it on something slippery and see if it grabs then? Maybe needs more revolutions to build enough pressure? Try changing fluids again or could be that thingamabob that makes the vari lok work is going out. My understanding is there is no rebuild kits for those unfortunately.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-15-2019, 09:52 AM
Photoweborama

1999 WJ 

Well I donít know much, but I do know the rear is a 40 series and the front is a 30. Itís a lighter axle so itís going to react different.

I love Quadra Drive and use it over 4WD most of the time.
Only driving tests will tell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #4 of 7 Old 04-15-2019, 10:28 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

You likely have the same quadra-drive like I do in my 04 4.7 with vari-lok axles and 247 transfer case. If you changed the axle fluids and added the correct amount of friction modifier isn't it also time to change out the 247 TC fluid while adding new? You may be able to find the special 247 Mopar fluid cheaper than below and you'll need to buy 2 quarts. Mine took about 1.75-1.8 qts.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Chrys...s%2C173&sr=8-6

I've been chasing some binding on my quadra-drive system and while it was still there after changing my D30 and D44a axles it seemed to get a whole lot better in just changing my 247 TC fluid.

While these fluid changes are my 30K mile maintenance there's a real good video out there by Martin on changing the TC fluid. Know it isn't difficult but one thing I picked up on his video is he said the TC fluid for the 247 may be needed changed at 20K miles rather than 30K miles since the friction modifier may break down in the fluid quicker than thought.

I'm not sure how good that test you're doing is in just spinning the wheels by hand and it needs to be driven on a slick service to test as already mentioned. Good luck.

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
post #5 of 7 Old 04-15-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
97jeepxj1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
You likely have the same quadra-drive like I do in my 04 4.7 with vari-lok axles and 247 transfer case. If you changed the axle fluids and added the correct amount of friction modifier isn't it also time to change out the 247 TC fluid while adding new? You may be able to find the special 247 Mopar fluid cheaper than below and you'll need to buy 2 quarts. Mine took about 1.75-1.8 qts.
My wj is like yours its and 04 overland and i did actually swap the tcase fluid also when i did the axles back in june. I just got back from the salvage yard with my 242hd case i am going to swap in for more options.

I can get the front end to catch on a slick surface but still don't think the varilok works right. Granted its my first varilok so who knows
post #6 of 7 Old 04-15-2019, 12:57 PM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Assuming that your Jeep is QuadraDrive, with the stock NP-247 transfer case, did you have the transmission in park during your testing? If so, the results will be different between front and rear because in the rear the driveshaft is locked in place, while in 4 Hi the front driveshaft is not. To compare both ends, you need to test with the trans in neutral or with the t-case in 4 Lo.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-16-2019, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
97jeepxj1
2004 WJ 

Believe I had the case and trans in neutral.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in