Wanted: Used tow hitch - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 05-12-2020, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
HarveyCat

Wanted: Used tow hitch

Anyone have a used any condition Tow Hitch for my 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo? I am in Hoboken New Jersey - not looking to spend much - old and rusty is great!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 05-12-2020, 11:48 AM
VaporHeadATC

There is a classifieds section to these forums, so your question may be moved there. Anyways, I got a free hitch installed by the dealer to solve the crash recall they had many years ago, you might want to check into that.
coldspit47 likes this.
post #3 of 27 Old 05-12-2020, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
HarveyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporHeadATC View Post
There is a classifieds section to these forums, so your question may be moved there. Anyways, I got a free hitch installed by the dealer to solve the crash recall they had many years ago, you might want to check into that.
My dealer just said I had to have an aftermarket hitch already installed to get the free hitch or no dice. I need one and just bought the wj...

post #4 of 27 Old 05-12-2020, 01:41 PM
VaporHeadATC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyCat View Post
My dealer just said I had to have an aftermarket hitch already installed to get the free hitch or no dice. I need one and just bought the wj...
Odd. Mine didn't have a hitch before the recall. Some dealers are not on the same page.
post #5 of 27 Old 05-12-2020, 01:43 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I'm not sure why you'd want to buy an old rusty hitch for your WJ when you can buy a brand new Mopar hitch/receiver for less than $75 with free shipping? Edit: now I see and you're going after the hitch recall and should have known..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CBXTN471AA-...wAAOSw6zheF42i

I bought the same CBXTN471AA Mopar hitch kit from another ebay vendor last year for $68 + $10 shipping and this is the same one the dealer wanted to sell/install for $500.

I also bought the bumper bezel off ebay for about $30 and the Mopar CBXTN474AA hitch/skid braces but don't believe they're available anymore. Well guess they are available but about $15 more than I paid for mine. These are just 2 short round tube braces which attach to the skid and/or hitch and likely you could make your own.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1941912047

I should mention I haven't installed this hitch yet but know with all the research I did it's the correct one and not light duty. It's actually cheaper than those I saw online at the local junkyards or pick-n-pull. Good luck.

Edit. Oh, I see you're going after the recall hitch and that's why you want an old one to try to get new. Just as a heads up if the WJ you bought was ever at the dealer after the recall started they would have done an inspection. Reason I couldn't get a free hitch since there wasn't ever one on there before and they go by the VIN in checking.
11B-33T and JeepRonibo like this.

2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 ZJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 27 Old 05-12-2020, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
HarveyCat

How can they send that big heavy Mopar hitch clear across the country all for $75 total shipped??

He has only 7 sales... Feedback wise...

Thanks - I will do that if I can't get a dealer to do it - I did talk to them and they have nothing on file for this vin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
I'm not sure why you'd want to buy an old rusty hitch for your WJ when you can buy a brand new Mopar hitch/receiver for less than $75 with free shipping? Edit: now I see and you're going after the hitch recall and should have known..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CBXTN471AA-H...wAAOSw6zheF42i

I bought the same CBXTN471AA Mopar hitch kit from another ebay vendor last year for $68 + $10 shipping and this is the same one the dealer wanted to sell/install for $500.

I also bought the bumper bezel off ebay for about $30 and the Mopar CBXTN474AA hitch/skid braces but don't believe they're available anymore. Well guess they are available but about $15 more than I paid for mine. These are just 2 short round tube braces which attach to the skid and/or hitch and likely you could make your own.

http://www.ebay.com/p/1941912047

I should mention I haven't installed this hitch yet but know with all the research I did it's the correct one and not light duty. It's actually cheaper than those I saw online at the local junkyards or pick-n-pull. Good luck.

Edit. Oh, I see you're going after the recall hitch and that's why you want an old one to try to get new. Just as a heads up if the WJ you bought was ever at the dealer after the recall started they would have done an inspection. Reason I couldn't get a free hitch since there wasn't ever one on there before and they go by the VIN in checking.
post #7 of 27 Old 05-12-2020, 03:33 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyCat View Post
How can they send that big heavy Mopar hitch clear across the country all for $75 total shipped??

He has only 7 sales... Feedback wise...

Thanks - I will do that if I can't get a dealer to do it - I did talk to them and they have nothing on file for this vin...
Beats me on the free shipping even with their discount bulk rate.

If you're questioning that vendor you can enter in that Mopar hitch number in a search and there's a bunch of them selling the same thing on ebay. And it does come with new bolts for mounting.

Hopefully the dealer is being level with you and I don't even use the one near me anymore because of shoddy work. I do use them for some parts with a 25% discount.

post #8 of 27 Old 05-12-2020, 03:48 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

BTW, below is the thread from a year ago where I got all my Mopar hitch info for diy and the guy was a great help!

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310.../#post40585161

post #9 of 27 Old 05-12-2020, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
HarveyCat

Funny - maybe they are making it cheap so everyone puts on the safe kind. Saves them doing recall and saves them on lawsuits. They should really just do it for all WJs since the gas tank is the issue. This OEM hitch adds some more protection in a rear end collision....
post #10 of 27 Old 05-12-2020, 07:17 PM
coldspit47
2004 WJ 

i had mine until a year and a half ago just sitting in the corner...finally took it for scrap since no one seemed to want them after factory recall came out. i knew i shouldn't get rid of old parts!

JEEP. making mechanics out of ordinary folks since 1940.
post #11 of 27 Old 05-12-2020, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
HarveyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldspit47 View Post
i had mine until a year and a half ago just sitting in the corner...finally took it for scrap since no one seemed to want them after factory recall came out. i knew i shouldn't get rid of old parts!
Wow - too bad. Yeah - my wife hates my parts' piles.... She keeps reminding me to recycle.

I have a welder who could make me something out of bed frame angle iron - might not want to really tow with it - but that should make them want to get that away from my gas tank.
post #12 of 27 Old 05-13-2020, 09:39 PM
LelandGray
2001 WJ 

Junk yards are full of them!
Bigrigr and JeepRonibo like this.

2001 WJ Limited w/ QuadraDrive
Bilstein 5125's
jgcparts 2.5"/2" BB
JK take offs & 265/75R17's
post #13 of 27 Old 05-14-2020, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
HarveyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LelandGray View Post
Junk yards are full of them!
There are no junk yards near me anymore... I know it is hard to believe but it is true - even going into Newark NJ where land is cheaper has no "you pick it" places left....
post #14 of 27 Old 05-14-2020, 07:23 PM
11B-33T

2004 WJ 

I recommend you use this link: https://www.car-part.com/ to look for a part in the southwest region. You can find parts with little to no rust in AZ, TX, NM etc.
coldspit47 likes this.

11B-33T
- 2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD
- 2004 WJ Grand Cherokee SE
- 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
post #15 of 27 Old 05-16-2020, 09:27 PM
Reech
2001 WJ 

I had no luck with the dealer either about the recall because my WJ didn't have one from the factory. I know that you said that a pull-a-part or similar junk yard is not within range of you. If you do decide to go a little farther to get one, I was able to pick one up with a bumper (had factory cutout) for $50 total. So might be worth it to go outside your normal travel area depending on how far you have to go.
JeepRonibo likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in