Video: Replaced rod bearings but nothing changed - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-17-2020, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
CarComp
2002 WJ 

Video: Replaced rod bearings but nothing changed

4.7L HO (2002) Like the title says, I replaced my rod bearings. Whoever sold me the jeep definitely lied about how many miles it has on it. The bearings were wiped, but None of them had spun. The crankshaft was in OK shape, nothing crazy. The bearings had some grooves, and some of them were OK but worn badly. Two of the rods were “Wiggley“ but I don’t think it’s enough that would’ve caused my noise. Now after I’ve got the engine back together, I’ve got the exact same bonking sound. There is no oil pressure once the engine is warm. Engine noise is minimal when it is cold. Also, it never makes any noise under 2000 RPM. See the video.

I’m guessing it is main bearings. I have absolutely no way to replace these because of the engines design. I’m going to have to ignore it. It’s just in the cards for me, I cannot afford to fix it. What’s the best thing I can do to prolong the life? I’ve already put 10 W 40 oil in.

https://youtu.be/Y2nPoWP1GXc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-18-2020, 08:00 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

If you did the work, that means you probably also diagnosed exactly where the noise is coming from in the engine via stethoscope or microphone placed in several areas around the engine to listen for where it is coming from. Let's see that description.

The noise is to slow for a valvetrane issue. Agree that it sounds like a bottom-end, crank-related noise but without use of recording from under the engine.

What's the instrument being used to measure oil pressure?

Main bearings on the HO are not common fail points but if run dry, sure.
What's the service & OCI history been?
Miles?

'04 Freedom Edition HO & '04 Overland HO (previous '00 Laredo 4.7)
post #3 of 10 Old 03-18-2020, 08:15 AM
BrokeJeepJoe

Garage
If you are basing your oil pressure or lack of on the dash gauge and factory OPSU don't. Hook up a mechanical gauge for a true reading in PSI. Also, have you checked the flex plate for cracks? A broken flex plate can present itself as an engine knock.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-18-2020, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
CarComp
2002 WJ 

The engine has umpteen million miles on it. I bought it from a used car dealer. There is no service history. Seemed to run just fine. The engine blew a head gasket while the vehicle was in use by someone other than me. I replaced the head gasket, milled the heads, did it right etc. After this, during use, engine seized up / overheated. This is when the knocking started. I can only assume that it suffered some damage that worsened quickly after the repair was done. Its unknown.

At this point I realize I just had my a$$ handed to me by a dealer that sold me a shady vehicle. It probably had 90% lucas oil in it when I bought it. I've had it for too long to do anything.

.. I thought the engine bay looked just a little too clean for such an old vehicle. They cleaned the HECK out of this thing. I think that's how they got me. It was so clean, the dirt that should have been there was NOT there to tell it's story.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-18-2020, 03:00 PM
BrokeJeepJoe

Garage
if the rods were "wiggley" with the new bearings then they are ovaled out, no bearing in the world will fix that. from your last description, it needs a crank and rods at minimum. at this point I would swing a motor in it if you want to keep it. what is the mileage anyway? My HO has 240 and counting.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-18-2020, 04:24 PM
Spyder62

Broke Jeep joe, you have 240,000 miles on your HO ???? What is you’re secret? What octane gas do you use?
post #7 of 10 Old 03-19-2020, 05:29 AM
BrokeJeepJoe

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder62 View Post
Broke Jeep joe, you have 240,000 miles on your HO ???? What is youíre secret? What octane gas do you use?
240 and counting, its a daily. I usually use mid grade octane in it. I run 10/40 synthetic and a Ford FL1A filter, updated the PVC system to the newer "dodge" design. it runs like a charm every day. I bought it with 199k on it, have replaced the water pump, valve guide seals, valve cover gaskets, coils, plugs, diff fluids, and regular maintenance. I swapped the tranny with a 09 Durango Hemi 545 and installed some goodies in the trans before it went in. I swapped because mine was a little sluggish and needed a solenoid pack anyway. The vari-lok works great and next on my list is a 242 swap.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-19-2020, 06:01 AM
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

More info on the PVC upgrade please!!
post #9 of 10 Old 03-19-2020, 10:31 AM
BrokeJeepJoe

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jserna View Post
More info on the PVC upgrade please!!
its on this site, not posted by me but info provided by me. It was a TSB from Mopar per this TSB. It reduces the milkshake in the fill tube and is supposed to reduce sludge

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2006/25-001-06.htm
post #10 of 10 Old 03-23-2020, 07:38 AM
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Very cool, thanks man. I have loved Geno's for quite a few years, he has tons of great stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in