Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 Old 06-13-2021, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Carrilloaluis

post #18 of 29 Old 06-13-2021, 09:47 PM
JRobes
2004 WJ 

Garage
the engine is strong, but having that back right tire stuffed and making a lot of contact with the body could help the obstacle overpower the varilock diff. I'm not 100% sure that is what's happening, but I do hear the back right tire crunch into the body a good bit when you get stuck at the 15 second mark of this vid:

Again, assuming that isn't contributing to the issue, I'd still put it up on jack stands and try to spin one of the tires by hand. If it locks up at all, you have varilock and maybe just need a fresh diff oil change with the proper amount of friction modifier; maybe whoever did your axle/diff swap just put too much in to keep it from groaning during tight turns and that's making the varilock slip too much.

2004 WJ Overland, 4.7HO, Vari-Lock Axles, 3" OME HD/Bilstein lift

post #19 of 29 Old 06-13-2021, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Carrilloaluis

These last 2 videos i send you are from a year ago. Between the first 2 videos i sent you and these last 2, i went off roading maybe once. I hope it just needs a fluid change. Now my last question to you is this, if you look and hear the tires on the very last video is that the quadra drive kicking in after you hear the tires spin couple times? Then it sounds like it grabs, if it is i believe thats how quadradrive should perform.
post #20 of 29 Old 06-13-2021, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Carrilloaluis

Yes i agree im going to do that!
post #21 of 29 Old 06-15-2021, 06:33 PM
[email protected]

2004 WJ 

Garage
It's tough to tell, but it really looks like your front QD system is working in the second video you posted. In the last video, yes, it looks like that's about the right amount of wheel slip before the QD system kicks in. I had my QD WJ out just last weekend and definitely engaged QD on a few blue trails. It's a cool feeling when the clutches engage and you just start moving forward.

From what I've read (and I've read a lot), the QD system loses effectiveness once you go higher than 32" tires. You're pretty much right on target with your 255/75/17's. What happens with bigger tires is the ground is farther away from the axle with a bigger tire so when the ground is holding a wheel steady, it's holding the wheel steady with more force. This is why Greyhound busses have massive steering wheels...less driver fatigue. On one side you have the ground holding the wheel steady at the tread. On the other side you have the friction in the clutch disk system trying to turn the wheel. If the ground is holding the wheel steady with more force than the friction discs can overcome in the diff, the discs will start to spin against each other and this accelerates wear in the QD diff exponentially. It's not a matter of whether the engine has enough power. It definitely does. The engine will keep sending power, but the friction discs will spin before the tire does after you pass a certain tire size.

Did the shop that did your rear diff replace the whole axle? From what I've found, the QD differential is completely non-serviceable and the only way to repair it is to install a whole new carrier. The assembly seems to be about a thousand bucks new. If the shop pitched the QD carrier and put in an open carrier to save money (or a non-QD carrier from a junkyard non-QD WJ), you'd be effectively QD-less in the back. You could, however, have a real locker installed since the non-QD carrier will accept one.
post #22 of 29 Old 06-15-2021, 06:47 PM
sdg3205

2001 WJ 

It's unlikely that a shop could just swap to an open carrier. I believe even the rear axles shafts are different lengths depending on if your diff is open or varilock.

When in doubt, do a fresh change as suggested and use genuine mopar 75w-140 diff oil with mopar friction modifier.
post #23 of 29 Old 06-16-2021, 02:29 PM
[email protected]

2004 WJ 

Garage
Oops, that is correct, QD axles don't fit an open carrier. (and vice-versa)
post #24 of 29 Old 06-16-2021, 04:09 PM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Oops, that is correct, QD axles don't fit an open carrier. (and vice-versa)
True for both the rear and the front.
post #25 of 29 Old 06-17-2021, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Carrilloaluis

Im sorry they changed the whole rear axle, not only diff, they brought the axle from a junk yard. Now can a complete non quadra drive axle fit a quadra drive?
post #26 of 29 Old 06-17-2021, 10:57 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrilloaluis View Post
Now can a complete non quadra drive axle fit a quadra drive?
Yes.
post #27 of 29 Old 06-17-2021, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Carrilloaluis

Im screwed😂😂😂😂 jk ima open it up and lets see, will let you guy know in a week or so.
post #28 of 29 Old 06-18-2021, 10:14 AM
[email protected]

2004 WJ 

Garage
Silver linings my guy! Like I said before, an open D44a axle can accept a REAL mechanical locker which is better than the vari-lock setup. Beyond that, the open D44a's are kinda tough to find since most V8 WJs came with QD, and you (may) already have one! I actually pulled one from a junkyard to fill with Spartan Locker and swap into my WJ. Ideally you want a 242HD t-case also, but if you don't DD it I think you'll be fine using the 247, at least until wheeling it wears the clutches out. Then you find yourself a 242HD.
post #29 of 29 Old 06-18-2021, 05:08 PM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
I don't think they swapped an open axle in. Like mentioned an open 44A is a pretty rare bird. If they tried to sneak a 35 in they would have to also swap gears, 35's are 3:55 geared where the 44A is a 3:73 no matter open or vari lok. My 04 rear vari lok is pretty weak as well, it will spin both in snow but in dirt I get more one wheel peel then 2 wheel turn, my front seems to be just fine though.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in