• 1 Post By seasoned_geek
  • 1 Post By seasoned_geek

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-25-2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
seasoned_geek
2002 WJ 

Question Up Country Replacement Springs

All,

My Overland is mostly stock and staying that way. The PO put an aftermarket exhaust as well as a K&N intake on it, but I'm not doing any mods. I suspect one or more PO was hauling a boat which was too *(^)(*&)(ing heavy. I've noticed the ride was a bit soft and had just a tiny wiggle on occasion and last week when I started lowering the trailer I haul the mowers on (sans the mowers) I watched the rear suspension go all the way down. Some PO (Previous Owner) wiped out those rear springs with too much tongue weight. I was just going to put good shocks on thinking it was just the shocks, but, springs gotta be gone too.

I got the factory build emailed to me and it says this has the Up Country suspension. I did a bit of poking around at Orielly, Autozone, J.C. Whitney, etc. Every spring they show as "fits your vehicle" has "standard duty" without any mention of Up Country. When I went poking around for shocks I found all kinds of shocks which had "except Up Country" in their descriptions.

Looking for part numbers and Web site which has actual Up Country replacement springs for front and rear as well as Up Country shocks.

Perhaps Overland's all came with Up Country, but it is listed as an option in the factory build. I don't know much about Jeeps this new. I've had quite a few Jeeps but most were 1990 era.

Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-25-2017, 07:07 PM
blueseasons1
2000 WJ 

I can't help you with the springs. But here are the shocks that I bought for my 2000, with the Up Country suspension.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #3 of 11 Old 05-26-2017, 01:41 AM
sdg3205

2001 WJ 

Moog makes upcountry spring replacements. Available from rock auto.

post #4 of 11 Old 05-26-2017, 02:02 AM
Kolak
Vendor

MOOG makes replacements and there are also some genuine Mopar springs still available.

PM me if you'd like pricing. If you can't send PMs you can email me at [email protected]

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
post #5 of 11 Old 05-26-2017, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
seasoned_geek
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseasons1 View Post
I can't help you with the springs. But here are the shocks that I bought for my 2000, with the Up Country suspension.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks!

I did find some Up Country shocks at Oreillys Web site finally.

Can't buy from Amazon. It is a malignant tumor which will one day end the human race.
blueseasons1 likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-26-2017, 09:12 AM
blueseasons1
2000 WJ 

I was trying help you out with what to buy. Where. Is up to you. These MONROES ride a little stiff. It was an impulsive purchase for me and I was new to this Jeep at the time.. I found out later that any shock that will fit a non-Up Country suspension will work on one with. I had believed that since the springs were slightly taller, they needed a shock that was slightly taller. The Rep at MONROE told me that was not true. I would have prefered a softer ride than what I have. Live and learn.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-26-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
seasoned_geek
2002 WJ 

Quote:
I was trying help you out with what to buy. Where. Is up to you. These MONROES ride a little stiff. It was an impulsive purchase for me and I was new to this Jeep at the time.. I found out later that any shock that will fit a non-Up Country suspension will work on one with. I had believed that since the springs were slightly taller, they needed a shock that was slightly taller. The Rep at MONROE told me that was not true. I would have prefered a softer ride than what I have. Live and learn.
It has been my belief since childhood that if any Jeep other than an FSJ Grand Wagoneer with rear leaf springs "rides nice" the suspension is shot. This belief has been proven true with every Jeep I've ridden in, including my current Overland. Watching it bottom out when I lowered the empty lawnmower trailer on it only confirmed what I already knew.

Admittedly I haven't dug into the specs of Up Country. It was my belief at time of purchase the Up Country was made to haul more. Taller springs and stiffer shocks to carry more load. While any shock may fit it won't actually work, shortening the life of your springs by making them work harder.

Found a nice writeup here.

Thanks for trying to help.
blueseasons1 likes this.

Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions

post #8 of 11 Old 05-26-2017, 03:30 PM
blueseasons1
2000 WJ 

I had read that, but not before buying shocks. There was no way to tell how my Jeep rode before I replaced the shocks because the ones I bought it with was shot. Certainly the ride was much better after I replaced them though. All the information I shared came from the MONROE Rep. He made me believe the Monotube shocks specified for the UCS, were not as good as the standard shocks because they were one internal tube or valve not more than one. . I bought the MONROEs because they were affordable. Most guys favor a more expensive shock. I did all my research backwards. After I bought the shocks I started to think about adding a budget lift. Thats when I started paying attention to the shocks because I didn't want to have to replace them. Under normal conditions, they would have worked. But with the taller springs and a 2" lift, they would be way to extended and would likely cause problems. This UCS is barely noticeable from a lift perspective so If your thinking of adding a little more lift to your Jeep in the future, think it through first and not the way I did it. It came with all that other stuff like the skid plates, so for that reason. I am glad I have it.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-26-2017, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
seasoned_geek
2002 WJ 

Quote:
I had read that, but not before buying shocks. There was no way to tell how my Jeep rode before I replaced the shocks because the ones I bought it with was shot. Certainly the ride was much better after I replaced them though. All the information I shared came from the MONROE Rep. He made me believe the Monotube shocks specified for the UCS, were not as good as the standard shocks because they were one internal tube or valve not more than one. . I bought the MONROEs because they were affordable. Most guys favor a more expensive shock. I did all my research backwards. After I bought the shocks I started to think about adding a budget lift. Thats when I started paying attention to the shocks because I didn't want to have to replace them. Under normal conditions, they would have worked. But with the taller springs and a 2" lift, they would be way to extended and would likely cause problems. This UCS is barely noticeable from a lift perspective so If your thinking of adding a little more lift to your Jeep in the future, think it through first and not the way I did it. It came with all that other stuff like the skid plates, so for that reason. I am glad I have it.
I may live on a farm, but I'm not going to Red Neck this Jeep out. It's my around the farm and winter driving vehicle. I'm an IT consultant and author by trade. When I buy a newer beater Jeep I buy one nice enough to take to client sites because I don't drive my Avalon to client sites in really bad winter weather. Before I finally got rid of it my 1990 Wagoneer Ltd. had gone well beyond being able to drive to a client site in bad weather but we haven't had bad winters in these parts for quite some time. Winter used to mean you needed a snowmobile to get groceries for days on end. Now it means we get a couple of inches a couple of times.

This ride won't get a lift. I have never put a lift on any Jeep I own. That said, I had to replace the rear leaf springs in my 1990 Grand Waggie and the only replacements Kankakee Spring had started out 2" over stock until you hauled with them a little bit then the settled down to stock height.
blueseasons1 likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-28-2017, 12:46 AM
2001 WJ 

I have a set of OEM Upcountry Front springs for sale! http://www.ebay.com/itm/222501051011...84.m1555.l2649
post #11 of 11 Old 06-02-2017, 03:20 PM
granitegray
2002 WJ 

Moog replacement springs Front are 80976 Rears are 80873 shock i used Monroe mono

I just put them in mine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in