Tune up on '04 WJ Overland ????'s - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 06-20-2021, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
dig4gold
2004 WJ 

Garage
Tune up on '04 WJ Overland ????'s

2004 WJ Overland with the HO V8. How do you know if you need a tuneup? Bad gas mileage? What all do you do when tuning up. And how much might it cost to have it done?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 06-21-2021, 06:54 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Tune up means different things for each vehicle, then depending on age, it might not be the same for new as when old.

Basics for the WJ are the following:
Change all fluids:
Oil/filter, coolant, transmission & filter, brake fluid, PS fluid, transfer case, rear diff. All of those changed will run easily $900 at the dealer. Probably more.
Spark plugs changed, then change or clean the PCV valve. That's easily $250.
Remove & clean the throttle body and IAC valve. That's another $250.
Alignment, check brake pads for needing to be replaced and then change fuel filter. All of that could easily go to $1000.
Lastly is swapping the steering stabilizer and all 4 shocks for another $600-$800.

Do not be daunted by the things that need to be done/cost and instead figure out when any of these things were done last and priortize them.
There is no clear and correct single of a tune up answer unless you do them all.
Doing them all easily eclipses the current value of the vehicle.
They all might not need to be done but they should be done at some point and before they each cause an issue that creates poor mileage, bad handling, overheats the engine or fails to stop the car.

Important stuff is what will keep the engine cool, transmission healthy and combustion happening correctly. This list is the minimum:
Oil/filter, coolant, transmission & filter.
Spark plugs changed, then change or clean the PCV valve.
Remove & clean the throttle body and IAC valve.
Change the fuel filter.

Do these things yourself to the extent possible. We’re here to help you.

"We have it totally under control. Itís one person coming in from China. We have it under control. Itís going to be just fine." ~D. Trump, Jan 22, 2020.
post #3 of 23 Old 06-21-2021, 08:11 AM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

I personally use Powerfoam to clean throttle bodies and have successfully for 20yrs. Others use Seafoam. I never physically remove throttle bodies unless I am upgrading to a larger diameter on a hot rod car. Just sharing my experience.

'02 HO 235k ml. BDS, tubular arms, Addco sways. 245-70-17. Stock engine/tranny. Amsoil. W1CCW.

post #4 of 23 Old 06-21-2021, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
dig4gold
2004 WJ 

Garage
Very good y'all. I recently used Lucas Oil. But have used Seafoam.
post #5 of 23 Old 06-21-2021, 02:11 PM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
I like to start simple and also with any one part that could strand me. When I got my abused 04 spark plugs were first, they were rounded off with a gap of about an inch it seemed..(actually .079 was the worse), just that change made a noticeable difference in mileage and how it ran. Not knowing the history but knowing it was neglected I changed all the sensors, cleaned the TB and IAC, PCV, put a serp belt on it. I would call that along with all fluids and filters changed the minimum in powertrain tuneup. Cost is highly varied almost entirely on how much of the labor you can do, all the parts are pretty much the same from retail outlets. Unless you like buying at the dealer then add 10000000000000%...lol.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag
post #6 of 23 Old 06-21-2021, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
dig4gold
2004 WJ 

Garage
It's got 146K and I don't know the service history. Called 2 shops and both said a tuneup is basically spark plugs. Iridium!
post #7 of 23 Old 06-22-2021, 06:08 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Calling 2 shops to ask about the term "tune up" is like shooting a shotgun straight up in the air and wondering if the spray will come back down and where.

Because you've come here, that was a more "targeted" approach. We're much more familiar with the WJ than a routine mechanic that works on everything.
They are not necessarily wrong to just say spark plugs, but it's not a complete answer.

Since you're calling shops to ask, that tell us you're not capable of doing this yourself.
That's perfectly fine but ...is that the actual case?

Or can we help get you through this and spend a fraction of what a shop will charge?

"We have it totally under control. Itís one person coming in from China. We have it under control. Itís going to be just fine." ~D. Trump, Jan 22, 2020.
post #8 of 23 Old 06-22-2021, 07:37 AM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

I choose to run with the factory recommended spark plugs. Unless I have really hot rides an engine. Iridium etc works nicely when plug access is a nightmare. They erode far slower than standard plugs. But they give NO performance improvement. I used to build plugs and have a bit of experience here.

'02 HO 235k ml. BDS, tubular arms, Addco sways. 245-70-17. Stock engine/tranny. Amsoil. W1CCW.
post #9 of 23 Old 06-22-2021, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
dig4gold
2004 WJ 

Garage
I'm 70 and my driveway mechanic days are mostly behind me, so yes . . . I have to hire some one. These are mechanics I have used before and trust and they certainly do more than just plugs. But plugs are the main thing to replace. As opposed to when I tuned up a car with plugs, condenser, points, etc!
post #10 of 23 Old 06-22-2021, 09:30 AM
2oldjeeps

2000 XJ Cherokee 

1st jeep cher xj about 5 yrs ago, then another,then a grand cher.
all from 130000 to 180000 miles.
i do juices and needed parts.
have never seen a jeep sparkplug...maybe someday...if they run, plugs are ok...

99wj, 150,000 miles
00xj ,189,000 miles
10hummer3,76,000 miles
98xj, 133,000 miles
post #11 of 23 Old 06-22-2021, 09:33 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Thanks for the add'l info.
Plugs should be done.
Remove & clean the TB & clean the IAC.
Air filter
Oil/filter

Since you've no info on when the other fluids were changed, these are the ones that you should do to prevent the most serious/expensive issues:

Coolant. This is the most critical for the WJ. The cooling system is the Achille's heel of the WJ.
Transmission fluid. This requires the pan to be dropped and filter changed while you're in there.
Transfer Case & front/rear diff fluid. Since you have the Overland, it probably has the Quadradrive transfer case. Change the fluid in the TC and the diffs and make surte friction modifier is added to the front & rear diffs.

Brake fluid can probably wait unless you have a mushy pedal and it can be done with the next pad change. Power Steering...same. That system is probably going to start leaking from a hose anyway and adding fluid occasionally will be like a change each year but beware, not to let that system run dry. The PS system utilizes a cooling system in the PS fluid circuit that actually turns the engine's cooling fan

post #12 of 23 Old 06-22-2021, 09:43 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

TUNE UP - the phrase scares me, yes once upon a time we would actual perform tune's, todays computer controlled engines blurs the term. And shops take advantage of this gray area $$$.

1st thought WHY do you think a 'tune up' is needed? ANy issues?

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #13 of 23 Old 06-22-2021, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
dig4gold
2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
TUNE UP - the phrase scares me, yes once upon a time we would actual perform tune's, todays computer controlled engines blurs the term. And shops take advantage of this gray area $$$.

1st thought WHY do you think a 'tune up' is needed? ANy issues?
Very poor gas mileage. 9 - 11mpg
post #14 of 23 Old 06-22-2021, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
dig4gold
2004 WJ 

Garage
I had the oil changed when I got it. Service history is referring to mechanical things, not fluids.
post #15 of 23 Old 06-22-2021, 10:29 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

maybe lets concentrate on engine drivability and performance and put fluids and filters on a separate list.

OK This jeep is new to you?
Being a 2004 jeep, with a 4.7L and having 4wd - this vehicle is not going to be easy on fuel

Ideally a scanner checking for codes and looking at live DATA.
1st - Tell us does the CEL* come on at every start For @ 2seconds then go out?

FYI. The HO calls for platinum plugs.

* Check Engine Light

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in