Trouble Sourcing ATC Heater Core - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 04-29-2020, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
deeefour
2004 WJ 

Trouble Sourcing ATC Heater Core

The heater core in my '04 Limited went bad and I'm struggling to source a replacement.

Amazon and AutoZone suggest the same Spectra Premium part, but its for an HVAC with manual temperature controls. My jeep has automatic temperature control, so the way the pipes come off the heater core is quite different.

RockAuto and Summit Racing list a mopar part, but with none in stock they had to reach out to the manufacturer who has discontinued them.

Incompatible part: spectra 93069 https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi.../dp/B000IYP4AO
mopar OE part: 5101761AA

Can you suggest / link a model # that can be verified to be for an HVAC with auto temp controls?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-30-2020, 12:12 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Bummer and can see what you're saying since I couldn't find a new heater core for you either while I have the same 04 4.7 with AZC.

Rockauto used to carry the Mopar 5101761AA but not anymore since it's out of stock too.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...192922&jsn=414

And you can forget SpectraPremium making a heater core for the AZC system on a WJ. I went into their direct site and entered in the 04 4.7 Limited and they only list the model 93069 with the tubes too far apart as you mentioned.

https://ecat.spectrapremium.com/products/93069

Only posting the 2 above links to compare photos. I also saw a reviewer have them side-by-side in one of the Amazon reviews for the SpectraPremium 93069 in your link.

https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi...ustomerReviews

I'll keep searching around but even ebay doesn't look very promising.

2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 ZJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 Old 04-30-2020, 01:36 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

In going into the Four Seasons ecatalog site it looks like the 90069 heater core may work. Not to be confused with the other similar number used for the Spectra.

But they don't ask the trim, only the Limited and Overland WJ's have AZC (auto zone control), when you enter your vehicle information. Also their photos are bad where I can't tell if the tubes are close together or not? But they do get it right that it crosses with the OE 5101761AA number plus it says it only fits the 03-04 so there must have been a change in the heater core.

https://www.4s.com/en/ecatalog?part=...hrysler&type=x

While lots of Four Season parts used to be sold everywhere I'm not sure why they're showing only these stores on "where to buy" where I'm unfamiliar with almost all of them.

https://www.4s.com/en/about/where-to-purchase

I think I'd call the 4 seasons ecatolog help number (1-866-502-0068) and ask them if their 90069 heater core works with the 04 AZC/ATC system? Also ask where the best place to purchase one is or if you can purchase from them directly? I clicked on a couple of those parts store sites and it wasn't pretty. Not sure about the quality and OE would definitely be better.

Maybe someone else will have some better advice. The way things are going you may have better luck in taking your old core to a radiator shop and have them boil/flush it along with re-soldering. Just a thought and good luck.

post #4 of 20 Old 04-30-2020, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
deeefour
2004 WJ 

Thank you very much for all the looking.

I actually did call four seasons yesterday and even the tech on the phone couldn't confirm whether that very part was for manual or auto temp controls!

I also put a call into OMIX-ADA about a part they have but haven't heard back: https://www.jegs.com/i/Omix-ADA/440/17901.10/10002/-1

eBay has this, but again..can't confirm fitment for auto temp control:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/APDI-31PM71...e/163969370596
post #5 of 20 Old 04-30-2020, 06:52 AM
CJREX
2004 WJ 

Since I have the AZC I thought I might as well look into this also as one of my spring/summer projects is going to be getting into the dash.

This one on CarID looks to have the closely positioned hoses

Heater Core

But who knows how accurate the photo actually is.

It looks like both types have long pipes coming off them.

Can they not be slightly nudged to make them align with the vehicle pipes?

2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
2" BDS springs 265/70/17 Milestar Patagonia MT
Kolak exhaust
post #6 of 20 Old 04-30-2020, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
deeefour
2004 WJ 

CJREX that one looks pretty good, though it looks like the image is flipped or pipes are on backwards ... hard to tell. It certainly has the correct looking connection from the pipes to the core.

I called my local dealer. The parts guy said he could see a few 5101761AA left in detroit and ordered me one. I think it was $121 for the part and another $37 "special handling" fee. After all this time researching and calling I'm very happy to pay the ~$160.

Thanks for the help guys!
post #7 of 20 Old 04-30-2020, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
deeefour
2004 WJ 

CJREX no the heater core for an HVAC with manual temp control simply doesn't fit. The pipes I've seen for them aren't removable, so they can't be twisted into a different position. When I slid one into my auto temp control hvac there was a good 2" of the core still sticking out when the hoses made contact with the back side of the unit.
post #8 of 20 Old 04-30-2020, 02:33 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeefour View Post
CJREX that one looks pretty good, though it looks like the image is flipped or pipes are on backwards ... hard to tell. It certainly has the correct looking connection from the pipes to the core.

I called my local dealer. The parts guy said he could see a few 5101761AA left in detroit and ordered me one. I think it was $121 for the part and another $37 "special handling" fee. After all this time researching and calling I'm very happy to pay the ~$160.

Thanks for the help guys!
You're welcome deeefour and believe you're making the right decision in going with Mopar. Actually I have a new Mopar heater core down my basement and know I'll need to change it out eventually. It wasn't that long ago Rockauto quit selling them, that's where I bought mine, so can see where you found them through the dealer.

Don't buy anything labeled Omix-ADA since they make nothing of their own. They just jack the prices up of other manufacturers parts while selling them as their own. I was ripped off in buying a faulty AC condenser through them and never again.

Good luck on your install deeefour.

PS. If you find your heater core and AC evaporator are covered with dirt, dust and pollen you may want to consider installing one of the below cabin air filters.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...te-up-3717505/

post #9 of 20 Old 04-30-2020, 03:08 PM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

So when my heater core finally goes bad I can have it repaired? I put my oem one back in when I removed my dash cause it wasn't leaking yet. 235000 kms in it.
post #10 of 20 Old 04-30-2020, 03:30 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I used to know a guy who owned a radiator shop and in addition to repairing radiators they also flushed, cleaned, while fixing leaks in heater cores. This was quite a few years ago and you'd have to see if you can find a radiator shop in your area that still does these types of repairs. Lots of nasty chemicals and acids around these old-type radiator shops so with all the environmental regs now they may be real sparse anymore. Besides us being in a throw-away and replace society.

post #11 of 20 Old 04-30-2020, 05:56 PM
Chris Radley

When I did my wife’s 2001 JGC limited w/4.7 I used Mopar part # 5012691AB off RockAuto which they still stock and it fit perfect with no issues and she has the AC with the dual climate controls, IE: AZC.

Additionally, they have 5101761AA with a 1 day delay.
post #12 of 20 Old 04-30-2020, 08:38 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

That Mopar 5012691AB heater core is different, has the tubes further apart where they're soldered onto the core, than the heater core for the 04. In fact if you click on the part number with it pulled up on Rockauto you'll see the years it fits below.

JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 1999-2003

Also on the 2001 the heater core was the same for both the manual and ATZ/ATC systems. On the 04 the heater core is different for the 2 systems.

What do you know and that Mopar 5101761AA heater core for the 04 ATZ/ATC system just showed up on Rockauto again this afternoon. It hasn't been on there for a while and wasn't on there this morning. Good catch!

PS. Rockauto is a vendor on this forum and maybe somebody from there read this thread while helping to add it to their warehouse stock again?

Edit: just to add below is a link to a photo (bottom left) of the Mopar 5012691AB heater core for the 99-03 manual or AZC/ATC system.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=395&jsn=395

Below is link to the photo of the Mopar 5101761AA heater core for the 04 AZC/ATC system. Note on the 04 how much closer the tubes are together, side-by-side, where they meet the core itself.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...420771&jsn=463

I was going to post photos but couldn't copy them from RA.

post #13 of 20 Old 06-29-2020, 11:44 PM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

This kind of worries me now as I might have to pull my dash again to replace my evaporator I think it leaks now(insert i told you so here) My Heater core does not leak a drop yet though but im not doing all this again next year lol
post #14 of 20 Old 06-30-2020, 03:43 PM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...mpr/11916245-P. Advanced has this one and it looks correct any thoughts?
post #15 of 20 Old 07-01-2020, 02:05 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...mpr/11916245-P. Advanced has this one and it looks correct any thoughts?
That Mopar heater core in the Advance link is the OE 5012691AB which has the tubes too far apart for the 04 and fits the 99-03.

Advance is screwy since when I enter my 04 4.7 Limited in they say the above core doesn't fit it. But then when I do a search for a heater core which fits the exact same Mopar heater core pops up saying it's an exact fit. Click on it again and says it doesn't fit. Phooey!

Here's a photo of the Mopar 5101761AA for the 04 and note how close the tubes are together where they attach to the top of the core.

It's like a yo-yo whether or not Rockauto carries it in stock. Unfortunately it's out of stock again.

https://www.rockauto.com/?mfr=MOPAR&partnum=5101761AA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in