Trany Pan replacement w/ drain plug - Drain/refill every 15K with no filter change? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By caliskier

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-09-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
caliskier
1999 WJ 

Trany Pan replacement w/ drain plug - Drain/refill every 15K with no filter change?

What are your thoughts on saving the hassle of changing the transmission filters by just buying a transmission pan with a drain plug such as this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

And a lube locker such as this:
https://www.lubelocker.com/products/...e-rfe-llt-crfe

And then just draining and refilling every 15K miles or so and then at 100K miles replace the filters. That way I am keeping fresh fluid in there (like I do with my odyssey) and I am not pulling the pan down all the time. I see that schedule A is 100K miles and Schedule B is 30K miles, in my mind this is a happy medium. I drive this car 1-2 times a year in Colorado Snow and the rest of the time its 10 miles to work each day in Central Oklahoma, I never take it off road.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-10-2019, 04:53 AM
02Lightning
2001 WJ 

Same pan a filter I have on mine. I ended up stripping one of the bolts out, and had to put a helicoil in. I do think 15k changes is excessive.

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L NV242LD Transfer Case, 42RE, 170,000 miles
post #3 of 9 Old 12-10-2019, 07:17 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Same pan. Didn't use the gasket though. My first attempt to seal it was a failure. Took it to dealer to seal up. Worked fine, still no gasket.
I would easily go to 25K before a fluid swap and your filter change interval is fine.

'04 Freedom Edition HO & '04 Overland HO (previous '00 Laredo 4.7)

post #4 of 9 Old 12-10-2019, 09:13 AM
HampshireWJ

2003 WJ 

Drain plug in pan and a gasket makes perfect sense to me - much less potential for having to clean the drive shortly after the oil change. However, I think I would be tempted to still change the oil and filters at 30k miles - yes a little bit more hassle but only a little more cost for peace of mind. I work on the theory that I wouuldn't change my engine oil without a filter change so why would I do any different on the transmission?
post #5 of 9 Old 12-10-2019, 11:43 AM
99wjtx

2001 WJ 

Well, engine oil and transmission fluid are two entirely different lubrication fluids in two entirely different operating environments and they wear out for very different reasons.

Rage! Rage against the dying of the Jeep.

99 WJ Limited 4.7/NV247
01 WJ Laredo 4.7/NP242
post #6 of 9 Old 12-10-2019, 12:19 PM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
I just put a pan like that on mine because I'm doing an extended-period tranny flush ... drain/fill, drain/fill, drain/filter/fill. I'm overdue for drain/fill number 2 ... busy time of year and all, I guess. The fluid is actually kind of expensive to change very often, but if you drain/fill every 15k your tranny will be well protected. The drain plug makes a simple fluid drain/fill much more likely to happen than the standard pan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift
post #7 of 9 Old 12-10-2019, 07:05 PM
Mattimus_LV

2004 WJ 

Garage
Wj

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliskier View Post
What are your thoughts on saving the hassle of changing the transmission filters by just buying a transmission pan with a drain plug.....

Thoughts?
This is on my "To Do” list. It's a solid plan.

2004 WJ Overland
post #8 of 9 Old 12-10-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
caliskier
1999 WJ 

Thanks all, pressing the button tonight. BTW, on Amazon Mopar ATF+4 is $30 for 1.3 gallons.
Mattimus_LV likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-14-2019, 03:44 AM
HampshireWJ

2003 WJ 

Yep two different fluids doing different jobs, but both are used in some very similar ways - but as you rightly say they are 'lubrication fluids' - both get heated up and are used as coolants for their respective elements as well as lubricants, both get contaminated and rely on filters to isolate the contaminants, when filters get full they stop doing their job - so why on earth would you not consider changing fluid and filters in line with a manufacturers advice? Don't make sense to me - but we are all individuals free to do things as we see fit and either heed or ignore advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in