Transmission Surges into Reverse - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 09-11-2019, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
edmck101
2001 WJ 

Garage
Transmission Surges into Reverse

I have a shifting problem with my 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited with 4.7 V8 (138K miles). Each time I back up the transmission literally slams into reverse. Itís not motor mounts; they were replaced recently. In all other respects this WJ is a gem but this shifting issue has me concerned. Trans fluid (and filters) have been regularly changed and there are no problems with the motor. Before I take this to the dealer I wanted to see if anyone here could give me some direction on what to look for because I am definitely no mechanic. Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-12-2019, 10:28 AM
Oktavius
2004 WJ 

Is there a delay before is surges into reverse? I had a similar situation and ended up being the transmission cooler filter (can filter inside the transmission pan). When switching between drive and reverse, it would delay and then surge into gear. Eventually, it started having other issues and was slipping in gear and shortly after wouldn't drive. When I removed the transmission pan, the cooler filter was sitting in the pan. New filters (properly tightened) and new fluid fixed everything.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-12-2019, 03:08 PM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

What Oktavius said. That damn spin-on oil filter falls off (I suspect because of the crappy plastic threaded nipple that connects it, rather than a steel one) and funkiness ensues.

I suggest that you buy a complete filter kit. It will come with the primary filter (and seal), the return filter and a pan gasket. NOTE: There are 2 DIFFERENT versions of the kit; one for 2WD and one for 4WD. The 4WD uses a deeper trans pan, to make sure that ATF is always available at the pickup, even at odd angles). So be sure to order the correct one for your rig.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in