Transmission Solenoid Pack plastic tip broke / 45RFE - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bfry

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-22-2020, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
bfry

Transmission Solenoid Pack plastic tip broke / 45RFE

Draining fluid, replacing pack. As Iím going to put in new pack I notice that the plastic tip that fits into the plate is snapped off. Potentially silly question, but does it matter? Solenoid pack is literally screwed into place and doesnít move, but obviously that tip is there for a reason as it fits perfectly into a groove/slot/hole in the plate. Anyone know? Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2354.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-13-2020, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
bfry

Ok - so been busy and just got around to trying to finish this job today.

According to dealership tech, the "plastic tip" I'm talking about is the "center alignment dowel" and serves no function other than to make sure the the TRS plate is properly lined up - they said OK to use solenoid pack with it broken - just make sure plate is lined up correctly when attaching solenoid pack to valve body and it won't matter.

Well...

Finished installing and engine won't start and back up lights are permanently on. I originally had the black connector solenoid pack, so when I got the new solenoid pack (white connector), I made sure to also get the newer TRS plate.

So, I'm thinking either 1. The center alignment dowel does somehow matter, or 2. I installed the old TRS plate by accident (possible, but I remember double checking to make sure they were not mixed up), or 3. bad solenoid and/or bad TRS plate.

Any thoughts? Thank you.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-13-2020, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
bfry

So I replaced the “new solenoid” and the “new TRS plate” with the old ones.

I had decided to change the solenoid because the fluid had not been changed in a LONG time and car has a lot of miles, so I figured I was being proactive. Why not since I’m already when draining fluid, replacing filter, cooler filter, pan gasket etc. - should have left well enough alone...haha.

Anyhow, with the old solenoid and the old TRS, the car started fine now and brake lights behave normally but CEL threw some codes - 0736, 1732 & 1784. Guessing those are from the bad solenoid episode above - will try and reset them.

Drove car around town - it felt great, but then went to get on the highway and at about 50 mph, the car started “shuddering” pretty bad - almost felt like front end alignment was off if I didn’t know better, but given all the transmission work I’ve done I’m assuming it must be related? - no clue though - maybe I need to do the quick learn procedure?? Looking into that now...

post #4 of 5 Old 08-13-2020, 08:00 PM
Wabatuckian

2004 WJ 

Hello,

Yeah, that's your underdrive circuit. Bad solenoid.

I wonder if you can put the good solenoids in the good solenoid pack. I'll be studying my old pack and valve body shortly, but it's not out til this weekend. Not sure if special tools are needed to remove the solenoids from the pack, or if it's even do-able.

Josh
post #5 of 5 Old 08-14-2020, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
bfry

Thank you for the response - I hear you...

Fortunately, I was able to clear the codes and the car runs without them coming back on which confirms to me that the codes were left over from the "bad solenoid pack" install - I never cleared them before I re-installed the "old/original good pack". Again, nothing was wrong with my original pack, I just figured since I was down in there doing the fluid, filter etc. I might as well change out the pack to be proactive since the car has high mileage and I was able to get a supposedly reman. pack for cheap - now I know why it was cheap!

It's still shifting a little strange (TCM probably just trying to re-learn) and getting what I suspect is torque converter shudder at higher speeds (what I said felt like front end shudder above) so it looks like I'm one of the unlucky few that will need to do a "quick learn". I'm going to start a thread asking for the most efficient code readers that can perform a quick learn. I figure it makes sense to get one myself instead of taking it to the dealer every time I change transmission fluid and I just picked up another Chrysler vehicle that I could use it on as well when servicing it.

Thank you again.
Wabatuckian likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in