Transmission solenoid block issues - JeepForum.com
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 64 Old 04-10-2021, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
Transmission solenoid block issues

I was having issues with not having reverse lights and diagnosed the solenoid block as the cause. I had no issues with the transmission shifting between gears. Today I removed the SB with the black connector and installed the updated white connector SB. I changed out the detente plate also. I installed new filters and a new Lubelocker pan gasket. Reinstalled and torqued everything to specs. Put in 4.5 quarts of ATF+4. Reconnected the wiring connector and battery. Started the rig up and went to back off the ramps and the trannie is not engaging. I can put the parking brake on and shift through the gears. The shifter will not go into D1 though. When in Reverse the back up lights come on now. I'm open to ideas. I have emailed the seller and we'll see what they say.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 04-10-2021, 10:24 PM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

might check trans relay there ae several 12v supplies to trans, and reverse L1 does is not same source as shift solenoids.

Oh no my high bourbon light is on.....

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 64 Old 04-10-2021, 10:56 PM
GTP231
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Is the detent plate tight? Is 4.5 quarts enough? Last 545 I put a pack in I thought took 6. Did you do an adapt clear and quick learn?

92 Cherokee Laredo
04 Grand Cherokee Special Edition
6 in a row they kind of go

post #4 of 64 Old 04-10-2021, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
might check trans relay there ae several 12v supplies to trans, and reverse L1 does is not same source as shift solenoids.

Oh no my high bourbon light is on.....

I will check that out tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
Is the detent plate tight? Is 4.5 quarts enough? Last 545 I put a pack in I thought took 6. Did you do an adapt clear and quick learn?

The detente plate is not tight to the valve body as it has to slide back and forth. Everything I read and watched said 5 qts. I wanted to start with 4.5 and then top it off once I had it on level ground.
I don't know what a quick learn is.
GTP231 likes this.
post #5 of 64 Old 04-10-2021, 11:33 PM
GTP231
1992 XJ Cherokee 

It's a relearn procedure for the TCM. You'll need an advance function capable scan tool as I've never seen it in the more basic ones.

92 Cherokee Laredo
04 Grand Cherokee Special Edition
6 in a row they kind of go
post #6 of 64 Old 04-11-2021, 09:00 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Seems like they take 6 qts to me as well. What does your dipstick say after cycling it through the gears in park/neutral?

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #7 of 64 Old 04-11-2021, 11:50 AM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
I put near 7 qts in last time I did drain&fill. I did 3 of them over the course of a month to give me a flush of sorts, and each time it took near 7 qts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2.5" OME HD & Bilsteins
Dual Batteries
Aux Trailer Hookups (8awg charging & backup cam)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 64 Old 04-11-2021, 12:15 PM
BmoreJeepish

This is seemingly the exact issue I had when doing the repair as well. I'd advise dropping the pan and re torquing every single bolt that you touched while doing the swap. Make sure you took out the old o ring and installed the new one for the filters as well. Make sure to install it in the tranny hole (hehe), not on the filter neck. Verify that the detent plate is moving when you shift before putting the pan back in place. Apply P brake shift into 1 and then look up into the tranny and if the detente plate is no longer visible then you're good. Check the bolts being tight again then seal it up, add fluid then start it up. Should be good to go.
post #9 of 64 Old 04-11-2021, 12:20 PM
BmoreJeepish

The shifter not going into D1 is concerning, you should drop the valve body and check you installed the detente plate correctly. With the vehicle in P the detente plate should be in the very last groove possible aka as far from the SB as possible.
post #10 of 64 Old 04-11-2021, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
Thanks for all the answers guys.
I couldn't check fluid level as the Jeep was up on ramps in the front. If I pushed it back off then I had no way to get it back up on the ramps. Maybe I'll invest in jack stands.
So far as observing the detente plate movement I can't see any part of it once the valve body is installed. I did double check the torque on all bolts before/after reinstalling.
I'm hesitating on believing the quick learn is the issue because neither the service manual nor any of the videos I watched mentioned anything about doing it. I'm not ruling it out all together though.

Here's what the seller's response was:
If it won’t engage any gears, the “rooster comb” plate that goes on top of the solenoid pack wasn’t aligned with the manual shaft when reinstalling. The manual shaft is what moves when you move the gear shifter. It then moves the plate to the proper position on the solenoid, which tells the vehicle computer what gear is desired.

My reply to them was that if it wasn't moving why were the back up lights working normally when moving the shifter?
post #11 of 64 Old 04-11-2021, 03:15 PM
BmoreJeepish

You should be able to clearly see some of the detente plate when looking up from underneath with the pan off when it's installed and in P. If you're not getting D1 I'd really think the detente plate is the issue. If it were not installed properly you'd be getting reverse lights while in N I think, that would indicate the plate needs to be re positioned. I had the 545rfe maybe you have a 45rfe and I have no experience with those.
post #12 of 64 Old 04-11-2021, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
I have the 545RFE also. According everything I saw in the videos the DP was to be shoved all the way towards the detente spring which placed the spring roller up against the end of the DP, and right below the notch where the manual arm sits, if that makes sense. I'm uploading a fuzzy picture.
Attached Images

post #13 of 64 Old 04-11-2021, 06:45 PM
BmoreJeepish

That looks to be installed correctly. Aside from making sure all the bolts are nice and tight maybe after putting everything back in place and adding fluid start it up and give the fluid time to find it's way into all the places it drained from. With it started and running shift it around several times letting it sit in each position for a few seconds as I'd imagine that builds fluid pressure in specific parts of the valve body etc... just make sure the valve body is nice and snug when you go to bolt it back in place, perhaps something isn't well sealed or lined up? Also as you stated before that little hook rising up from the detente plate needs to catch that bar inside the tranny to shift but if you get reverse lights I believe that would indicate it's good.
WJ60 likes this.
post #14 of 64 Old 04-11-2021, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
WJ60

2001 WJ 

Garage
I guess I'm going to have to push it off the ramps and see if I have any fluid showing on the dipstick.
post #15 of 64 Old 04-12-2021, 05:27 AM
mak_v8
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreJeepish View Post
... I had the 545rfe maybe you have a 45rfe and I have no experience with those.
45RFE and 545RFE differ only in software; 45RFE has the same gears and parts as 545RFE, but software allows using of only 4 gears.
I don't remember in which year (probably 2001) Chrysler decided to "update" the trans letting the software using all the available gears: the name of the trans became 545RFE from 45RFE.

There is also a TSB that allows dealers to reprogram the 45RFE to become a 545RFE

Grand Cherokee WJ 4.7 V8 HO. m.y. 2002

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in