Transfer Case or Transmission Problem? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-18-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
MedleyMotoCo1

Transfer Case or Transmission Problem?

Took my WJ off-roading on it’s maiden voyage. It was fun. But I discovered a problem. There were a couple of situations where I would almost got stuck in the mud and when I was fighting back and fourth to plow my way out the Jeep would make a noise. In reverse

If I had to describe it, a really nasty ratcheting noise somewhat similar on a manual transmisión grinding a gear or gears slipping/slapping. But not as fast. Only in reverse under heavy load. Note that When I off-road I never get desperate and shift back and fourth quickly in desperation. I always push forward let off the gas let the Jeep return to idle for a good moment then reverse and repeat taking my time letting the transmission work at its pace and keep it cool.

Trans is a 545rfe my WJ is an overland edition. Trans has always been properly serviced and flushed at its mandated intervals with the correct fluid never over heated or over worked. Still shifts like it’s new nor after the off-road session has anything changed.

My transfer case is a cunundrum. Not a big fan of the 247j. Sometimes it’s difficult to engage 4lo and I have never seen the 4wd full time work the way I think it’s supposed. It never engages the front. In 4lo everything works.

Ideas? Steps to diagnose this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-18-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
MedleyMotoCo1

Favorite pic of the day
Attached Thumbnails
946FC3B2-1E5F-40EA-8489-A68785EC5F00_1574121056422.jpg  
post #3 of 12 Old 11-19-2019, 10:14 AM
LuthWJ77

Garage
Assuming that's not your Jeep in the pic if yes then this question is irrelevant, but I'd check the CV joint on the front drive shaft at the T case side. It's easy and cheap to replace. Mine did something similar on first wheeling trip $35 and an hour later it was fixed.

post #4 of 12 Old 11-19-2019, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
MedleyMotoCo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuthWJ77 View Post
Assuming that's not your Jeep in the pic if yes then this question is irrelevant, but I'd check the CV joint on the front drive shaft at the T case side. It's easy and cheap to replace. Mine did something similar on first wheeling trip $35 and an hour later it was fixed.
Yes it is my Jeep and I will look into the CV it’s a new driveshaft from tom woods but better safe than sorry
post #5 of 12 Old 11-19-2019, 12:51 PM
LuthWJ77

Garage
Ok yeah that's why I made the comment I knew you didn't have the wimpy stock DS still with the CV joint on the t case side if that was yours. I'd probably assume the TW DS is good. I'd definitely ditch the 247 with that large of a tire it's not known to work well with oversized tires in the first place and most end up losing 4H anyway. Hard to diagnose without cracking the case but if you can determine it's only doing it in 4L for example then that would give you a good indication it's related to t case.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-19-2019, 02:57 PM
Oktavius
2004 WJ 

My 247 wasn't working in 4H either. Ended up swapping to a 242HD and have been much happier with it. For my use, I rarely use 4LO but use 4 Part Time a lot and getting into 4 Part Time is way easier than 4LO.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-20-2019, 08:44 AM
LuthWJ77

Garage
shifting to 4L requires moving but less than 5mph and trans in N. If you just try to muscle it when stopped it's tougher for sure. I normally find a little hill so it'll roll backward just a bit and make my shift then. Same thing when coming out of 4L. You guys probably know this but I bet a few out there don't.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-20-2019, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
MedleyMotoCo1

Quote:
shifting to 4L requires moving but less than 5mph and trans in N. If you just try to muscle it when stopped it's tougher for sure. I normally find a little hill so it'll roll backward just a bit and make my shift then. Same thing when coming out of 4L. You guys probably know this but I bet a few out there don't.
Good to know
post #9 of 12 Old 11-20-2019, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
MedleyMotoCo1

Yep I have serious interest in swapping transfer cases either the 242hd I have seen a video of someone doing a 242amg off a hummer h2. Or an ATLAS 4 Speed. Talked to Advanced Adapters but they were like your transmission is weird you need to confirm spline count and depth and honestly I don’t want to have the transfer case out for 2 months. Is there a company that can sell me a direct fit 242hd refurbished with an SYE and possibly a lower crawl ratio gear set?
post #10 of 12 Old 11-20-2019, 09:23 AM
JeppeWJ
1999 WJ 

Hi the reverse noise seems to be common on 45RFE transmissions and possibly 545RFE too .. Everytime I put the WJ in reverse I hear a rattling sound from the solenoid and was told this is normal. The transfer case sometimes grinds when changing from Hi to Lo .. so I always change it with the engine off from now on.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-20-2019, 09:36 AM
Oktavius
2004 WJ 

Quote:
I've seen videos of people shoving the transfer case while at a stop and makes me cringe. It is like a manual transmission without a clutch or synchros. Need stuff spinning slowly to help engage.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-20-2019, 01:56 PM
99wjtx

2001 WJ 

I believe both according to the manual and also what seems like the obviously safest procedure is to either be stopped or rolling very slowly and then:

Put the transmission in neutral
Shift the case lever with a single, forceful (but not ridiculous) motion
Once you get the transfer case where you want it, put the transmission back in Drive (or 2 or 1).

When I've shifted either the 242 or 247 in this way, it is always smooth with no binding, grinding or other scary noises, though the 242 will sometimes be a bit hesitant to go back into 2WD without a couple of tries. I attribute that more to the linkage. When I've shifted or attempted to shift with the transmission still in drive regardless of whether the vehicle is stopped or rolling, I've gotten a very unpleasant "grind the gears" manual transmission noise.

Rage! Rage against the dying of the Jeep.

99 WJ Limited 4.7/NV247
01 WJ Laredo 4.7/NP242

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in