Transfer case noise - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-08-2020, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
chaplinman

Transfer case noise

Hi

My GC 4.0 has a grinding noise coming from the transfer case. It does it when turning at slow speed. At first I thought it would be the spider gears in the rear diff but when I pulled the diff cover off it all looks pristine in there with no metal in the oil or chipped teeth etc.

Today i had to take it off road in the wet and every time one of the wheels would slip and the quadra track 2 kick in it made the same grinding noises. It goes away once it gets traction. I was able to pretty much be certain its coming from the transfer case area though.

I have acquired another N247 case but its from a diesel and has some large rusty wheel type things on the outside. It doesn't look like it would be a straight swap but maybe I could swap some of the internal parts to fix it? Any ideas as to what/where to look if I do open it up?

Regards

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-08-2020, 08:07 AM
DJCantonGA

2004 WJ 

How is your front drive shaft? I have an '04 with selectrac, and I would hear a popping/grinding noise in 4WD under load. Turned out the rezeppa joint on the front d/s was bad.

2004 WJ-4.0 I6-42RE-278K-2.5" BB-265/65/17 Toyo Open Country 2 AT-Quadratec Hardrock Wheels
post #3 of 9 Old 07-08-2020, 10:57 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Service the transfer case and make sure to add a little bit of extra friction modifier with the Mopar fluid only. Then run it around 50-100 miles and see if it doesnt change or eliminate the noise

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's

post #4 of 9 Old 07-09-2020, 06:23 AM
snowbuggy
2004 WJ 

When my front wheel bearing was grinding , I originally thought it was the transfer case. keep listening.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-12-2020, 11:24 AM
wjpaul
2002 WJ 

That sounds like the front diff as that's a common sound when it is past due for service. Change the diff oil and be sure to add the Mopar friction modifier. Once done drive it in a tight circle 7-8 times in each direction. That should work the fresh lube into the clutch plates and solve your problem if it is in fact the front diff. As a minimum you have eliminated that as the problem. If/when you service the TC be sure to use only the Mopar lube for it as well.

02 GCL 4.7-QD-4" IRO CP LA lift-D44/ARB Locker-Bilsteins-Moog stabilizer-JCR slider-Falken 32x10.5
post #6 of 9 Old 07-13-2020, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
chaplinman

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

Just some more info. I changed the oil in the front and rear diffs a couple of months ago. The front is a Dana 30 and rear Dana 44 and neither should need modifier as they are open diffs. The transfer case was empty so I filled that with the Mopar fluid and replaced the seal. i also put a bottle of modifier in the transfer case seeing as I got some with my service kit and didn't need it.

All 4 wheel bearings have also been changed so I can rule those out too.

The rzeppa sounds like a possibility, i'll get under and have a look. What exactly am I looking for? Just general play in the joint?
post #7 of 9 Old 07-13-2020, 05:29 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaplinman View Post
... The transfer case was empty ...
That little tidbit of info should have been the very first line in your original post. I think that you have identified the problem.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-13-2020, 10:12 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
If you changed your transfer case fluid back when you serviced the diffs, then you should see some improvement by now(It was a little unclear when exactly you did the transfercase). If you just did the transfer case, it will take a couple hundred miles to work the new fluid into the clutches.

The front driveline is a good possibility if the fluids are not new. Also double check the axle joints? They all should be very tight. little to no play in the joints at all, when removed from the vehicle and checked.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #9 of 9 Old 07-14-2020, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
chaplinman

I've done a few hundred miles since then, changed all the fluids when I got it a couple of months ago.

I'd already convinced myself it was the transfer case. It sounds like the noise you get when you drive in 4lo on the road. I think I'll be pulling off the case but just wondered what to look for inside really. The donor case I got is a 247 but from a diesel so don't think it will be possible for a straight swap but i'm hoping any internals can be swapped over.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in