2Likes
  • 1 Post By 222Doc
  • 1 Post By HarryH3

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 08-02-2021, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Sangster

Garage
Trail spares

So this WJ I just picked up is a trail/offroad/camping toy. It's getting 6.5" IRO long arm front, IRO adjustable short arm in rear, JKS quicker disconnects, adjustable track bar, coil spring retainer, fenders cut, 35's, MOOG SD, etc...etc...blah blah blah

With regards to carrying spare axles for the D30, is there a tendency for one side to break easier than the other? For example, if I could only carry 1 spare with me....which side should I? If it's equal, I suppose I'll probably get both. But if everyone is breaking the passenger side but rarely the drivers side....then I'll just carry a passenger side.

My plan is to replace all 5 u-joints now. Any that I remove that still have life in them will become my trail spares. So that covers u-joints.

My question above covers front axle shafts. I doubt I'll carry any spare rear shafts. It'll be on 35's but I won't be beating on it, so I'll risk no D44a axle shaft trail spares.

Other than fluids, what other spare parts do ya'll carry when out on the trail?

2004 WJ Overland
2014 WK2 Overland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-02-2021, 04:37 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
well few carry axles. If you do be very sure they are mounted well some where in that jeep. real well. I carry axles in JK with D44s front and rear i run 37s and only hard and some long hard trail. To pack those axles they are just the stock ones i run Cromo's. They are mounted to a stand that goes from the bed to the "B" crossover where your 4 points shoulder harness goes. That is made from 2"x4" and is plated to the floor and bolts the B seat belt bar that is 1.5 dom. I welded on each side of that stock U bolts that each axle slips in and then bolted down. That same system can as well Vertical mount a tire in Bed. None of it will move even if it rolls. They are heavy. I do not always have them in the jeep too. I tow since if the jeeps not far from the truck parts are in the truck. Big trail that breaking an axle can happen and if it did would MURPHY and FUBAR. So I built my Axle tree/ tire mount. Having that has saved the day for others and my self. if they need those type axles... my drive shafts are all 1310 so i carry one, in case.
Why carry one side? That is like playing Harlan roulette. Short side is lighter..... rear axles weigh the most. Fronts tend to break more then rears over all. many happen in big rocks with steering at lock and in a bind. To much wheel speed then traction..... seen more axles break then i can count all kinds too. D60 d44 many d30 to many....It is a rather common trail repair on harder trails, right under tire repair. we have swapped fronts in under 30 minutes on the trail. long as nothing is else is fubar.

Packing the heep right now for one of the longest hard trail in the USA. Out in Cal, the Dusy ershem. about 3 weeks we should be on the trail and the axles are going. that is 33 miles of rock after rock takes 3-4 days min no issues. any issues can add a week...... so what axle to bring right or left? Both. or dont bother.
Sangster likes this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-02-2021, 08:38 PM
rfesu

spares are a good topic, i'm always wondering what i'm forgetting.

just some thoughts

it's really hard to carry enough hard parts like axles, bearings, u joints. if you snap a front axle or screw up your driveshaft, you could always pull all the shafts and go home in 2wd, right? you could also carefully limp home in front wheel drive if you broke a rear axle or driveshaft.

you can redneck repair a lot of leaking things by shoving a bunch of tire plugs into it, and they take up almost no space, so bring lots of tire plugs. i cracked the plastic part of a radiator (on a car, not the jeep) and managed to shove enough tire plugs in there to get home with it barely even dripping, but it took at least 8 plugs, which is an abnormal amount of them to carry...

a handful of hose menders and clamps is almost as good as carrying every hose. even if they aren't the perfect size you can just add extra clamps.

oh yeah bring a crank sensor too. i had to change one in the bush last year, they can die out of nowhere. it took hours since i didn't really plan the wrench and extensions out very well, but i got it done and got home. will plan that better next time

post #4 of 13 Old 08-02-2021, 08:46 PM
tjdhudson17890

2002 WJ 

Garage
I carry all 4 axles, starter, alternator, spare belt, cam sensor, crank sensor, bolts and nuts of different size that fit my jeep, fluids , spare oil filter and a few more odds and ends. Also if I had to I could use my front driveshaft as a rear. I probably carry more than most people but I don't have a trailer and its nice to know I could get back home. Unless something in the drivetrain has catastrophic failure I should be able to fix it on the trail. I was able to get most spares at the junk yard. I put the the junk yard parts on to make sure they worked and kept my original parts as my spares. All the parts I found were oe parts except for the starter and alternator which looked brand new.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-02-2021, 09:00 PM
rfesu

wow, that's a ton of stuff, what kind of container do you keep it in?
post #6 of 13 Old 08-03-2021, 05:35 AM
tjdhudson17890

2002 WJ 

Garage
The jeep only has front seats, so I keep the big stuff in the floor behind the front seats. Everything else is either under the fold down rear seat or in 17gallon tote.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-03-2021, 05:42 AM
tjdhudson17890

2002 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfesu View Post
oh yeah bring a crank sensor too. i had to change one in the bush last year, they can die out of nowhere. it took hours since i didn't really plan the wrench and extensions out very well, but i got it done and got home. will plan that better next time
Most parts on the WJ are easy to replace. Except for the crank sensor. I carry a long extension and a swivel socket to replace it.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-03-2021, 06:04 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfesu View Post
if you snap a front axle or screw up your driveshaft, you could always pull all the shafts and go home in 2wd, right?
It's much more complicated with the unit wheel bearing that WJ's have up front. They depend on the stub shaft and that huge nut on the end to hold the bearing together. So you would need to pull apart the CV axles and install just the stubs so that you could drive out.
Sangster likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-03-2021, 09:24 AM
smokeyyank

The downside of the WJ 30 is the CV shafts. Typically the u joint is what goes on other D30s so it's easier to just care spares and not full shafts, can't really do that with a WJ 30. Personally I would swap in u joint shafts if you're going to 35's on stock axles or look into RCV's. Better long term assurance.

As for other trail stuff beyond the basic fluids and tools. Spare belt, self fusing silicone tape, CPS sensor, hanger iron and a few other things I can't remember.

04 WJ, 4.7HO
3" IRO lift, fastman TB, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" exhaust
post #10 of 13 Old 08-04-2021, 07:31 AM
rfesu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH3 View Post
It's much more complicated with the unit wheel bearing that WJ's have up front. They depend on the stub shaft and that huge nut on the end to hold the bearing together. So you would need to pull apart the CV axles and install just the stubs so that you could drive out.
really? that's too bad. i guess i haven't looked closely enough at the front bearing, but that makes sense.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-04-2021, 03:33 PM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Extra speed sensor. There are 2 and they are the same. The trans will do evil stuff as it begins to fail.

"We have it totally under control. Itís one person coming in from China. We have it under control. Itís going to be just fine." ~D. Trump, Jan 22, 2020.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-05-2021, 01:06 PM
Spinifex

1999 WJ 

Hoses, belts, idlers, tie rod ends, assorted lengths of fuel/brake line and fluids. Spare coils and plugs.

Fit the new stuff and keep the old as trail spares. That way you a) know the parts fit, b) know how to change the part/what tools you need and c) get the best reliability to start with.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-07-2021, 08:34 AM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
I always carry the sensors that will stop progress (cam,crank pos), serp belt, bulbs, and of course all the tools to change them. On a run off road I carry the old front axle shafts, u joints, tie rod ends and the old tie rod itself, coolant, rad hoses and heater hose sections and again all the tools to fix whatever may break.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in