Thinking of the Steering Gear. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-22-2012, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
zBeeble
2000 WJ 

Wj Thinking of the Steering Gear.

I've got a 2000 WJ v8. Recently, I found my power steering reservoir empty. I filled it... and I was towing that day --- backing several times into tricky places. These maneuvers emptied the reservoir again, so I filled it again.

Now I'm back home. I'm not sure how bad it is to be leaking that much fluid, but it looks like someone has already replaced the pump. Not sure on that, tho. I've only had the WJ for 1 year.

Looking at things, the lower part of the high pressure hose is wet and the hose fittings are quite rusty. The steering gear seems wet too --- and it is also quite rusty. What are my chances here? Steering Gear, Hoses, pump. Can I get some experienced hands to chime in with chances that each are the problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-22-2012, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
zBeeble
2000 WJ 

Wj

Just had the wife turn the wheel while I looked under the hood. The leak seems to be coming from a bolt hole on the upper passenger side of the connection between the steering gear and the steering column. The fitting from the high pressure hose to this unit is dry ... as is the other fitting (low pressure ?).

The leak really does seem to be coming from the cranny between where the vertical part of the steering gear (rusty) interfaces with a shinier looking part that has the hoses going into it and connects to the bottom of the steering column.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-22-2012, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
zBeeble
2000 WJ 

geez. Replying to my own post twice.

I think that alldata is calling this the "stub shaft housing" ... it has two o-rings ... a little one and a larger one ... in the interface between the stub shaft housing and the steering gear.

Now... it also cautions that if the bearing or seal is damaged, the housing needs to be replaced.

... so if this is my leak, should I be replacing o-rings or the housing?

post #4 of 11 Old 12-22-2012, 06:26 AM
doityourselfMM

1999 WJ 

Any chance you can take a pix or two and post?
post #5 of 11 Old 12-22-2012, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
zBeeble
2000 WJ 

It's tight in there. It's also cold. By the time I get out there, I'm probably out christmas shopping.

Anyways, I'll try to post pics at some point.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-22-2012, 06:56 AM
doityourselfMM

1999 WJ 

Ho ho ho..... Tell me about it! Just want to get a better 'visual' of what you are dealing with.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-22-2012, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
zBeeble
2000 WJ 

Turns out that the stub shaft housing assemblies are all in Minnesota and won't be here until after new years at this point. They also want $370 for them. The local car quest has the whole steering gear for $299 ... so I got the whole steering gear from car quest and I'm just going to replace the whole thing. I also got the high and low pressure lines ... since the fittings are all rusted.

Once again... into the breach!
post #8 of 11 Old 12-22-2012, 10:01 PM
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

That seems really expensive for a steering box. Rockauto has them for $90-$120. Napa $165. Autozone $145. O'Reilly $142.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~Richard
post #9 of 11 Old 12-26-2012, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
zBeeble
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
That seems really expensive for a steering box. Rockauto has them for $90-$120. Napa $165. Autozone $145. O'Reilly $142.
Yeah... Different market. Chrysler wants over $500 for it and just the Stub Shaft Housing is $377. Sigh.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-26-2012, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
zBeeble
2000 WJ 

So... An update. I had a new high pressure hose (which I used), but no replacement for the low pressure hose. In the end, the low pressure hose ended up stripping the hole in the new steering gear --- so I'm going to need to see if I can convince the parts store to RMA that... dunno.

Meanwhile, you all can see the progress of the repair on my blog... the first post on the subject is here ... including some pictures.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-27-2012, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
zBeeble
2000 WJ 

Updated the blog. Called Car Quest. They have so far agreed to replace the part on warranty. He wants to see the part. I'm entertaining family today, so I'll get to removing the bad part tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in