Swapping a starter on a 4.7 is a pain - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 08-07-2020, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
2020 Blue JL

Swapping a starter on a 4.7 is a pain

My daughter called me last evening saying her WJ won't start. We tried a few basic over the phone, but no luck. I threw a few tools in a box and headed out to parking lot she was in. I checked a few things like battery voltage and connection, all was good. I tried swapping the starter relay with the wiper motor relay (they are identical) with no luck. There was a parts store in the shopping center where she broke down, so I went and bought a starter. I quickly realized I did not have the right tools with me to complete the swap. I called flatbed and had it taken home. I left my truck with her so she could get to work today and rode in the tow truck home. It took me about an hour and a half, this afternoon, but I got the starter swapped. For a minute I thought I was going to have to drop the head pipes of the exhaust to get it out, but simply removing 1 O2 sensor made just enough room to get it out and the new one in. I'm glad it worked because I certainly don't want to do that again anytime soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-07-2020, 07:55 PM
coldspit47
2004 WJ 

...so I guess you wouldn't want to hear that replacing one on the 4.0L is quicker than an oil change? Here's to hoping it's the last time you have to do that job
Mattimus_LV likes this.

JEEP. making mechanics out of ordinary folks since 1940.
post #3 of 24 Old 08-07-2020, 08:45 PM
Wabatuckian

2004 WJ 

Huh. Never had to pull an O2 sensor. Looked like I was going to have to that first time, but turns out it juuuuuuuuuuuuust squeezed past the pipes.

Josh

post #4 of 24 Old 08-07-2020, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
2020 Blue JL

Mine was about 1/4" from coming out with the O2 sensor in place. Manufacturing tolerances I suppose. I figured removing it to prevent damaging it was better than trying to force it through.
post #5 of 24 Old 08-08-2020, 05:40 AM
MuloChico
2006 WK 

I pulled mine when I did the battery cables as it was easier to run the cables. Didn't seem to have an issue. Maybe mine just likes me.
post #6 of 24 Old 08-08-2020, 06:02 AM
AVR2
Web Wheeler
2002 WJ 

Mine came out without needing to touch the O2 sensor, but the plastic electrical connector for the starter solenoid just disintegrated. That was fun to repair, given how little slack that wire has and the very limited room to work while flat on your back.
post #7 of 24 Old 08-08-2020, 06:15 AM
HampshireWJ

2003 WJ 

Mine took about 35 minutes to remove and replace, twenty of which were spent trying to wriggle the old starter out. The old starter removal was the hardest part, but no need to touch the O2 sensors. Later model starters are slightly smaller and have a different electrical connection - late will fit early but not the other way round.
post #8 of 24 Old 08-08-2020, 07:36 AM
Wabatuckian

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2 View Post
Mine came out without needing to touch the O2 sensor, but the plastic electrical connector for the starter solenoid just disintegrated. That was fun to repair, given how little slack that wire has and the very limited room to work while flat on your back.
Mind crumbled, too. I replaced it with a female spade terminal, but that was too loose and fell off. So, I made it tighter and then soldered it. It'll come off with a butane torch

Josh
Mattimus_LV likes this.
post #9 of 24 Old 08-10-2020, 11:31 AM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

just wait till you do the last 2 spark plugs and or the valve cover gaskets.
post #10 of 24 Old 08-10-2020, 12:39 PM
Spinifex

1999 WJ 

Glad to hear it was at least do-able! When my exhaust got cut off I was looking at the started thinking "Should I just change it now while the headers are off?" but it looked pretty new so decided against it.
post #11 of 24 Old 08-10-2020, 02:09 PM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Agreed that (at least for me) it was not bad at all. If you have the skid plate package, it's a little more complicated but it just required turning the unit correctly to get it out and then new one back in. I did mine in a parking lot in about 30-35 minutes as well.

'04 Freedom Edition HO & '04 Overland HO (previous '00 Laredo 4.7)
post #12 of 24 Old 08-12-2020, 08:19 AM
LelandGray
2001 WJ 

I ended up disconnecting one end of that upper control arm that's in the way. One I removed the bolt, I pivoted it out of the way and the starter slid right out.

2001 WJ Limited w/ QuadraDrive
Bilstein 5125's
jgcparts 2.5"/2" BB
JK take offs & 265/75R17's
post #13 of 24 Old 08-12-2020, 12:34 PM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LelandGray View Post
I ended up disconnecting one end of that upper control arm that's in the way. One I removed the bolt, I pivoted it out of the way and the starter slid right out.
That control arm is my gripe too. I do not even mess with the starter with the control arm in the way. Hate that thing!

Hey ... the long arm kits usually have 3-link front control arms that completely eliminate the obtrusive arm on the right side. How convenient ...
Bigrigr likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift
post #14 of 24 Old 08-12-2020, 03:44 PM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

I don't see what the deal is taking out the starter out is I've had mine out 3 times now, I remember the O2 sensor being close but I never messed with it. Does having the upcountry suspension make a difference?
post #15 of 24 Old 08-12-2020, 08:35 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
I was able to get my starter out to swap the Crank position sensor without removing the A-arm, or O2 sensor, but i do remember not wanting to do it again any time soon. I have been wishing i would've swapped in a new starter while i was in there.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in