Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Swapping a starter on a 4.7 is a pain

928 views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Bigrigr 
#1 ·
My daughter called me last evening saying her WJ won't start. We tried a few basic over the phone, but no luck. I threw a few tools in a box and headed out to parking lot she was in. I checked a few things like battery voltage and connection, all was good. I tried swapping the starter relay with the wiper motor relay (they are identical) with no luck. There was a parts store in the shopping center where she broke down, so I went and bought a starter. I quickly realized I did not have the right tools with me to complete the swap. I called flatbed and had it taken home. I left my truck with her so she could get to work today and rode in the tow truck home. It took me about an hour and a half, this afternoon, but I got the starter swapped. For a minute I thought I was going to have to drop the head pipes of the exhaust to get it out, but simply removing 1 O2 sensor made just enough room to get it out and the new one in. I'm glad it worked because I certainly don't want to do that again anytime soon.

#6 ·
Mine came out without needing to touch the O2 sensor, but the plastic electrical connector for the starter solenoid just disintegrated. That was fun to repair, given how little slack that wire has and the very limited room to work while flat on your back.

#7 ·
Mine took about 35 minutes to remove and replace, twenty of which were spent trying to wriggle the old starter out. The old starter removal was the hardest part, but no need to touch the O2 sensors. Later model starters are slightly smaller and have a different electrical connection - late will fit early but not the other way round.

#10 ·
Glad to hear it was at least do-able! When my exhaust got cut off I was looking at the started thinking "Should I just change it now while the headers are off?" but it looked pretty new so decided against it.

#11 ·
Agreed that (at least for me) it was not bad at all. If you have the skid plate package, it's a little more complicated but it just required turning the unit correctly to get it out and then new one back in. I did mine in a parking lot in about 30-35 minutes as well.

#13 ·
That control arm is my gripe too. I do not even mess with the starter with the control arm in the way. Hate that thing!

Hey ... the long arm kits usually have 3-link front control arms that completely eliminate the obtrusive arm on the right side. How convenient ...>:)

#15 ·
I was able to get my starter out to swap the Crank position sensor without removing the A-arm, or O2 sensor, but i do remember not wanting to do it again any time soon. I have been wishing i would've swapped in a new starter while i was in there.

#18 ·
I would have, had I had the starter in-hand when I did the crank.

I have an extra-long 3/8 extension I used to change the spark plugs in my old '00 Blazer, and that was a help getting on the top bolt, if I recall. (For those unaware, to change S-blazer plugs, you must pull the steering shaft and go through the wheel well to get to at least one or two of 'em :D )

Josh

#21 ·
How many miles you folks getting out of the starters? I have 02 4.7 in a Laredo, only have 65k miles on it, so curious when I might swap it. so some say move the LCA to make it easier, sounds like a plan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.