Suspension and replaceable rubber - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By GmanWJ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-26-2020, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Photoweborama

1999 WJ 

Suspension and replaceable rubber

Ok, since were talking about suspension. What parts have replaceable rubber that you just loosen the bolts and change them?

I know the sway bars rubber can be replaced this way.

And what material is best to replace it with?

Iím sure this is easy stuff for you, but a novice like me, this really helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-26-2020, 01:13 PM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

Control arms and the track bar bushings can be replaced with the wheels on the ground. The rear upper might be ****y doing it that way but I feel it's possible.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-26-2020, 01:50 PM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
My opinion: sway bar bushings (including links) can be replaced without jacking the vehicle. Everything else in the suspension is under load with the wheels on the ground, and that's going to make it difficult to remove the bolts and near impossible to put them back in. You need to get the vehicle weight off the components (on jackstands) and manipulate the axles with a jack or two and maybe a ratchet strap to get the components to line up right.

All the rubber in the suspension I can think of:
  • Sway bar bushings
  • Sway bar end link bushings
  • Control arm bushings
  • Track bar bushings
  • Spring isolators
  • Shock absorber bushings
Energy suspension makes some pretty good sway bar bushings both greasable and non-greasable, they also make some decent hourglass bushings for the end links. Control arm bushings I would just use whatever rubber replacements you can find, Crown or Mopar I guess. Spring isolators, I put some Moog in there. Shocks, whatever came with the unit work fine. Track bar ... idk, I'm using whatever IRO shipped with theirs, they are pretty tough, they feel more like rigid plastic than rubber, don't know what they are made of.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift

post #4 of 6 Old 03-26-2020, 05:52 PM
BigMateo
2004 WJ 

^^I would add to that list front axle bushings. They are a P.I.T.A. to change though. An air hammer with a chisel will pop them right out, but pressing them back in pretty much sucks though. Same with the control arm bushings, if you have a press, it's a piece of cake and bushings themselves are relatively inexpensive, but it you don't have a press it's probably easier just to buy new reproduction arms with the bushings already installed.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-26-2020, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Photoweborama

1999 WJ 

Thanks, I donít have a problem jacking it up, but I know tie rod ends need to be replaced as to just replacing the rubber, so I donít think Iíll touch those.

So the novice owner can replace sway bar stuff. I have a new track bar, so I donít have to do that. What about drag link rubber part?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 6 Old 03-26-2020, 11:41 PM
GmanWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
Drag link ends and tie rod ends are not rubber but they are covered in rubber. Most can be changed without jacking but the drag link end on the pitman arm will require jacking and removing the wheel.

Tie rod ends can be surprisingly easy, remove the cotter pin and the nut and smack it with a hammer. Drag link end on the pitman arm is hard, I needed a pickle fork, a propane torch, and perseverance.

Changing all is a good idea, I was shocked how much it improved my steering response.
Photoweborama likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok mostly just repairs, but we are closing in on a lift

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in