Superchips 3874 - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 06-05-2020, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
gsxr800

2002 WJ 

Superchips 3874

I'm trying to get personal experience with this programmer on a 4.0. I saw the thread on the 4.7 but so little info out there for the 4.0. I know its very limited with the wj's. Does it adjust for tire size? Seem to get conflicting info. Is this a year issue? any adjustment for transmission firmness shifts? HP gains noticeable? MPG increase?

02 Grand Cherokee 4.0 w/IRO 4" lift, Bilstein 5100, Adj TB, Skid Plate, 17" JK Moab w/Falken A/T3W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-05-2020, 08:54 PM
JoMc67

Garage
I have this Superchips on my 99' WJ 4.0, and 01' 4.7 Dodge Durango for the past year...

- Can load Tire Size, Idle Speed, Spark Advance (haven't used), Real-Time Data (haven't used).
- Can't change Tranny Settings (you need SCT for that).
- You have 3 or 4 x Performance Settings (including 87 Fuel Saver to 92 Performance...I've only used the 89' Performance.
- I'm sure there are a couple other features, but can't think of them at moment.

I overall like this programmer as it's another Mod to add to help MPG & Performance a little.

Joe
gsxr800 likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-05-2020, 09:12 PM
smokeyyank

It's a 4.slow for a reason. Not going to do alot for you. No it will not correct speedo. I have a traildash and mine corrects on there but not on the dash. No you wont get any more MPG. No it wont fix your shifts, get the 42re sonnax correction kit if you want that.

04 WJ, 4.7HO
3" IRO lift, fastman TB, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" exhaust

post #4 of 16 Old 06-05-2020, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
gsxr800

2002 WJ 

And this is exactly what Iím talking about. First response is it will correct for tire size and second response is no. This is why Iím so frustrated. Canít get the answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02 Grand Cherokee 4.0 w/IRO 4" lift, Bilstein 5100, Adj TB, Skid Plate, 17" JK Moab w/Falken A/T3W
post #5 of 16 Old 06-05-2020, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
gsxr800

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyyank View Post
It's a 4.slow for a reason. Not going to do alot for you. No it will not correct speedo. I have a traildash and mine corrects on there but not on the dash. No you wont get any more MPG. No it wont fix your shifts, get the 42re sonnax correction kit if you want that.

Which tune are you running? Iíve heard from others that they can feel the difference.

post #6 of 16 Old 06-05-2020, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
gsxr800

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMc67 View Post
I have this Superchips on my 99' WJ 4.0, and 01' 4.7 Dodge Durango for the past year...

- Can load Tire Size, Idle Speed, Spark Advance (haven't used), Real-Time Data (haven't used).
- Can't change Tranny Settings (you need SCT for that).
- You have 3 or 4 x Performance Settings (including 87 Fuel Saver to 92 Performance...I've only used the 89' Performance.
- I'm sure there are a couple other features, but can't think of them at moment.

I overall like this programmer as it's another Mod to add to help MPG & Performance a little.

Joe

So you noticed a difference in the 89 tune? I saw the performance chart and seems the highest octane yields best hp/torque for obvious reasons.

post #7 of 16 Old 06-06-2020, 07:23 AM
smokeyyank

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr800 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyyank View Post

Which tune are you running? I’ve heard from others that they can feel the difference.

I have a 4.7HO with a bored TB and full 3" exhaust. I actually havent even turned to tune "on" because it's already got a crazy amount of get up and go.

So after poking around a little the superchip you are referencing may change the speedo. Mine only adjusted on the unit itself, it's a 5"screen. Traildash is different from the flashpaq. So maybe I'm wrong.

04 WJ, 4.7HO
3" IRO lift, fastman TB, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" exhaust
post #8 of 16 Old 06-06-2020, 09:18 AM
DJCantonGA

2004 WJ 

I have researched the SC programmers until I'm cross eyed. I just can't see anything making a huge performance or mileage difference in the mighty 4-slow. Maybe the 4.7, never owned one.
gsxr800 likes this.

2004 WJ-4.0 I6-42RE-278K-2.5" BB-265/65/17 Toyo Open Country 2 AT-Quadratec Hardrock Wheels
post #9 of 16 Old 06-06-2020, 10:25 AM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

I removed the speed limiter on my 4.7 and it still hit at 180 kph idk why.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-13-2020, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
gsxr800

2002 WJ 

So I finally got one for $150. At that price I was willing to try it and see for myself. Only been a few days but I immediately felt the difference with the 91 octane tune. I filled with 93 octane and went. It's peppier on take off and does not seems to drag along down the road. less throttle needed for mild inclines when under way. Can't give an accurate assessment on MPG's since I've been playing around with it a lot. Next tank full I'll reset fuel average and will know. The way it has been ever since I put on 33" tires I was getting 9.6 to 10.1 MPG's so it will be easy to see if this also improved the mileage. I will update when I go thru the next tank of gas.
DJCantonGA likes this.

post #11 of 16 Old 06-13-2020, 11:31 AM
DJCantonGA

2004 WJ 

Quote:
So I finally got one for $150. At that price I was willing to try it and see for myself. Only been a few days but I immediately felt the difference with the 91 octane tune. I filled with 93 octane and went. It's peppier on take off and does not seems to drag along down the road. less throttle needed for mild inclines when under way. Can't give an accurate assessment on MPG's since I've been playing around with it a lot. Next tank full I'll reset fuel average and will know. The way it has been ever since I put on 33" tires I was getting 9.6 to 10.1 MPG's so it will be easy to see if this also improved the mileage. I will update when I go thru the next tank of gas.
Good deal, I look forward to your review. I'm really only interested in mileage these days, I have a few go fast cars lol.
mustangjoey likes this.

2004 WJ-4.0 I6-42RE-278K-2.5" BB-265/65/17 Toyo Open Country 2 AT-Quadratec Hardrock Wheels
post #12 of 16 Old 06-13-2020, 12:00 PM
wjjeep19
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Cool. Also interested in the MPG finding. Ive looked into these in the past and just could not buy the idea of this silver bullet existing.

It's important that you start seriously logging via excel or any other half decent statistics tool so that you can draw some kind of respectable analysis. It's also important you drive it the same way you normally do. Too many times people change something to get better MPGs but they also subconsciously start driving with a more fuel efficient mindset which leaves everyone guessing whether it was the person controlling the skinny pedal or the thing added to supposedly boost MPGs.

Then there's the million other uncontrollable outside variables:
- was there more traffic
- was it more windy that day or less windy
- ambient temperatures
- did you happen to sit at more red lights or less
- did you take a different road to where you were going
- did you fill up gas at a different station or fuel pump
- was there rain
- were you running late for something and so you drove a little faster
- were there more people in front of you turning causing you to slow down and then subsequently pressing on the pedal further to get back up to speed, or were there less

The list goes on. But hopefully you'll be able to draw some kind of conclusion. So far out of all my years on various forums and watching other people do these mpg tests, the best I've seen is roughly 1% better MPG which could easily be attributed to favorable conditions of uncontrollable outside variables I listed above, or the person simply was more fuel efficiently conscious and thus was better on the skinny pedal.

Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
gsxr800 likes this.

2002 4.Slow
2.5" lift
Software Engineer
post #13 of 16 Old 06-17-2020, 09:16 AM
DJCantonGA

2004 WJ 

@gsxr800 , I know it's only been a few days, but any update? With my work schedule I have to comment when I can.

post #14 of 16 Old 06-17-2020, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
gsxr800

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCantonGA View Post
@gsxr800 , I know it's only been a few days, but any update? With my work schedule I have to comment when I can.

So far it looks promising. Iím running the 91 octane tune on 93 octane fuel. Definitely feel better throttle response and a little more power. Less downshifting. And mpgís have improved. I was getting 9.6-10. Now it seems to be hovering at 10.6. Now I rarely need to travel on the interstate so these are city numbers. So when I fill the tank up again I will reset the mpg average and try to drive normally. I will also post up results after that.

wjjeep19 and DJCantonGA like this.

post #15 of 16 Old 06-17-2020, 01:28 PM
xcaliber81

2004 WJ 

Not on the 4.0 but i have been using my superchips 3874 for right about 2 years now and you won't find that you'll get much for fuel economy boost. I even ran the mileage save tune on the highway and never saw a difference worth noting and I have a pretty efficient foot but we have massive hills. If I cross over to alberta from british columbia where I live I get better economy because its flat ive noticed.

I love the tuner for the little extra gain in power but my wj is stock I dont have to worry about mods that hurt the fuel economy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in