Supercharger sounding whine above 3,000 RPM? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bigrigr
  • 1 Post By Frambo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-30-2020, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Frambo
2004 WJ 

Supercharger sounding whine above 3,000 RPM?

Hey everyone,

For some time I've been getting a loud whine when RPM are above about 3,000.

I think it's something related to the power steering system (if you think I'm wrong, please say!)

If you agree with this, do you think my first step be to replace the pulley or to replace the fluid?

It has Redline which meets the MS5931 spec but if I changed it I'd probably try another brand (limited selection here in UK).

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-01-2020, 07:54 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Pull the belt off and start the engine. It will run perfectly fine. Just be aware that the coolant is not going to circulate, you'll be running off of the battery alone and with no power steering so make this a limited-time test.
This will tell you if the whine is in fact from the PS unit or another belt-driven assembly.

'04 Freedom Edition HO & '04 Overland HO (previous '00 Laredo 4.7)
post #3 of 10 Old 06-01-2020, 07:57 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
My WJ has always had that whine, My son's does as well. I just thought it was normal for these 4.7L.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's

post #4 of 10 Old 06-01-2020, 12:03 PM
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Every 4.7 Jeep makes that noise... it’s like a signature sound effect, haha. If it becomes more than a faint supercharger-esque whine then I would try to hunt it down.

'97 XJ... 4.0 4x4 AW4. 2" budget boost w/t-case drop.
31x10.5 Cooper Discoverer ST's on 15x7 Cragar Soft 8's.
Intake, Ported TB, TB spacer, Super 40 Flowmaster.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
post #5 of 10 Old 06-01-2020, 02:44 PM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Mine has done this since I bought it. It even got a bit more noticeable after I installed a new power steering pump recently. The pump internals appear to be identical to a GM pump, yet none of my GM's have ever made that sound. Perhaps it has something to do with the sorcery involved in splitting off power to the hydraulic fan?
post #6 of 10 Old 06-01-2020, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Frambo
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
Pull the belt off and start the engine. It will run perfectly fine. Just be aware that the coolant is not going to circulate, you'll be running off of the battery alone and with no power steering so make this a limited-time test.
This will tell you if the whine is in fact from the PS unit or another belt-driven assembly.
I will give that a go with engine cool, thanks. Maybe a stupid question but I should be okay for a 2 minute drive, right? Or do I have no oil circulating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrigr View Post
My WJ has always had that whine, My son's does as well. I just thought it was normal for these 4.7L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ4oh View Post
Every 4.7 Jeep makes that noise... itís like a signature sound effect, haha. If it becomes more than a faint supercharger-esque whine then I would try to hunt it down.
Yeah I know the 4.7 scream you're talking about but this is totally different. It's a whine that is louder than anything else (exhaust etc.) over 3000 RPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH3 View Post
Mine has done this since I bought it. It even got a bit more noticeable after I installed a new power steering pump recently. The pump internals appear to be identical to a GM pump, yet none of my GM's have ever made that sound. Perhaps it has something to do with the sorcery involved in splitting off power to the hydraulic fan?
I'll take a video and upload it I think... then you can all have a listen and tell me what you think
post #7 of 10 Old 06-01-2020, 10:24 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
I look forward to the video.....We probably should've started there...
Klarah523 likes this.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #8 of 10 Old 06-02-2020, 05:32 AM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Oil will still circulate.
I would start from cold and see if you can rev the engine to 3000 before driving anywhere.
The throttle cable is sitting behind the air box if you want to actuate it manually with the hood up or just use the gas pedal.

For driving it, I'd go more towards 60 seconds. It's going to be heavy to steer no matter what and the 4.7 does not like to be hot.

'04 Freedom Edition HO & '04 Overland HO (previous '00 Laredo 4.7)
post #9 of 10 Old 06-02-2020, 06:59 AM
mudpack
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
That's good advice. ^^ While the belt is off, turn every pulley by hand to check bearing condition. Don't forget the idler pulleys.
You may find your problem right in front of you. You also might want to replace the belt with a new one while you are half-way there.....

two 2004 WJ 4.7 Quadra-Drive Limiteds
one 2012 WK2 SRT8
post #10 of 10 Old 06-03-2020, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Frambo
2004 WJ 

Okay so I have to apologise. I feel like I've wasted everyone's time.

It's been making the noise for [I]months[I].

I created this thread.

Yesterday I put my phone in the mount, turned on video and set it to record. Took her up past 3,000 and no #@&$!ing noise! Just the 'normal' whine that 4.7s make rather than this scream.

Tried again today and she's still firmly quiet.

What can I say, clearly my Jeep reads JeepForum!

Thanks everyone, hopefully the advice here helps someone doing a search in the future
Klarah523 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in