Sudden engine/ lifter noise - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 10-19-2019, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
dtlh2oguru

Sudden engine/ lifter noise

So here's the deal. 2001 Grand Cherokee 170k miles. Babied, wife's car, 4kmiles driven per year. We've had this guy since 2002.
Last week we went out for a Saturday outing, no biggie typical conditions jeep ran fine. At most 60 miles on the day.
The next morning started the jeep to move it to the driveway and clicking and tapping that's brand new. Definitely sounds like lifters.
But why all of a sudden. Thing has run like a champ for years.
Any ideas, I'm all ears

The

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-21-2019, 09:22 AM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
What engine is in your WJ? How often do you change the oil? What oil do you use?

2004 Special Edition WJ. LOADED!
2004 Rocky Mountain Edition. Froggy Bandit. Wife's Daily Driver. PRISTINE! Stock height and may stay that way.....
post #3 of 24 Old 10-21-2019, 11:21 AM
Barber613

cracked piston skirt?

post #4 of 24 Old 10-21-2019, 12:38 PM
99wjtx

2001 WJ 

With apologies - no idea about your diagnostic experience or level of expertise but I wouldn't be too hasty to conclude that there is an internal engine failure.

It's not easy to convey a sound or noise with words. It could be that an exhaust manifold fastener gave way or partially gave way allowing the heat shield to rattle.

It could be a bearing in a pulley - there are several. The PCV valve can rattle and tap, etc., etc.

See if you can narrow down the source using something to isolate the sound - a mechanic's stethoscope, a piece of tubing or hose held up to your ear and slowly moved around the engine ...

Just be careful around the belt area, obviously!

Rage! Rage against the dying of the Jeep.

99 WJ Limited 4.7/NP242
01 WJ Laredo 4.7/NP242
post #5 of 24 Old 10-21-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
dtlh2oguru

Apparently I failed to mention that this guy is a 4.0 . I've always been a Pennzoil guy and I'm using 10-30. Although there aren't many miles since last oil change. It is due.
Now here's the kicker. Yesterday I went to fire him up as I've been doing just to keep the tires moving and the battery charged. The noise went away. , sounded totally normal for about 10 minutes and then we started getting a slight tick.
Sticky lifter maybe?
Maybe I need a good engine flush.
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Greatly appreciated
post #6 of 24 Old 10-21-2019, 02:09 PM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

ive had ticks that absolutely sounded mechanical, was exhaust leak.
on 4.0 pull belt. tell you lots about rotating stuff.
they said it can be the front balance pulley coming apart.
on my 4.0 its none of that,its in there somewhere!! been doing it since i got it at 138000, now 147000, oh well...

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
post #7 of 24 Old 10-21-2019, 09:42 PM
the88thpianoman

2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oldjeeps View Post
ive had ticks that absolutely sounded mechanical, was exhaust leak.
on 4.0 pull belt. tell you lots about rotating stuff.
they said it can be the front balance pulley coming apart.
on my 4.0 its none of that,its in there somewhere!! been doing it since i got it at 138000, now 147000, oh well...
This. But if it's exhaust, it will typically present when the engine is cold, and seal up once the engine is hot.

If you've got a lifter tick, do an oil/filter change, add half a can of seafoam to the new oil, let the Jeep idle for 20-30 min, then change the oil and filter again. Repeat on next oil change or at least do another oil change after another 1000 or so miles to get rid of remaining loosened up sludge.

All that said, I've even had a worn power steering pump sound just like a lifter tick, and there is also the evap canister which is going to click away (especially in colder weather IIRC; I live in FL so mine hasn't done this since like 2012).

Cautiously using a screwdriver as stethoscope to pinpoint exact location of ticking sound is important since so many different things can sound like lifter tick. Flushing the crankcase with seafoam is not a bad idea either way as an occasional maintenance item.

2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 24 Old 10-21-2019, 10:07 PM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtlh2oguru View Post
Apparently I failed to mention that this guy is a 4.0 . I've always been a Pennzoil guy and I'm using 10-30. Although there aren't many miles since last oil change. It is due.
Now here's the kicker. Yesterday I went to fire him up as I've been doing just to keep the tires moving and the battery charged. The noise went away. , sounded totally normal for about 10 minutes and then we started getting a slight tick.
Sticky lifter maybe?
Maybe I need a good engine flush.
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Greatly appreciated
Don't flush your engine. Go with 5W30, as recommended by the factory, and get the hell away from Pennzoil. Go Mobil1 full synthetic and a better filter. Oil changes are cheaper than engine rebuilds.

I think that what you are hearing, after reading your original post, might be a sticky flat tappet lifter. These 4.0L i6s have a tendency to sound a little like a sewing machine after a period of incorrect maintenance. Treat it like an old tractor engine and it will keep running. Our 4.0s need better oil with a good ZDDP package to keep performing.

2004 Rocky Mountain Edition. Froggy Bandit. Wife's Daily Driver. PRISTINE! Stock height and may stay that way.....
post #9 of 24 Old 10-21-2019, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
dtlh2oguru

To flush or not to flush. Seafoam, Marvel Mystery , Lucas, many options. What is the best bet for cleaning up a sticky lifter. ? Or do we forget the additives Chang oil brand/ type upgrade the filter??
Back in the day with a tappit noise it was an oil change and a can of STP and vamanos.
post #10 of 24 Old 10-23-2019, 09:59 AM
DBAR0341
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyjm View Post
Don't flush your engine. Go with 5W30, as recommended by the factory, and get the hell away from Pennzoil. Go Mobil1 full synthetic and a better filter. Oil changes are cheaper than engine rebuilds.

I think that what you are hearing, after reading your original post, might be a sticky flat tappet lifter. These 4.0L i6s have a tendency to sound a little like a sewing machine after a period of incorrect maintenance. Treat it like an old tractor engine and it will keep running. Our 4.0s need better oil with a good ZDDP package to keep performing.
Oil filter suggestions? Also, what's the deal with Pennzoil, I have always used Pennzoil Platinum and never seemed to have an issue?
post #11 of 24 Old 10-24-2019, 07:44 PM
Spamoo123

I run rotella in mine since they say it has a higher zinc content. For the filter I'm using a Purolator 30001. Don't really know for sure if the larger filter does anything but I sleep a lil better at night \_(ツ)_/
post #12 of 24 Old 10-24-2019, 08:14 PM
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBAR0341 View Post
Oil filter suggestions? Also, what's the deal with Pennzoil, I have always used Pennzoil Platinum and never seemed to have an issue?
I guess Pennzoil Platinum is pretty good stuff, actually. Back in the past, Pennzoil had a high amount of peraphin wax in it. So did Quaker State. Those two brands would sludge an engine up real bad. Maybe their regular oils are better now. Who knows? I use Mobil 1 full synthetic after trying all of them. I usually use a Puralator Boss filter, or a Mobil 1 filter. I get the best one that comes with an oil-change deal, usually. About four years ago, I was given half a case of Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 from the Bantam Jeep Heritage Fest. I put it through my 2000 WJ 4.0L i6 and wasn't entirely disappointed with the results. It held up well to a 5,000 mile oil change, but the Mobil 1 stuff feels a lot better and stronger after 5K, in my opinion.

post #13 of 24 Old 10-25-2019, 10:22 AM
DBAR0341
2004 WJ 

I'll give mobil 1 a shot I'm due for an oil change soon anyway. The ticking is driving me nuts and I'm not even sure that it is a lifter issue. but after an oil change, I should be able to tell if there is a difference. I'm also considering trying seafoam and then driving like 300 miles before I change the oil. I've never used the stuff but a lot of people say it's good.
post #14 of 24 Old 10-26-2019, 11:44 AM
Barber613

There is no way that Pennzoil will sludge you engine up real bad. This is bad information
post #15 of 24 Old 10-26-2019, 02:10 PM
DBAR0341
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber613 View Post
There is no way that Pennzoil will sludge you engine up real bad. This is bad information
I don't think so either, but like I said I'm going to change my oil soon anyway so... Best case the noise stops, worst case I am in the same position but with a different oil.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in