Stuck starter motor - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By HarryH3

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-22-2021, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Skydivecarl
2001 WJ 

Stuck starter motor

Hi y'all. Every now and again when I start my 2001 3.1TD, the starter motor gives a ´Screech´ for want of a better discription, it doesn't happen much, just now and again, turn the key back and try again and it will start normally, but last night it did it again and when I tried to start it again the starter motor had jammed completely. I have tried tapping it with a hammer but nothing, ocasionally it will click once, it is completely jammed. Any ideas how to free it off..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-22-2021, 06:37 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Sounds to me like it's time for a new starter or a complete rebuild. The screech is usually caused by the drive gear not getting extended fully into the ring gear on the flywheel before the starter spins up. A good rebuild and cleaning might salvage it, but after 20 years the commutator might be pretty worn. Diesel starters have to provide a lot more starting torque than starters for gasoline engines, so they are typically much more expensive. That alone may be a good reason to try for the rebuild first.
Bigrigr likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-22-2021, 09:59 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Hopefully it hasnt stripped all the teeth off the flexplate while the drive gear was barley extending as well.....I have seen them get jammed because the teeth get ground down, then the teeth on the starter drive gear get jammed in between the teeth on the flexplate causing them to "cross thread". If this happens, its trans removal time for a new flexplate and starter....Need to get that starter out and inspect those teeth....

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's

post #4 of 9 Old 07-24-2021, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Skydivecarl
2001 WJ 

Reconditioned starter motor ordered should here in the next couple of days. Does anyone know what size is the nut that holds the front crankshaft pulley on on the 3.1 TD engine..? I can't see it to measure it because it is recessed in the pulley wheel, it is bigger than any of my sockets. I need to turn the engine backwards to try to free up the starter.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-24-2021, 06:03 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

If the flexplate cover between the engine and transmission can be removed with the starter in place, then this tool is quite handy for turning the engine: https://www.amazon.com/Performance-T...dp/B000FW4N5G/
post #6 of 9 Old 07-24-2021, 07:37 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
Harry is right again, I own one of those tools myself. Once the flexplate cover is off, this tool is easier than a socket and ratchet.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #7 of 9 Old 07-24-2021, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Skydivecarl
2001 WJ 

I have spent all morning trying to free it off, I eventually got hold of a 41mm socket and have been trying to free it via the crankshaft pulley all morning, it turns okay but when I tried it at the key, nothing not even a click, I swapped the fuses and relays too, it is as if it is not getting any current. I even removed the ignition lock and tried to turn it a screw driver because it may be me imagining it, but it feels like the key isn't quite turning as far. I am stumped at the moment and it's 45 degrees outside, I may try turning the crank pulley again later when it has cooled some. As I said reconditioned starter motor ordered, in Spain we can't just go get parts from the store or junkyard. Is it possible that it's burnt out inside, the solanoid maybe..?
post #8 of 9 Old 07-24-2021, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Skydivecarl
2001 WJ 

Thanks for the link have checked but only available in the US, it would take weeks to arrive.
post #9 of 9 Old Today, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Skydivecarl
2001 WJ 

Right, reconditioned starter arrived late yesterday, first attempt at swapping it out was a complete failure, it appears on the 3.1 TD that it is completely different from both the 4.0L and the V8 which according to all videos online seem straight forward, the 3.1 TD is not. I have dropped the front propshaft because there is not chance with it in place, I can see two 10mm bolts, and the block connecter and power wire, all difficult to access but do able, the problem is I cannot even see the third bolt or feel it (yes on the diesel starter it has 3 bolts), someone at some point must have swapped one of these starters out before, please anyone help me, where is the third bolt and how do you get it out..?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in