strange electrical issues - computer problem? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-14-2020, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
anarky321
2002 WJ 

strange electrical issues - computer problem?

this started 2 days ago out of nowhere - the instrument cluster gauges start going haywire, the brake and abs lights turn on and the odometer starts flashing.....car drives normally while all this is happening....battery terminals aren't loose....my thought is computer.....anyone have an issue like this? also yesterday after this happened i shut the car off and it would NOT crank until i pulled the battery terminal cable off and put it back on then it started up like normal

also, the check engine light is NOT on

2002 WJ 4.0L Laredo 2wd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-14-2020, 08:44 AM
007matman

Check your grounds and your battery.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 Old 02-14-2020, 02:38 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
X2 on the Grounds and battery connections. These Jeeps are VERY sensitive to bad connections...

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's

post #4 of 9 Old 02-14-2020, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
anarky321
2002 WJ 

any particular ground I should look at? It also reset my radio clock at one point

2002 WJ 4.0L Laredo 2wd
post #5 of 9 Old 02-14-2020, 06:39 PM
WICruiser
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
There are multiple connections to the cylinder block using two bolts (one on each side) that are a good place to start.

My 2008 Chrysler Pacifica shut down less than a 1/2 mile after leaving my house one day. Every light on the dash lit up and the shifter would not move out of Park once I stopped. The whole problem was determined to be a ground connection.

WICruiser
1992 Wrangler YJ Project (4 cyl, 5 speed man - going to SBC, 4 or 5 speed man)
1985 Porsche 928 Project
Chilton WI
post #6 of 9 Old 02-14-2020, 07:47 PM
Darnice
2004 WJ 

Battery terminals may not be loose but they are often internally corroded. That causes exactly what your seeing. If you notice on the post there are 2 wires. One is probably bad
post #7 of 9 Old 02-15-2020, 10:34 AM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
X2 on the Battery connections. Just because they are tight, doesn't mean they are good to go. They need to be clean and not corroded as well. If you have ANY signs of corrosion at your Batt Posts, you have a problem that needs addressing(dont forget the crusty stuff that can hide under the insulation near the cable ends).

Search for Uniblurbs awesome ground write up in this forum. It's one of the best i have ever seen. If you have a bad ground connection, and you follow his lead, you will find it.

If your clock is getting reset without human interaction, then you have an intermittent connection somewhere that is loose or dirty. Find the cause, and you fix your whole problem.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,3"BBfront,2"BBrear,JK'sW/32's
post #8 of 9 Old 02-15-2020, 11:06 AM
eljeepwj
2003 WJ 

x3 on battery connections! I had the same thing happen on mine. But what really gave it away was the battery voltmeter on dash that would slowly creep up almost to the red line then everything would flash including headlights. Cables looked fine but then when I cut some of the tape off the ground wire there was a lot of corrosion. Replaced everything with 2ga wire and problem immediately went away.

2003 Jeep WJ 4.0 2in IRO w Procomp Es9000 on d windows 245/75/r16 DD
post #9 of 9 Old 02-15-2020, 11:54 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Thanks Bigrigr and below is the ground write-up I did.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310...-info-4192594/

It doesn't really take that long to check/clean all the engine compartment grounds and best of all it's free if you do it yourself. Also clean the grounds on the sides of the engine block including G103 on the passenger side block which grounds the PCM. You can see photos of these block grounds in the "Edit/addition" section at the end. It's easiest to reach these block grounds if you don't have it lifted by jacking the front body up behind the rear tires but leave the axle down.

There's a G200 ground under the console for the instrument cluster but cleaning it involves removing the console. It sounds like you have more of a problem then the cluster though especially if it won't start. Like others said make sure your battery cables/terminals are good and good luck.

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in